• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

closing off TS tunnel

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I am considering closing off the front section of the tunnel where the tubular frame is. I know a few guys have done it just looking for so feedback on the results Problems etc . I am planning on attaching to the bottom of the structure in hopes of keeping the brake and back of the engine more free of snow.

I was thinking on using .125" UHMW sheet and machining some some clamps to attach it to the tube structure.

My main concern is by closing it off I may end up carrying snow on top or that snow may cause to much drag

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
lots of us have done it. I use the same fire retardant fabric that we build engine jackets from. double over the edge and sew it then use grommets for your holes to pass the fasteners through. Works great to keep the snow that gets tossed into the air intake area and back of the engine, helps with the brake - but making a brake pocket out of it for the disc is more effective on the brake icing.

18 oz/61" Industrial Coated Vinyl with Fire Retardant - BLACK - works great and is super light weight

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
It helps a lot to reduce wet butt due to shielding the muffler from snow spray as well.

I always have stayed above the tube frame to allow pressure to escape out the sides.If you close it of bellow the frame you generate a high pressure area that robs power in deep snow. I also have it cover all the way down behind the engine so you do not have the track constantly throwing snow at the engine messing with operating temps. Also if you go below the tube frame you will carry around 20 to 30 pounds of snow that you may not want thee. I just use 1/8 inch Teflon impregnated plastic. Nothing sticks to it

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
muncher, what thickness do you use for that? 1/16 - 1/8? I'm interested in trying that on the ARO this season. I also make a rear curtain for engine containment, but the teflon sheet for horizontal surfaces sounds awesome.

P
Nov 27, 2007
who do you source the vinyl from?

18 oz/61" Industrial Coated Vinyl with Fire Retardant - BLACK - works great and is super light weight

Who do you source the vinyl from?

Thanks!

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Tunnel cover

I used a mudd flap from a semi (plastic one not rubber)and rubber coated automotive clamps to clamp on to the tubing which worked great and looked pro and price effective. However the down side is a build up of ice, had to cut it back to just in front of the break rotor to let the snow and ice out. Overall very clean and neat.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
interesting ideas i like it

hey Muncher can you post some pics of your setup i'm have trouble visualizing it
thanks

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
this is what I ended up with. .125 HDPE attached with powder coated aluminum U-clamps , tee nuts on bottom and short button head screws. Under the center section the plastic goes all the way forward curves down and rests between the lower link mount to direct snow out instead of on onto the engine.

close off 1.jpg close off 2.jpg

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
this is what I ended up with. .125 HDPE attached with powder coated aluminum U-clamps , tee nuts on bottom and short button head screws. Under the center section the plastic goes all the way forward curves down and rests between the lower link mount to direct snow out instead of on onto the engine.

Well done, that looks great!

HenryTheHammer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT

That looks super clean, nicely done. Where did you source those clamps from?

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Thanks ! I made the clamps. I am a machinist/shop supervisor so I have access to everything I need. I cut the clamps and plastic with our water jet. I even do the powder coating.

Really nice looking but it seems like snow will collect on top of the cover and IN the frame.

Let us know how that works.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Really nice looking but it seems like snow will collect on top of the cover and IN the frame.

Let us know how that works.

Im sure it will but it cant be as bad as injecting snow into the brake and on the back of the engine which is what my main concerns are. I will just have to clean it out at the end of the day to keep it from freezing into a solid block

Premium Features