• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

85 phazer burndown

hunterdon

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Deer Lodge, Montana
Hole in pto piston, broken ring land in mag piston, severe heat but no seizure, evidence of plenty of oil still on crankshaft and in bottom end. They were riding double on a warmish day and sled was working hard. Cooling belt is fine, carbs are clean. I cannot upload photo for some reason. Thanks for reply.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Looks like it was plenty lean. I would check the roundness of the cylinders before going any further. Is the head warped too ? On a fan cooled sled you should be able to tell when they're getting hot. When they start to smell hot and lose power it's time to cool them down.

Ken.............

hunterdon

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Deer Lodge, Montana
Ok - got it rebuilt - oversize bore. This sled had an Aaen single race pipe on it. I still had a stock pipe in my collection of phazer stuff so I put that on. The carbs had been drilled out for pipe use to richen the midrange so it will be way fat with the stock pipe. The sled had lots of miles with the pipe and zero issues until this meltdown. The only strange thing I found was the pulse line was off. The pulse line was really hard and brittle.
After a couple more heat cycles in the shop I will see how she does on the snow. Cheers.:eyebrows:

K3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2010
Portland,Oregon
Glad it worked out for you all, just replaced vac line on one of mine pin hole crack by fuel pump wouldn't allow high rpm bogging thought it was fuel pump diaphragm, glad it didn't do like you!! I have another mt. Lite with pin hole piston clutch side also, how much was parts for ya @ ??? Hopefully. just piston & rings ect. we'll see when open up??? Thanx Kory

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I can see that happening because basically they were riding it with very little fuel in float bowls due to the fuel pump not pumping gas so it would have been lean as heck. I had a dealer leave off the impulse line when they rebuilt a Phazer 2 and it would run until the float bowls emptied out. When it sat for a bit the bowls would fill back up again due to gravity flow through fuel pump so it would go again. Luckily I found it about the second time it quit. If they were riding it slow enough the gravity flow into the float bowls may have been just enough to stop it from quitting altogether until the meltdown occurred. I put on an Aaen quiet pipe and did the nozzle mod for the midrange after that and put on 7000 Km without a bit of trouble before we sold it.

K3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2010
Portland,Oregon
Wished I could post pictures better than I can text or respond, tried manual & tapatalk ended that because it was suppose to be easier, I will try the OLD school way!!!

Premium Features