• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sidewinder Intercooler Vent Kit

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
So before I bought my 2018 MTX I read between couple forums people had issues with their intercooler piling up with snow.
Lincoln County Customs (LCC), installed my EVO Stage 4 kit, Bullet Exhaust, Clutch kit, Viper Steering Post, Avid drivers, plus revalved my shocks for heavier than the 150-175 average rider they designed for. I voiced the concern I read about and here is the solution. This is a prototype, I'm sure they would build more if the interest is there. I cant speak for them so here is LCC's number 307-654-6637,

IMG_6415.jpg IMG_6421.jpg IMG_6428.jpg IMG_6429.jpg IMG_6432.jpg IMG_6435.jpg

Last edited:

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
did you get a chance to run this in some deep snow. I installed an arctic cat grill and ran a prescreen on it. ran this setup in revy on weekend but still built up bad with ice

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Nothing like the snow you all have. One day we had decent 10-15 inches untracked powder and didn't get any more build up than what you see iced under the intercooler in the pics. I did notice the snow that was getting in was getting in from the shock well and not past the vent kit. That said...my intercooler would have definitely packed full if I didn't have the kit in place.
Still no snow here so haven't been out since New Years. Will post further if/when we get snow.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Sherwood Park, Alberta
There is a company in Alberta called All Go Customs that makes a nice front piece.

https://www.facebook.com/allgocustoms/?fref=gc&dti=351052355368451&hc_location=ufi

23632137_10155928630278967_5460273499593968887_o.jpg

23916341_10155953356733967_5182531737862303148_o.jpg

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
ya seen those, but haven't seen one actually work in the deep and keep it clear. and at 400 bucks its a bit steep. I did the same thing for less than 50 bucks.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
First they are not all $400, I don't know where that came from. All the colors are $350 Cdn except the yellow which is $375, because we couldn't find a paint match close enough for our picky taste, so it's powdercoated.

Any design or method I have seen will get snow behind it or have ice build up except ours. If you have a recessed area it will collect snow, turn to ice, and continue to build and cover the face. This is why we spent 3 weeks making several versions until we arrived at the production piece that we made a mold for. It is tight and flush to ALL sides, no place for snow to sit and collect or get behind. It also clips in the top just like the factory and uses the single screw location to mount on the bottom. No cutting, hacking, or altering anything on the sled. Completely factory look.

This is a fiberglass frame made from a mold, finished with Line-X Ultra, 1/8" expanded aluminum grill bent and waterjet cut, frogskined, and assembled. Start to finish it is about 2.5 hours of labour. We built it out of a need, No one is getting rich on a 10% profit, and that's after you pay off the R&D and mold costs lol.

If you want to buy the AC grill and frogskin it you should. I'm sure you could do it even cheaper than that. We chose to build something that looks like it belongs on your new 20K sled because we have the ability to do so.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/soundobsessionslloyd/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155928629118967

Last edited:

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
375 plus tax is pretty close to 400 where I come from, splitting hairs. if you read my earlier post you would have seen I said the cat grill and prescreen didn't work that great. how bout some pics in the snow instead of on shop floor?

personally I think these sleds will need something like this or have to move intercooler up top like the 1100's, especially if a guy is running a flash such as the Evo. stock probably not a big deal other than weight build up. ANy testing been done on intake temps with this vent vs stock?

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I prefer to split hairs down where I come from lol, and again, one color is $375. The price is what it is, and I've shown why it is. Buy it or don't, both good with me. Such is the internet.

I did read your earlier post stating it didn't work that great, which made me wonder why we would say it only cost $50. It could cost $5 but if it doesn't work does it matter how cheap it is?

This a FB group page for Mountain SW/KC guys. Some testimonials from guys with them there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/351052355368451/

Riding with over hood snow is still going to collect from the bumper holding it, especially more protective bumpers, but no snow is going to stick to the grill or collect on it. Moving it up high like an 1100 won't get anymore air thru it because of the orientation. I've sold hundreds of Evo intercooler fan kits for 1100s. It dropped intake temps for mountain sleds 30-40 degrees. I have a feeling that will be the same on the SW. Even if the grill is free and clear the speeds mountain sleds move will not pound air thru the i/c. But keeping cold air available for a fan to force air thru it will be the most efficient use of the i/c, just like it was on the 1100s. Evo built a bigger i/c for 1100s and in mountain testing it wasn't a big enough change to warrant the cost so they didn't produce it. The fan kit was far more efficient and cost 60% less.

You can see snow packed in around the shock tower and there is no snow to speak of on the i/c grill. You can make snow stick to almost anything in certain conditions but this is the best defense it will have.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1769162556713646&set=gm.362151357591884&type=3&theater

Last edited:
S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
just wanted to chime in and say I am a firm believer that we get what we pay for that ALL GO IC. cover looks nice and has a very snug fit in all corners on top of that it looks like it would take a good beating and be ok...is it a little pricey well yea 350 isn't cheep but once again we get what we pay for! we are facing the same problem with the snow packing in their {well my riding buddy I ride a turbo 2smoker} I don't think hes going to choke down 350$ for that right now as he just dropped 17000$ for the sled and now he is dumping 500-600$ on clutching so for now we are going to do a wrap with frog skin {a yard of frog skin was like 40$ shipped}like yours roughriders but its going to be a temporary fix until the sting of 20000$ missing out of his wallet has faded and then he will be looking at something like that nice cover that looks like it belongs on the sled and does a better job than a quick fix that we are going for now. but good job justboostit that looks like a nice quality peace!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Slightly off topic, and I'll start with saying that I'm not as well versed with the Sidewinder as I am with the Nytro or Viper, but has anyone tried out a water/air intercooler with the sidewinder? If I remember right, boost-it (?) in Canada had some good setups on their Nytros a few years back. A water/air setup might help with the low airflow in the mountains too.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I would half to agree moto. that a water to air cooler would eliminate the problem fully! the cooler could pack shut and if the cooler was looped in to the coolant lines it would still function and keep charge temps down... the only downfall is that it would add extra weight to the nose of the sled... might be a sacrifice worth making thou! seams to me that they could lighten up on the coolant fins to allow snow to get in and out and melt away and embrace the fact that the IC. is low and scoops/catches snow to keep the temps in check! it is so crazy that we play in snow but struggle with simple things like keeping charge temps down! the water to air is probably the best solation...

Premium Features