• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK TURBO

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Think I understand what you're saying, but the oil wouldn't be reintroduced into the intake stream at all. It'd be rerouted directly back to the case from the turbo. Essentially you're taking the 2 stroke oil, routing it to the turbo first and then plumbing it back into the case where it was originally hooked up from the factory.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I think one of the benefits of running the oil through the turbo is the oil hits the reeds, which will likely improve reed life in turbos.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Oil could not be drained to the boost side of the turbo as boost pressure would slow or possibly even stop oil from flowing through the bearings. You dont want positive pressure on the oil drain side of the turbo restricting oil flow.

This, but to add, the dynamic seals in the trubo cartridge cannot handle any kind of restricted oil drain. The reason that it works at all is that the drain in this kit is plumbed into a low pressure area, thus the oil is "sucked" out of the cartridge. Plumbing the drain into the crankcase would introduce a host of new issues, due to the fact that dynamic seals are not a positive seal, and it is extremely dificult to have a positive seal on a shaft that spins in excess of 100,000 RPM. So, while the oil pump is positive displacement and can inject oil into a vessel carying 25+ PSIG pressure, the dynamic seals in the turbo will not seal against this, and your oil will end up splitting pathways between the compressor and turbine side seals, thereby wasting at least half of your oil out of the exhaust.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I can't believe how simple this system is. A couple of brackets, new airbox and sensor, install injectors, reroute the oil lines and bolt the compressor on. Simple download of a fuel Map and good to go. Why would you want to bother with adjusting fueling and playing with maps when 90% of the guys I ride with just want to ride, and not stare at guages. Nice work MTNTK.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Hi, I'm Ben, and I've been off boost for a full seaon now...

Feels like an aa intoroduction...So just looking at the different options for boost after next season and reading through this thread. (gotta buy a house and ranger before an extra sled and boost)

First off I think it's a brilliantly built kit. I like 8-10 psi at sea level, so I didn't pay too much attention to the kit at first. Then I hear they are offering bigger injectors, but the comments on the bigger injectors has me questioning my motor knowledge. I had always thought the lower the elevation, the more dense the air, the higher the absolute manifold pressure (atmosphere + boost), the more oxygen going into the cylander, the more fuel required for proper burn. So why is it that the high elevation riders are the ones needing the bigger injectors?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
As I understand it, the Turbo increases boost to compensate for altitude. Say you're running 8psi @ sea level, it'll maintain the same power at 10k by upping boost to say 12 psi (just guessing at psi figures, only an example....) from what mtntk has told me, you'll run out of injector around 10psi. If you want more than 10lbs mtntk ain't it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
With the new bigger injectors you are capable of way more than 10 psi. Once you go over 10 or so you need inter cooler options for those super long pulls.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Stock injectors are sufficient for 5psi at sea level or 9ish psi at 10000ft. Larger injectors are no problem for 10 psi at sea level and will still supply fuel for 15psi at higher elevation.

D

DYEMAN

Banned
Feb 21, 2008
MTntk turbo kit was easy to install , very good instruction ,around 6 pds of boost was fun but wanted more . Install larger injectors , running 9 pds on manual boost guage 140/285 ft spring and 68.2 grams of weight stock polaris weights , engagement at 3850 / 3900 straight shift to 8000-- 8100 rpms stock rear clutch set up , works very well . Shawn said it's good to 12/13 pds safe on av gas . I like its performance at the 9pds the mapping seem very good , no need ofor intercooler .temps taken in the intake at the foam before entering the turbo ( was 59 deg ) outside temps 20 above , also using the blow hole to keep clutches cool , the blow hole is a must have , helps vent the whole engine compartment ,very inexpensive set up . Shawn the owner is great to work with , he will take your call and or get back to you in short order ?. 10/11000 ft

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
MTntk turbo kit was easy to install , very good instruction ,around 6 pds of boost was fun but wanted more . Install larger injectors , running 9 pds on manual boost guage 140/285 ft spring and 68.2 grams of weight stock polaris weights , engagement at 3850 / 3900 straight shift to 8000-- 8100 rpms stock rear clutch set up , works very well . Shawn said it's good to 12/13 pds safe on av gas . I like its performance at the 9pds the mapping seem very good , no need ofor intercooler .temps taken in the intake at the foam before entering the turbo ( was 59 deg ) outside temps 20 above , also using the blow hole to keep clutches cool , the blow hole is a must have , helps vent the whole engine compartment ,very inexpensive set up . Shawn the owner is great to work with , he will take your call and or get back to you in short order ?. 10/11000 ft
Intake temp is 59 deg before entering turbo?

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
ok

Intake temp is 59 deg before entering turbo?

I know what you are saying. The intake temp BEFORE the turbo should be outside temp. Put your hand on the intake box after a long pull IT IS HOT.

This turbo setup works great. You will notice on a LONG pull up a steep and deep hill the turbo will become heat soaked and it does lose power towards the end of the climb. An intercooler would solve this. Just havent figured out how to incorporate a cooler with the oil injecting back into the intake.

This turbo in my opinion wasnt designed to make the huge pulls and shute climbs. It was designed for the 95% of guys who do the more above average riding and hill climbs. NOT THE EXTREME. It runs AWESOME in the trees and technical riding and your average everyday ride around home. I think it is the best built ALL AROUND USE turbo out there. \

Just my .02:face-icon-small-coo

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I know what you are saying. The intake temp BEFORE the turbo should be outside temp. Put your hand on the intake box after a long pull IT IS HOT.

This turbo setup works great. You will notice on a LONG pull up a steep and deep hill the turbo will become heat soaked and it does lose power towards the end of the climb. An intercooler would solve this. Just havent figured out how to incorporate a cooler with the oil injecting back into the intake.

This turbo in my opinion wasnt designed to make the huge pulls and shute climbs. It was designed for the 95% of guys who do the more above average riding and hill climbs. NOT THE EXTREME. It runs AWESOME in the trees and technical riding and your average everyday ride around home. I think it is the best built ALL AROUND USE turbo out there. \

Just my .02:face-icon-small-coo
I agree, definitely a low boost system. 56 deg intake temps 9 lbs boost 6000 ft.
Didn't do the math but charge temps would very high. I had this on my old Silber system. Big pull and the sled would be running well, then intake temps would rise to a point that it just won't make power anymore and you have to turn out. Always at the worst time. Water 2 Air on my Boost-it kit never gets hot.

Last edited:
S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
What is everyone running for gauges? Or are you just using the bullydog and the docking station?

moto_786

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2011
I'm running the bully dog gt and a separate boost gauge from MTNTK super easy instal hooks right up to the turbo housing.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Is an a/f gauge even needed? My concern is running enough octane for boost at sea level... Is there any correlation between a/f and octane or not?

Premium Features