• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber turbo update map

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Just got off the phone with a reed expert at one of the big companies and he said the damage could be related to reversion while the crankcase is under boost and even though it looks like physical damage (which it may be) when that happens it will erode the reed tips. More boost = more reversion and that would explain why they last longer at low boost. He also said it possible for us only to see it in one part of the cage.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Does anyone know if the same engine is used in any marine applications. Cause that's what boondocker uses for Arctic Cat Suzuki engines. Their reeds are heavier duty and last longer.

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Does anyone know if the same engine is used in any marine applications. Cause that's what boondocker uses for Arctic Cat Suzuki engines. Their reeds are heavier duty and last longer.

I don't believe so.

Over the weekend, pulled apart a '12 and the bottom pedals were trashed. Stock sled 1,100 miles.

A

asker

Apr 26, 2008
Sweden
Before:
oxDfSjkl.jpg

After:
7bnzeDHl.jpg

YNxNqNKl.jpg

Have also done the "roof" in the reedcase.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Well on top of the reeds opening and closing at least a 100 times a second, the fuel that passes by them softens the resin that is used to manufacture the pedal, which also causes damage. Maybe more fuel is pulled up? And maybe the fuels we use accelerate this process? Also add in some extra heat from the turbo...

Some things to consider, I don't believe the resin is softened by the fuel, stock sleds are notorious on reed failures also. I have stacks of them. The picture is from a stock sled and a new pedal. I believe you are on the right track though. The resin wears to the glass and then the reed fails. If you look at the underside of the reed(picture) you will see the resin has been relieved to the glass. This is noted on all failures. Does the roof and floor of the reed cage nest produce a more turbulent airstream due to its Venturi type nature? Don't know. Doubling up the top and bottom reed almost eliminates this issue.
Edit: Has anyone tried a reed spacer or two?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features