• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 6 year olds mod sled

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
This has been my project the last 2 weeks. Since there are not many options for sleds for 6 year olds I thought I would fix his 340 up that he rode last winter. I just need to find a snow flap, bolt the seat down and put the little plastic covers on the bumper ends. The skid is out of a 96 ultra and the track is an old yamaha track I had laying around. The seat is the original foam I cut down and had upholstered. It will not have much power turning that big track but it should tractor around pretty good, he only weighs 60 pounds.He is pretty excited to ride it.
DSC09942.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC09941.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC09940.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC09939.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC09938.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC09937.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC09936.jpg
[/IMG]

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Nice I got a buddy that has one with the polaris skid, grate never a problem

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I hope the steel skis aren't a problem. Ski skins help, but then the profile goes bad and they don't steer as well. Although the steel skis never did have much for a biting edge I guess.

I don't think you have messed up any re-sale value either. That should make a decent hand-me-down to somebody else's kid when the time comes.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
hows he suposed too catch airmiles with running boards like that lol jk nice build

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
what exactly did you have to do to mount the ultra skid? looks like you moved the fr arm hole back about 2 in, and mounted the rear arm on stock mount in rear hole? was thinking about doing same thinking while back so no point in reinventing the wheel some quick skid mounting numbers would be appreciated.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
The steel backer plate on the front mount has a hole already it is just not drilled through the tunnel, that is the hole I used. I had to move the back bracket back and rerivet it. I just measured the center to center on the ultra that it came out of and made it the same so the suspension should work good, no binding or anything. with any luck he will get to ride it next weekend.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
A couple pics on the snow.:face-icon-small-hap
DSC00181.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00187.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00190.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00188.jpg
[/IMG]He loves this sled now. It floates really good with a 60# rider.

C
Nov 26, 2007
kalispell, MT
GET THAT mudflap off before it BLOWS UP!!! Nice job on the machine! I had the same machine in red, while my brother had a black one- some GREAT memories:face-icon-small-win Ours didn't have the long track tho...

I've always wondered if there was a plastic ski that would hold up to the leaf spring- as long as the mount(simmons style) was long enough, it should hold up, right? Plastic would make it float/steer SO much nicer, and those burly 7 year old arms wouldn't take so much of a beating!! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. bruce

Premium Features