• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo and the Diamond Drive?

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I recently bought a used 2007 Turbo M1200 162". This sled has the original mechanical reverse DD with 60/60 gears. The previous owner said he has never had it apart, just changed the oil religiously with no problems. I had a chance to run the sled last weekend and it runs out of gear right away...I'm at sea level. I want to put some more gear in it but I don't want to waste money on a set of BDX gears for this case if it's prone to failure and I've read about many failures on this site with this case with stock M1000's.

Curious what you turbo guys are running for DD's? Have most of you gone with the Diamond Lite drive or do you just keep a spare on hand? I do have a spare 2007 M1000 DD.

Thanks!

F

Firecat162

Nov 7, 2008
British Columbia
I ride a TM1000 race gas sled. The original mechanical reverse DD grenaded with less than 100km on 16lbs of boost!! Went DD Lite with High Torque gears and never looked back.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
I've had great luck with my 07. It did fail after two years and 1500 miles. I just finished putting black diamond gears in it as well as a larger bearing. If you maintain them and don't mash the throttle over a whopped out trails you will be fine. I ran 12-14 pounds on my m8 turbo. I can't deal with no reverse so I'm sticking with the stock dd.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I've had great luck with my 07. It did fail after two years and 1500 miles. I just finished putting black diamond gears in it as well as a larger bearing. If you maintain them and don't mash the throttle over a whopped out trails you will be fine. I ran 12-14 pounds on my m8 turbo. I can't deal with no reverse so I'm sticking with the stock dd.

If you do want to keep reverse but want to put in a Diamond Drive Lite you can install a 09 and up ECU and have reversing engine and lose 11lbs. of rotating mass.
And I just happen to have one for sale....:face-icon-small-hap

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Do u know if it will work on a 08 m8 electronic reverse

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
thats alot cheaper than a new sled thanks for the info

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
The problem with the 09 ECU is I don't think it will plug into the 07 main harness? My 07 ECU has two different size connections. I happen to have a main harness for a 09 M8 and the connections to the ECU are both the same size, both big. Maybe 08 is different?

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
The problem with the 09 ECU is I don't think it will plug into the 07 main harness? My 07 ECU has two different size connections. I happen to have a main harness for a 09 M8 and the connections to the ECU are both the same size, both big. Maybe 08 is different?

Yup, it's a pretty good project to rewire an 07-08 to take the late model ECU. The hardest thing is finding a plug to replace the smaller plug. I did one and it worked out great. If you are used to chasing electrons it's not too hard to figure and it's really cool to have the ccu and engine reverse on the same sled......nice to have the dc circuits for stuff.

Probably the easiest way is to buy an 09 wiring harness and it's plug and play except for the voltage regulator.

Sorry..back on topic.

Premium Features