• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need opinions on seize piston/cylinder, M1000 BD.

10000ft

Dec 27, 2007
Replace a cylinder yesterday with an OEM piston and millennium recondition cylinder. I warmed it up in the garage several time to make sure coolant was circulating.

Warmed up the sled good before riding and it never cooled down longer 5-10 minutes. The sled seizes but never stopped, but as you can see, the piston came in contact with the cylinder.

Could the cylinder have been wrong diameter, it seemed to hit the cylinder below the exhaust port. The only reason I noticed the damage was I pulled the exhaust valve to look at wash. Need some opinions.

Thanks …

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
That what new new pistion burn down looks like

Just got to warm to fast and yes it was probable a little tight. When I put a turbo on a new sled I try and get 3-4 rides before I push it then I am safe.You can try the 09 M8 break in witch as to over heat it 3 times with out going over 6k rpms. Just hone that cylinder out and do it again. Good luck.

3. Elevate the rear of the snowmobile on a secure,
shielded jack stand.
4. Slowly vary the engine RPM and throttle position
gradually from idle position to a maximum of
6000 RPM until the Coolant Temperature Warning
Icon stays constantly lit while making sure not to
exceed 6000 RPM. Continue varying the throttle
and RPM for an additional 1-2 minutes.
NOTE: Make sure to lubricate the slide rails with
water or other appropriate coolant/lubricant to prevent
melting of the wear strip.
5. Allow the engine to cool to ambient temperature
(at least 30 minutes).
NOTE: Repeat steps 2-5 at this point.
6. As part of the standard operating procedure, operate
the snowmobile during the first 1 to 2 miles
under 6500 RPM to properly warm the engine
prior to extended wide-open throttle use.

Last edited:

10000ft

Dec 27, 2007
Look at this comparison picture; the cylinder has an out of round area at the top of the exhaust port. The millennium cylinder is not beveled back like the stock cylinder. The piston slightly comes in contact with cylinder.

Premium Features