• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What kind of track speed are you getting and how???

T
Jun 17, 2008
track speed , on which day and in which snow condition ? changes regulairly with these variables .
zx chassi in deep snow wont achieve a high track speed due to tunnel clearences . it can only process so much snow with out a drop and roll.
how big you are and what track you are useing dictates a bunch as well .

track speed , on which day and in which snow condition ? changes regulairly with these variables .
zx chassi in deep snow wont achieve a high track speed due to tunnel clearences . it can only process so much snow with out a drop and roll.
how big you are and what track you are useing dictates a bunch as well .

I am talking about the arm pit deep light powder on a 40 degree slope. Good point about the clearance Al.

I am running a15"X151" 2" lugs and am a big guy at 6'3" and 240 lb. That being said, I'm not looking for 60 mph track speed... I just want to maximize the track speed with what I have... I think that I should hold a solid 45 mph on the steepest and deepest fluffy pow and with a few of the suggestions (jetting, clutching, gearing...) I think that I should get that.

NOW... if I do a drop and roll... I won't be running a stocker track that is for sure but that is a different discussion all together!:p

T
Jun 17, 2008
best we got out of the zx was by useing a 19/45 and the secondery the stock track didn't offer a lot of loading as compared to say the 04 track . the track will dictate the helix used with this gearing .
straight 40 degree helix and make sure the bushing clearence on the big iameter bushing is not to loose .
this kills a lot of potential track speed if the secondery sheave can **** sideways a bit and add drag on the up sift and screws the back shift .
most noticable in deep powdeer .
use a new stock sec spring .
primary 415 ramps with a 160/320 primary spring , again make sure the spring tower cap to shaft clearence doesnt allow for much side play , same reasoning as the secondery bushing when it is to loose a fit , cross binds .
again you wont notice the wear on the flats in the bushing s but in the deep snow it is crucial that they are a tight fit , not worn.
pin weight 14.5grs with a stock roller or 1mm over size roller with 12.5 gr pin weight .
over size roller works well with the gearing and shallower helix than the stock 44 degree helix it came with . there again the 44 was good in a less loaded situatiion .

track tension needs to be enough slack as to not have the track over tighten on the compression of the suspension and squeezing off track speed here . common mistake . but on the zx chassi this is a ticklish measurement as with out antiratchet sprockests it is easy to get the track tension to tight .

back to playing with gearing ,i have fit a 19/47 into the chain case and this allowed me to use a much taller helix . the taller angle helix allows for blistering track speed acceloration and the gearing allows the system to not be to over loaded on the back shift under full power .
top speed is no more than 70mph on the flats but in the steep anddeep this como can deliver the highest track speeed .

but track speeed is limited to that darn ole tunnel clearence .but for as good as it gets that what i have played with that delivers . im 220 , gear on im 300lbs so it should work for ya to .

Premium Features