• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bike, on the street, runs shockingly cold anyway

B
My Beta is a Triple Sport and I've been riding it to and from work and in the mornings it has been from 40-50 degrees F and the bike has been running from 120 to 160 F. I had never paid attention to the temp-I'm pretty sure that the sensor is from the coolant.

My bike has never made oil in all the past year as I had gotten the bike new 02/22/2017 and just rode blissfully ignorant of what the temp was on the roads all spring and all fall and into winter. Here I was, worried this past winter when I'd ride in the powder and the temp would be from 130-160 F. Now I just won't worry as much.

I do know that this summer, in the heat and in the slow going in the woods that the temps get a lot higher but it seems that the bike is made more for warm ambient temps than colder winter riding.

It will be in the 50's on the ride home after 5pm today so I'll see what the temps will be on the ride home.

B
It’s amazing how cool these bikes run. My husky even with the 175° thermo bob installed would only run 150 or less on the street.

I won't worry about it as all last spring and this past fall I had never even bothered to notice the temps and it was never an issue with making oil or anything like that.

My bike has been setup with both a T-stat and fan as a dual sport bike so I have to figure that the cooler temps are somewhat accounted for.

In the summer the bike runs hotter but I've never had a boilover or overheat.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My Husky FX 450 runs as low as 120 on dirt when it's 45 degrees out just cruising around. Temp measured by the fan kit sensor between the fins. Pretty easy to boil over on a tight trail riding the clutch when it's 90+ before I put the fan kit on it. 1.25 quarts of coolant isn't a lot to work with!

B
This morning was milder, 53F and the temp was from 150-160 on the 5 mile ride into work on easy city streets, from 25-40 mph.

Rolling on the road/streets is a lot easier on the motor than running in the snow, that is for sure.

Premium Features