• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My first miserable day

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I take it that no one here ever had the "enjoyment" of the original timbersled (simmons) 6" wide ski? try one of those out on hardpack, or any snow for that matter, and you will never complain again.:face-icon-small-win

That is an evil suggestion sure hope only masochist will try that one. Them were the scary days
Makes one wonder what we thought pushing ahead anyway building this sport to what it is now.
I personally build several skis and every one was saver than what the kits came with back then.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
LOL , no it's a face planting mother but if you want a ski with the least amount of resistance in rip arse mode there is no other .

It makes it a lot easier ripping threw trees .

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Track & rails

Contoured may flat track it definitely made a difference But not a total cure still pushes side to side imo more drastic contour & rails closer together would make the difference. We’re still in the Snomobile track faze. Need to remove the ridgedness of the track. Makes me wander how the camso compares. Might be my next bike or wait till someone moves the rails together

B
Feb 18, 2009
I rented a snowbike last weekend and despite really wanting to like it I have mixed feelings. It was a Camso kit on a YZ and all seemed to run well however it was a pita on the trail. To me the front end just feels too heavy and unbalanced. I could not imagine spending the day on that bike! I had all but given up on it then spent about 30 mins in some fun hills with mostly setup snow and it was a blast. So much more fun in spring conditions then a sled. The other big issue for me was the seat. It had a "Seat Concepts" seat the the guy said was way better then the factory seat but after only 1 hour on the machine my butt was so sore I didn't want to ride it any more. I stand all the time on my sled but standing on the bike did not feel very good at all, to say the least.

B
There is no cure for the trail. (Period-full stop). The tall 2 1/2" paddles, coupled with dual carbides and in the case of the DTS 129 metal skeg's on the outside of the ski, outside of freshly groomed powder, the ski wants to follow all the other grooves in the trail and for those who are not used to riding on the trail, it is a workout and exhausting. Even with me and having ridden the bike a LOT on the trails and O/T this past winter, my mind is always going 'Relax, let the bike go where it wants, just lean and relax the upper body'. Resistance is futile on the trail and there is no solution for it other than to Man-Up, keep on riding the bike on the trail, and get stronger and better at it. There is NO other way until they make a "Ski for Sallies" that is easier to ride on the trail, which is just not going to happen. This ain't snowmobilng.

I happen to love the stick the DTS ski has and have pretty much found the limit of traction from the front. It is work but at the same time, I ride down the groomed trails, thinking 'This IS a lot better than the most perfect dirt trail so I'm going to go with it.' And for me, it is true. The groomed trails are better than the best dirt trail, smooth but just with that sort of locked-in feeling from all the other ski grooves but once one gets the hang of it, and really, has the strength to lean and let the bike go and trust that the bike is going to be be fine, then it has been for me.

Off trail, forgetaboutit. The snowbike is the B-A-L-L-S !

Last edited:
Premium Features