• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New CMX track reviews??

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Not that I have any direct knowledge of the new CMX track, that is why I started this thread. But I would be a little careful of people who tell you that both Maxtracks are complete garbage. I say that because in the right snow conditions they work quite well, which is light, fluffy, dry, cold Canadian Rocky Mountain pow. I suspect that the people who hate them ride in heavier, wetter, or more set up snow, where the Maxtrack 1 ( that I have) for sure is way too soft and folds over very easily. Maxtrack 2 that you have I don't know about. So before you pony up the US $900 (129") or so for a new track consider what type of snow you ride in mostly because that does make a difference.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
I am loving my CMX track with the ARO ski on my 2016 TS MH 120. It’s great in the powder! The ski is a handful on hardpack, but I avoid that as much as possible. Hoping for a “gold” center skag soon!

Are you having any issues with the chain hitting the track or is that sorting itself out? Are you running the 16 spindle with your ARO ski?

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Not that I have any direct knowledge of the new CMX track, that is why I started this thread. But I would be a little careful of people who tell you that both Maxtracks are complete garbage. I say that because in the right snow conditions they work quite well, which is light, fluffy, dry, cold Canadian Rocky Mountain pow. I suspect that the people who hate them ride in heavier, wetter, or more set up snow, where the Maxtrack 1 ( that I have) for sure is way too soft and folds over very easily. Maxtrack 2 that you have I don't know about. So before you pony up the US $900 (129") or so for a new track consider what type of snow you ride in mostly because that does make a difference.
It's true.They are not complete garbage by a long shot.Some of the differences in tracks and kits and bikes are very subtle and not life changing like some people make them out to be. I used the Maxtrack 1 for a full season of Kootenay mountain snow and loved it. In the spring it felt kinda like a burned out knobby on your dirt bike but it didn't stop me from getting anywhere. Now my favourite riding partner is still running that old track and it is all anyone can do to keep up with him.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC

I probably should clarify where I ride :face-icon-small-hap PNW Cascade Concrete land. Definitely need stiff lugs that don't fold over here. Even then, we get it deep often, and the stiff lugs held their own.
25668638257_3ded99d947_h_d.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
Where the Maxtrack does actually work as in blower the CMX/Camso track still works better. Its the superior track, it flat out works better in every type of condition.

M5

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Chris and I were out that day from his photo together, the ARO seemed to hang with the CMX pretty equally, but I think the CMX had the edge. We had a 120 and 137 ARO out there and all 3 of us we're climbing some serious step and deep. Chris' max 2 before he swapped to the CMX seemed like a bald tire compared to the ARO, that CMX was amazing. He was wheeling up 45 degree inclines in 3 feet deep semi dry fluff... the thick lugs seem to be the night and day difference on 17 to 18 TS and on the new CMX.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I'm sold on the monorail like I've said before I think all kits will have it. Its just that much better. Now we just need someone to make one with better suspension than the Camso kit. Hey Camso that could be you yah know.

M5

We need a 137 snowbike version of the Artic Cat Alpha suspension.

just need troy mclure to sell it :face-icon-small-hap
latest

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I find the CMX on my Yeti to work great. Climbs faster and better than the Max 2. I also notice the bike doesn't need to spin the CMX nearly as much. I found it to be more stable on the side hill where the MT2 would feel looser and not as stable. I also noticed in a uphill climb I could actually turn it on a dime when just about to get stuck, it just doesn't get stuck like the old track. Will ride it some more and see how it does in different snow. Not the cheapest track to buy LOL

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
Are you having any issues with the chain hitting the track or is that sorting itself out? Are you running the 16 spindle with your ARO ski?

I cut my track when I installed it. I wondered if letting the chain do the work could tear more than needed. I see no issues with it after a 12+ rides.

I am running the 16 spindle with the ARO ski.

proretro

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2012
I find the CMX on my Yeti to work great. Climbs faster and better than the Max 2. I also notice the bike doesn't need to spin the CMX nearly as much. I found it to be more stable on the side hill where the MT2 would feel looser and not as stable. I also noticed in a uphill climb I could actually turn it on a dime when just about to get stuck, it just doesn't get stuck like the old track. Will ride it some more and see how it does in different snow. Not the cheapest track to buy LOL

Hey did you have to cut the CMX track to fit it in your Yeti?

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
Is this track somewhat tapered at the edges? Its hard to to tell in the picture on the CMX website but it looks like it is slightly.

I'm seriously considering 129 rail extensions and this track for my 16 st.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Still no answer. Why is everyone in the snowbike business so incompetent and have such horrible customer service?? I just don’t get it. Trying to spend thousands of dollars here and buy parts from people is like pulling fkin teeth.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Still no answer. Why is everyone in the snowbike business so incompetent and have such horrible customer service?? I just don’t get it. Trying to spend thousands of dollars here and buy parts from people is like pulling fkin teeth.

The new track jus kills the mnaxtrac 2, I have both

M
Jan 14, 2004
Basically the same track will be on the 2019 Yeti so for Canadian guys it may be easier and cheaper to buy it from Yeti next fall.

M5

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I’m seriously considering it. I threw it on a stand and found a loose heim joint in the rear end now. It’s nefer ending.

As far as getting the track from yeti, those guys are absolutely horrible to deal with so far this winter.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Yeti vs. Camso.

Winter 2016/17, while on a back country skiing vacation, we rented two Yetis in Revelstoke (450 FX and 300 SX)...had a blast, just had to get into this.

Fast forward to winter 2017/18 in Ontario. We now have two Camsos mounted to our two ultra light weight :face-icon-small-ton 300 XCWs. Didn't get many riding opportunities this winter. We did not get the storms Ben got on the East coast. But enough to compare with last winters experience.

For us light guys the Camso track really hooks up. Maybe the Camso does not have as much suspension but depending on your weight and the riding terrain and altitude, Camso has a lot of redeeming qualities. We all need to get over the exotic materials and see the merits of simplicity. One centre rail...seems to make all the difference.

Premium Features