• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

14 pro bully dog silber bogging

snosfun

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
N of Great Falls, MT
So I'm switching sparkplugs and verifying exhaust valve operation per Cory's recomendations for starters. Plugs probably won't make any difference since the ones I'm pulling out are the same as the ones going in (Polaris number(GR9A-EG) vs. NGK number(BPR9ES)). Going riding tomorrow. We'll see.

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
Rolly View, Alberta, Canada
http://youtu.be/S4LwvWThIjQ
Hope the link works. Shows the bogging issue.

I have the same bog that shows up in the video except for the very top of the pull where if fluctuates. Only difference is I have the boondocker turbo kit but the bog is the same so i don't think this is a silber-bullydog issue but a polaris issue.

Been chasing this problem since the turbo install and can't ind a solution yet. Have been working with my turbo dealer on this but so far are stumped on what could be causing this.

Just wondering if you guys that have this bog have tried some of these things that I have.

1st off if you run say 4 to 5 pounds of boost I seldom will get this bog but it still happens. Next turn up the boost to 6 pounds and it happens more often then not. Turn it up to 8 pounds and its there all the time if you stab the throttle. If you ease into the throttle it seems to be fine. Also running higher octane fuel seems to be worse to for bogging. Checked reeds they are fine. Changed plugs to iridium and helps but very little. Gap at all different settings .018 .020 .022 all the same results. Checked and cleaned the power valves but did not do anything really of any help also plugged the power valve hose so that the valves open sooner but it did not help.

Just wondering if this is a ignition issue with spark failure at higher boost levels with spark failure in one plug and would changing to a non resistor plug cap help this out.

If its a power valve issue could maybe just installing a heavier power valve spring help out this bog since at lower boost levels it seems to be better.

if anyone has tried the non resistor cap or heavier power valve springs let me know if it work out.

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK

Liv4turbo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2011
Milton-Freewater OR
Help

Not trying to cut in I'm not on snowest much anymore but we have 6 sleds out with the new bulldog tuner on them that have not missed a beet yet knock on wood 3 of those with the rkteck drop in kit that really run. Anyways you half to be missing something simple exhaust donut boost leak something these things rip.

Last edited:

jrnbrg

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2008
Norway
Bog egen stabbing throttle..

I have the same bog that shows up in the video except for the very top of the pull where if fluctuates. Only difference is I have the boondocker turbo kit but the bog is the same so i don't think this is a silber-bullydog issue but a polaris issue.

Been chasing this problem since the turbo install and can't ind a solution yet. Have been working with my turbo dealer on this but so far are stumped on what could be causing this.

Just wondering if you guys that have this bog have tried some of these things that I have.

1st off if you run say 4 to 5 pounds of boost I seldom will get this bog but it still happens. Next turn up the boost to 6 pounds and it happens more often then not. Turn it up to 8 pounds and its there all the time if you stab the throttle. If you ease into the throttle it seems to be fine. Also running higher octane fuel seems to be worse to for bogging. Checked reeds they are fine. Changed plugs to iridium and helps but very little. Gap at all different settings .018 .020 .022 all the same results. Checked and cleaned the power valves but did not do anything really of any help also plugged the power valve hose so that the valves open sooner but it did not help.

Just wondering if this is a ignition issue with spark failure at higher boost levels with spark failure in one plug and would changing to a non resistor plug cap help this out.

If its a power valve issue could maybe just installing a heavier power valve spring help out this bog since at lower boost levels it seems to be better.

if anyone has tried the non resistor cap or heavier power valve springs let me know if it work out.

I had some trouble with a bog when stabbing the throttle on my boondocker kit last year.. It would bog if i didnt ease into boost. That was caused by compression beeing a tad on the low side, and the motor struggeled to burn all the fuel thrown in at low rpm/beggining to build boost..

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
My sled had 4 miles on it in my video (now around 40 miles). It did from the get go. Doubt mine is a compression issue seeing its a brand new sled...

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
Good point about the exhaust donuts. will check this out. as for boost leaks nope none to be found. Also have the dropin kit installed 50 miles before the turbo went in. compression is right up there.

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
Will add more here from my notes. I have all so noticed that when the bog occurs my air fuel ratio gauge does jump up to around 17 -18 yet when there is no bog at times the ratio is fine at around 12.5. Did try messing with fuel numbers but it did not help

I did manage one time to do a rpm record on the polaris gauge and it showed the rpm rising to 7000 rpm then hold there while in the bog. hope this helps in diagnosing there bog problem.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Double check your blue 3 bar map sensor. Make sure it's plugged in and all prongs are clean and not corroded. Make sure sensor tip is clean as well
Bk720 that end up being my issue and thanks for the tip. Just a tiny bit of corrosion on the pins, but my sled had a dobeck box on 13 kit that would not idle without showing blue boost and a bunch of amber/yellow. Something to look at. Just a $20 chevy part from the dealer to replace.

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
Ok did some checking today and did find a issue with the exhaust donut. Guess the last time i had the pie off the donut was not in the right seat against the y pipe. MAKE SURE that anyone who takes off the donut that it aligns with the indent marks on the y pipe . The donuts have an indent to fit on these indents on the y pipe. Mine wasn't lined up so the pipe was about 3/8" out to where it should be. Its near -42 with a windchill so too cold too check it out.

porkbuddy3

Premium Member
Jan 25, 2009
One thing that you might check is that the TPS sensor aka throttle position sensor is in correct spec. We have 2 silber kits rrunning that are the kits before the bullydog set up and pretty much anytime we have bog issues every time the TPS gets out of spec. Talked to many people that say its a major polaris issue stock or turboed. So not sure if this is the answer but I know it has been for us and once ajusted or replaced the TPS they have been ripping ! Good luck

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
I will check the tps again but the last time I check it before the last trip the numbers were all within the spec that polaris has in there service manual. Doing the sweep it also look good.

snosfun

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
N of Great Falls, MT
Wasn't able to get any diagnosing done yesterday as I found 2 problems on the hill. 1- My primary spring broke. 2- The pipe temp sensor quit working and Bully Dog just shows it stuck on 32*. I was able to run it up to half throttle for the remainder of the day and get out of the mountains just fine. It would not run at all at full throttle, just threw det codes and coughed and sputtered. So once I get all that fixed we'll see how it runs.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
A buddy of mine has a 13 with silber and bully dog and his is doing the same thing. Sounds like a mapping issue to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jason leckner

Feb 27, 2008
livingston-helena mt
Mine is brand new. Started with 38 miles on it still doing it at 122 miles, I love this turbo but scared to do any aggressive hill climbs due to the BOG everyone's video is the same thing mine does.. Thanks for everyone's input also hopefully there will or is a solution,

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I will post a diagnostic / trouble shooting guide sometime this evening including how I set up all the ones I do. I have installed a bunch and have yet to see one running like the ones posted in the video.

We will figure out what's going on, rest assured there are tons of them out there running great.

I would caution about assuming one persons problem correlates to another. There may be multiple problems with similar symptoms and you could cause more harm than good.

Premium Features