• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11 Pro with new motor

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
I have read there have been issues with motors on the pro. Heading out to look at an 11 with a new motor, 600miles. Without starting too long of a discussion is there a few things I need to look at before purchasing? Certain serial numbers of motors etc?
Thanks!
P

D

dcooper

Mar 6, 2012
Jackson, WY
I don't think there are certain serial numbers creating issues, I think it's more of a piston skirt issue across the spectrum. A new motor with 600 miles should be fine. Just be sure you always warm your sled up to 120degF or so before going hard. Most of the issues I've heard/read about were around 2000 miles. I had a buddy lost the top end at 2400. Seems like that's about the sweet spot for these motors. If you're really worried there are a few companies that sell aftermarket pistons and piston/head combos and haven't heard of any issues after installing those.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Check compression, if both cylinders are within a few pounds of each other and at least 110 or better should be ok. I would highly recommend a piston fix kit of some type, several to choose from you need to make your own choice on that, I dropped a skirt last year right at 1600 miles, don't wait it sucks towing out from way up!

Premium Features