• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy 500

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Just bought a 96 Indy trail 500 for my wife. When I drove the sled from my garage to shop the sled felt almost jumpy and wasn't smooth at slower speed. Not sure if it went away at a higher speed since I had my ski dolly's on and didn't want to break them. Not sure if this is normal but my other sleds don't do this What would cause it to do this?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Sounds like the clutches need cleaned.

Double check the chaincase and the rear suspension where the track might be hanging on the drive lugs.

A start anyway.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Burned belt. At some point, someone got stuck or something, and run the engine enough to engage the clutch, but not turn the track. Burned a skinny spot in the belt. If you can feel it jumping at about 3-5 MPH, you should be able to see or feel the spot if you run the belt through your fingers and thumb. If indeed there is a burned spot, DO NOT run that belt. One like that can and will break cranks.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Burned belt. At some point, someone got stuck or something, and run the engine enough to engage the clutch, but not turn the track. Burned a skinny spot in the belt. If you can feel it jumping at about 3-5 MPH, you should be able to see or feel the spot if you run the belt through your fingers and thumb. If indeed there is a burned spot, DO NOT run that belt. One like that can and will break cranks.

x2..

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
you might just not be used to the way the older piston port twins run.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what your takin em both out across the gravel now or whatever? good luck man, i missed the part about it being a trail, thought you said indy 500. still piston port i believe but the 500 was more pronounced bog..bog..bog..RIIIIIIP! good sleds.

Premium Features