• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How hard to pull motor

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Blew the ole 600 up this morning. Jus wondering how hard it would be to pull and put it back in myself? This is the second motor in this thing so I don't wanna be overhauling again for awhile.

Also what's normal rpm for bout 1000ft? It seemed to be running a little high the last couple days.

At least it happened now and not right away next winter. Thanks for the advice

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Pull motor

Its not that bad. Get the factory shop manual before going any further is the best advice there is. Without the book, well, you are on your own! Normal shift speed is 8100.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Thanks. Hmm I was running that so not sure why it let go. Only 500 miles on that motor and it went already, it won't turn over. Feels like compression is down so any ideas on what happened?

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What happened last time and who fixed or rebuilt the motor? Not pointing fingers but for a motor to fail that fast makes me think the original problem was never fixed the first time.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
What happened last time and who fixed or rebuilt the motor? Not pointing fingers but for a motor to fail that fast makes me think the original problem was never fixed the first time.

A mechanic at a dealer. Cold scored pistons last time, buddy got on it to early on a cold day. Not to happy. Needless to say wont be going back to him.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Explain what happened when you say it blew up. You say it's locked up but compression is low? How would you know this if the motor is locked up? When did it happen as in how long were you riding before it locked up? Was there any sounds that the motor made before it locked up? Like maybe like someone dropped a bag full of nickles in yor cylinder.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Explain what happened when you say it blew up. You say it's locked up but compression is low? How would you know this if the motor is locked up? When did it happen as in how long were you riding before it locked up? Was there any sounds that the motor made before it locked up? Like maybe like someone dropped a bag full of nickles in yor cylinder.

Going down the ditch, jus died. Prolly only about 5 miles from where i started. warmed up and idled fine. Seemed to rev a little high but no temp guages came on. Pull rope and wont turn over but it feels like its down something. I dont know much about motors except its getting damn expensive.

Also no sound or anything jus like i hit the killswitch almost.

Last edited:

jlyle78

Premium Member
Feb 24, 2013
sw mn
sounds like maybe a crank bearing went out. Engine is not that difficult to remove, just remember to pay attention to where items are located and keep track of your bolts. Plus you have all summer.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Hopefully get compression checked sometime this week then start to tear it all apart.

I did find factory manual but have to print it off. 700 some pages, need to go get paper!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
How are you going to check compression if it's locked up?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
How are you going to check compression if it's locked up?

I was thinkin the same thing.

are you just pulling on the pull start handle or maybe try turnin the primary clutch, take spark plugs out and try to turn over maybe,

remove carbs and intake boots and reed valves look inside and see if you can see the piston like if they are grooved or badly scored see if you can wiggle them with your finger like if you can get you finger to the bottom of one of the piston skirts if possible. also could remove the pipe and Y pipe and look into the port that side would probably look worse since I beleive its the hottest part of the pistons.

If you really not sure on what your doin, take engine out and send it to Big John at Sledhead Racing. He will build it right!!!

Good Luck, Wildcard

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
I was told you can check compression even if it wont turn over. I can still pull on recoil, thats fine. Like i said engines are new to me so im jus trying to gain some info.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I was told you can check compression even if it wont turn over. I can still pull on recoil, thats fine. Like i said engines are new to me so im jus trying to gain some info.

Never head of a compression test with an engine that wont turn over or crank won`t turn!!!

So if the engine will turn over with the pull Cord, take the spark plugs out, screwin compression tester , remove tether cord or make sure kill switch is in off position. have some one hold throttle Wide Open and pull a good 5-6 times and check compression guage would be nice to have 125+ hopefully 150 range compression in both cylinderss. and there ya go If lower of have a good amount between the total of both cylinder its time to get into it again, but a fairly fresh redone top end or rebuild engine should have the 150+ in both cylinders.

Did this on my sled a couple weeks ago, I had no seizing or stopping of engine just running really rough at idle and couldn`t get engine to engage into Reverse after a descent climb took 5-6 good fast pulls to get it startedd but sled run pretty strong on trail and some climbs after compression test I had 95lbs in the Lefthand cylinder and 150 on the RH cylinder. so I am getting a Sledhead Racing dualring piston kit and haveing him doo some other work for me.

http://www.sledheadracing.net/#!

Wildcard

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I don't understand? Your recoil still pulls the engine over, but it is locked up? Does the clutch still turn? The spark plugs would not fail like you described. You have to be able to turn the motor over to do a compression test.

Last edited:

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
I don't understand? Your recoil still pulls the engine over, but it is locked up? Does the clutch still turn? The spark plugs would not fail like you described. You have to be able to turn the motor over to do a compression test.
I cannot get the motor to start, but i can pull the recoil out. It will try to start but will not fire up. Clutches still turn.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
There seems to be some confusion, so i am going to give a full run down on what has happened.

This past Saturday morning i went out to go ride the sled. Started fine, idled fine, clutching seemed high (but im told the numbers were normal). It was somewhat hardpacked and that sled doesnt have scratchers so i was taking it easy. About five miles down the trail the sled just quit, like hitting the killswitch at speed. I didn't hear any noise at all nothing, no engine temp light came on. First things first checked the belt, that was fine. I put some snow on the motor thinking it got warm opened up the panels and let it air out. When i went to refire the recoil came out much harder than usual, i kept pulling and no fire. I assumed their was engine damage (why i started this thread). Put it in the shop where it is at now.

I heard no noise when it died. Clutches still turn. Recoil comes out much harder than before. It will not fire up. i did not check spark plugs.

I dont think im forgetting anything, but who knows. Sled just had new pistons put in and motor redone 500 miles ago.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Ok then like any motorized mechanics, (other than a Diesel Lol) if the engine won`t start check the first 2 important things, sled, bike , auto. always check for Ignition Spark and Fuel.

take a spark plug out put it in the end of the wire hold the sparkplug wire and lay any metal part of the sparkplug against the head and have someone try to start it. check this on both plugs then if it doesn`t have spark you have a electrical issue, like coil, stator, mpem box etc.

If you have good spark then...

take the carbs loose if nescessary and get to a fuel line that goes to the carbs and take it off , have someone or you could pull on the cord a few or bunch of times and see if you have fuel pumpin out the hose. if not then you could have a fuel pump delivery to the carb problem or suction from the tank

start with these tests let us know and go from there. compression test numbers would be nice also if you don`t have a guage most autopart store can rent you one like Oreilly`s etc....

Good Luck, Wildcard

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Ok then like any motorized mechanics, (other than a Diesel Lol) if the engine won`t start check the first 2 important things, sled, bike , auto. always check for Ignition Spark and Fuel.

take a spark plug out put it in the end of the wire hold the sparkplug wire and lay any metal part of the sparkplug against the head and have someone try to start it. check this on both plugs then if it doesn`t have spark you have a electrical issue, like coil, stator, mpem box etc.

If you have good spark then...

take the carbs loose if nescessary and get to a fuel line that goes to the carbs and take it off , have someone or you could pull on the cord a few or bunch of times and see if you have fuel pumpin out the hose. if not then you could have a fuel pump delivery to the carb problem or suction from the tank

start with these tests let us know and go from there. compression test numbers would be nice also if you don`t have a guage most autopart store can rent you one like Oreilly`s etc....

Good Luck, Wildcard

Thank you!!!! Will do if the weather ever straightens out here in mn

Premium Features