• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Comparison -New MH 10" ski versus SH ski on a Snowhawk

whistlerhawk

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2008
Whistler BC
I had an opportunity to compare the new MH ski head to head with a modified snowhawk ski on a Snowhawk. We have 2x 159" 800cc Snowhawks - identical. We have been running a modified Snowhawk ski with the powder skirt and a thin leaf spring to stiffen the ski. We also have an adjustable lockout on the twin axis system. We ride in Whistler and we set up a great circuit of sidehills, downhill to uphill sh#thooks, uphill, sidehill and downhill launches, hill climbs etc. The MH ski weights 13lbs, while my modified Snowhawk ski weighs a portly 19 lbs. One Hawk had the Snowhawk ski and the other had the new MH ski. I had a mount from an old Simmons GenII ski that I used for the ski saddle to fit the Hawk. Snowconditions were spring powder about 2 feet deep on top of firm base snow. We would do 'dogfighting' laps of this circuit, then switch machines and repeat. We rode all day killing 55L each of fuel - great day!
The result - The new MH ski is clearly superior to the modified Snowhawk ski. Even the ride in on the road, the MH ski was similar to the Hawk ski but in the powder, the MH was way better. The MH ski held a way more agressive sidehill than the Hawk ski and was way better on intiating the downhill to uphill turns. There were many times while 'dogfighting' the Snowhawk ski just could not keep the line of the MH ski. There was also way less washing out of sidehill launches with the MH ski. The MH ski also felt like it had less resistance pushing forward than the hawk ski. Overall the MH ski was great for the Hawk in powder conditions. I would recommend the MH ski for the Hawks if you ride what I ride. I have communicated with Allen about the different ski spindle on the Hawk and he has ordered in special mounting brackets to fit the MH ski on the Snowhawk (Snowhawk spindle is narrower than the MH spindle). Our seaon is long in Whistler so I'll be riding into June so I may have further ride reports.
BTW - Between the Timbersled rear suspension and the MH ski on my Snowhawk, it has really woken up the tired bird.

Premium Features