• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha Corporate finally SPEAKS OUT on their future....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The following article is from our friends over at SnowGoer MAGAZINE.

header.jpg

http://www.snowgoer.com/snowmobile-...xecutives-lend-perspective/0222/#.USvQzldxX6p

2014 Yamaha Snowmobiles: 5 Quotes From Yamaha Executives Lend Perspective

By John Prusak
February 22, 2013

The unveiling of 2014 Yamaha snowmobiles that will be built by Arctic Cat in Minnesota utilizing many Arctic Cat components (including the base chassis) has caused quite a stir this week in the snowmobile community. Whether it’s on social media, snowmobile site message boards or during pitstop conversations on snowmobile trips, many people seem to have an opinion on what this all means.

Even more people, however, seem to have more questions than answers.
To help shed some light, for this week’s Friday Fast Five here on SnowGoer.com, we offer five quotes we heard at the Yamaha North American Dealer Meeting held Wednesday, January 20, in Minneapolis.
At the meeting, Yamaha had corporate executives and engineers from its U.S., Canadian and Japanese headquarters taking turns at the podium, trying to frame this information for the company’s most direct snowmobile customers: its dealers.

To those dealers, Yamaha officials talked about growing the staff at the North American testing and development center in Wisconsin, designing multiple new engines and chassis platforms and promising to grow Yamaha’s market share in the snowmobile business. But for now, we’ll get out of the way and let you read it exactly as it was stated to the dealers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUOTE #1

Senior Executive Officer & Director of Yamaha Motor Company Japan Mr. Masahiro Takizawa:

Right now, I want to state clearly that Yamaha Motor Corporation is absolutely committed to the long-term snowmobile business in North America and to you, our business partners. Beginning with the 2014 model year, we are embarking on a new strategy, one that is breaking out of our old norm, and one that will make us more competitive in the near term and will ensure a strong future in the industry.”

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUOTE #2

President of Yamaha North American Toshi Kato:

I’m very pleased to announce at this time that we are making a significant investment in the U.S. and Canada … We have also put in place new dedicated engineering and production resources for the North American snowmobile dealers by adding staff to our Minocqua [Wisconsin] facility. This will enable us to be closer to our two largest [snowmobile] markets and respond more rapidly to market demand and to continue to produce products beyond our customers’ expectations. Our new focus is on the largest and most profitable segments of the market. This is just the beginning of how we are doing that. Our North American team will continue to design and deliver new products for all segments of the market as we look forward to our 50th Anniversary that will take place in 2018.”

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUOTE #3

Vice President of Yamaha Motor Canada & North American Snowmobile Leader Peter Smallman-Tew:

Today’s a very major turning point for Yamaha snowmobiles. In five short years we will be celebrating our 50<sup>th</sup> anniversary in snowmobiling. During that time, we’ve been innovators, we’ve been leaders, and lately things have been challenging, and we know that. … The North American snowmobile team has a very serious message, and we have a very serious mission. That mission is to reassure Yamaha as a force to be reckoned with in the snowmobile industry and let me tell you we will fight with everything we have to take back our fair share of the market. So how are we going to do that? We’re going to start with a long-term plan and a short-term plan. It all comes from what Mr. Kato said, Mr. Kato created the North American team and this team has a commitment, a commitment to engineering, a commitment to product development through our Minocqua plant, our mission in Minocqua is to develop a new snowmobile each year for the next five years. Partnering with YMC Japan, development is already underway on state-of-the-art four-stroke high-technology snowmobile engines, which will take us into a completely new dimension of performance, and new sled platforms. And did I mention that was engines, plural?

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUOTE #4

Peter Smallman Tew:

We’ve entered into a supply agreement with Arctic Cat, combining the best parts of each other’s DNA. We build the best four-stroke engines in the snowmobile industry bar none, they build arguably some of the best lightweight chassis in the market. Put the two things together and you have one heck of a snowmobile. Let me be very clear here. This is not a merger. They’re two totally separate companies; this is a mutually beneficial supply agreement. Two separate companies. Two independent product development teams, sales and marketing, dealer organizations – completely separate. Next, any product that bears the name Yamaha meets Yamaha’s quality, dependability, reliability [QDR]. Let’s just say that right up front. No matter where it’s built, what product, anywhere in the world, it must meet our QDR and that is the most essential part of Yamaha’s DNA.”

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUOTE #5

Peter Smallman-Tew:

We’re fully aware and we deeply respect the challenges that our western, mountain and utility markets are facing, but let me tell you this: our North American team puts us in a much stronger position to develop products for all market segments going further, and like I said earlier, we will be developing snowmobiles and engines in the next five years, each year … We are committed to be a leader in innovation, performance, quality and customer appeal. What you’re about to see is only a small portion of Yamaha’s long-term vision.”

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As I have tried hard to say over the last week.
Don't be too hasty in ruling Yamaha out of the game.

If and when Yamaha Motor Corporation finally sets their sites on the Snowmobile market, there is absolutely nothing that Polaris or Cat could do to stop them. They ARE the 800lb gorilla.

Only BRP is of similar corporate size and engineering magnitude.

Yamaha is about to make a comeback.
Its going to take them a few years to roll it out, but there are some cool goodies in the pipeline. :face-icon-small-hap

SledStats.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now.
From a PURELY business standpoint.
If you were Yamaha, Which kind of sleds would you be developing FIRST???

TRAIL Sleds or MOUNTAIN Sleds??

<table border="1" cellpadding="6" width="530"><tbody><tr><td class="cellheader" colspan="2">2012 United States Snowmobile Registrations </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="cellstyle">State </td> <td class="cellstyle"># Registered Snowmobiles </td> </tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Alaska </td><td class="cellstyle">61,000</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> California </td><td class="cellstyle">20,145</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Colorado </td><td class="cellstyle">30,655</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Idaho </td><td class="cellstyle">50,200</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Illinois </td><td class="cellstyle">33,743</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Indiana </td><td class="cellstyle">9,694</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Iowa </td><td class="cellstyle">24,848</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Maine </td><td class="cellstyle">62,000</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Massachusetts </td><td class="cellstyle">13,565</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Michigan </td><td class="cellstyle">216,144</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Minnesota </td><td class="cellstyle">253,855</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Montana </td><td class="cellstyle">46,606</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Nebraska </td><td class="cellstyle">2,200</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> New Hampshire </td><td class="cellstyle">53,000</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> New York </td><td class="cellstyle">89,718</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> North Dakota </td><td class="cellstyle">15,690</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Ohio </td><td class="cellstyle">14,000</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Oregon </td><td class="cellstyle">14,772</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Pennsylvania </td><td class="cellstyle">37,741</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> South Dakota </td><td class="cellstyle">15,544</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Utah </td><td class="cellstyle">26,167</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Vermont </td><td class="cellstyle">25,455</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Washington </td><td class="cellstyle">31,000</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Wisconsin </td><td class="cellstyle">220,644</td></tr> <tr><td class="cellstyle"> Wyoming </td><td class="cellstyle">33,000</td></tr> <tr> <td class="cellstyle">Total </td> <td class="cellstyle">1,401,376</td></tr></tbody></table>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Take a quick look at the reality of Snowmobile sales worldwide...

Do you see a TREND??
Our sport has contracted by a staggering -74% from its heyday!
And by -37% in just the last decade.

Makes it MIGHTY HARD for a company to invest big bucks in product development in a massively shrinking marketplace.

<table border="1" cellpadding="6" width="530"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="cellheader">Worldwide Snowmobile Sales : Estimated Retail Sales (units) </td></tr> <tr> <td class="cellheader" width="175">Year </td> <td class="cellheader" width="175">Units </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="cellstyle">2012 </td> <td class="cellstyle">129,087 </td></tr></tbody></table>

Estimated Sales from 2008 to 1992
2008 163,753
2006 164,860
2005 173,733
2004 181,336
2003 186,627
2002 203,152
2001 208,592
2000 208,297
1999 230,887
1998 257,936
1997 260,735
1996 252,324
1995 227,433
1994 181,000
1993 158,000
1992 150,000

Estimated Sales from 1978 to 1968
1978 226,000
1977 195,000
1976 243,000
1975 316,000
1974 435,000
1973 450,000
1972 460,000
1971 495,000
1970 425,000
1969 255,000
1968 85,000

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
That is certainly an interesting breakdown in terms of the numbers. As far as yamaha getting back into the mountain riding game I think that is super exciting and I hope for great things to advance our sport in terms of reliability and power for all 4 makers.

There are a couple of things about the numbers however, that I do not agree with. First off, a majority of the states you figured are "trail burners" actually have quite a few mountain sleds. You highlighted states such as ND, SD, and MN but I know for a fact that a majority of SD and ND are mountain sleds(Minnesota is probably more short tracks than long, but not by too much I bet). Mountain sleds are getting much more popular even in places that riding trails is the norm. I wish there were statistics for how many sleds were out there with 144+ tracks(which still wouldn't cover all the sleds which were long tracked).

As for our sport contracting 75% it is true, it has shrank a bunch, but only because of what type of riding is popular these days. Back in the 90s it was popular to go out and hit the trails. Now its all about mountain riding, deep snow and big hills. Not nearly as many people want to go out for a trail ride any more. Quite frankly this contraction is a good thing because there is hardly enough mountains/snow for everyone as it is. Look at Colorado this year(Rabbit Ears) and other popular designations. Most places are booked full EVERY WEEKEND that there is snow, and after the weekend everything is pounded flat.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
I think with the commitment that Yamaha has publicly stated we are in for a treat. I am 99% sure the new engines plural.. will be the ones from the moto gp class. This is the first tim,e Yami has come and said their NORM was not good enough. At the Yamafest for sssoooo many years we keep telling Yamaha what we would like and.....:face-icon-small-dis Yami riders are used to taking a short track and streching it out. For crying out loud any sled with a 174" has done exactly the same. How many ride a COMPLETLY stock sled?? NOTHING done to it.?? If anyhone is in a rush to have the Yamaha/cat combo the offer a 141 I think?? not hard to go to a 162. Or one could wait unjtil the 15's come out and see maybe a turbo, supercharger or big block 1100. Riding yami's since 87(before a cat guy) I like the reliability that comes with them , the tecnology being behind not so much but I do think brighter days are just around the cornice or corn:cheer2:er...02

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just remember, you said it, we didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Financially Speaking you turkey!

Yamaha is a fully transnational 16 BILLION+ dollar corporation.

Just by comparison, Polaris sold about 3.1 BILLION in gross sales for 2012.

That puts Yamaha something on the order of 5 times larger!

gorilla_lp.jpg

BRP is listed at 2 Billion

Arctic Cat comes in at about 670 Million.

Last edited:
Premium Features