• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What skis would you buy for your REV?

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Looking at getting some new skis for next year and i have no idea what to get......So who better to ask then the guys on snowest. Let me know what aftermarket skis you've purshased for your REV in the past and how you liked them (im a mountain rider by the way, have an 07 800R 144")

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Looking at getting some new skis for next year and i have no idea what to get......So who better to ask then the guys on snowest. Let me know what aftermarket skis you've purshased for your REV in the past and how you liked them (im a mountain rider by the way, have an 07 800R 144")

Modsskis.com

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Just to add to the fun I'm trying the Simmons GEN III's this winter on my 146 (That's right a 05 REV with a 146 under it).

I've noticed that when it comes to ski's on the REV personal preference and Sled Set-up has a lot to do with what guys are running. Lots of people happy with lots of different set-ups.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Fine! Since no one can agree on this issue........I'm gonna just take mine off completely. Mountain sleds don't need no stinkin skis........think of the weight I just took off the front end.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Fine! Since no one can agree on this issue........I'm gonna just take mine off completely. Mountain sled don't need no stinkin skis........think of the weight I just took off the front end.

Good point

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Think im gonna go with the C&A pros Mountain ski setup.......does anyone know if or when they will come in any other color than BLACK! (website says they only come in black but other colors will be out soon)..........i really want the white color with black loops!

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Mil....I was also thinking about that too...dont see why they wouldnt be an equally as great ski on the REV as on the XP.
Just wish they came in white too!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

The problem with your question is riders go out and buy an aftermarket ski then come on here and post that they are the best and justify their 400 buck purchase,Just allot of BS,Only those who have run most" all" the skis in particular conditions are credible and have right to suggest a brand

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
I've ran the stocks, and the powder pros. I like the powder pros in powder, (haven't done the carls cut yet). All other conditions I prefer my stock skis, and fight w/the power pros...but on the days that count. I'm happy w/my purchase.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Simmons are also a great powder ski, float like no other and absorb bumps better than anything else out there. They are heavy, suck in sticky wet spring snow, and feel like arm extensions waving in the air when the front end is up.....Great choice for the majority of riders. Weight was too great of a disadvantage for me to keep them.

Pilot 6.9's are a great ski if you like them on a XP. They work just that much better on a ZX or Rev platform. Absorb impacts, cheap to replace, I did not have one complaint on them(Had them on all my demo's from '06 - '10)

Pilot DS - another good ski from BRP. Cheap too! Prob the change I liked most(as well as seat) going from the '09 to '11. Little quicker response in all conditions, easier for the girlie riders to lay over and cut into a hill. ;) Haven't tried on a Rev but considering the attributes of the ski change on the XP, I would expect similar results for the Rev.

Mods - Been a great ski since I had them on my '97 Summit. They were too wide for me then(teenager) and too old(styling is the same as it was 15 years ago), heavy(not really but heavy in comparison), no longer made in my backyard. So no love from me, but others rave about how much they love 'em.

Slydogs and C&A's. I didn't get the super aggressive Mtn ski from either, as they are simply too much ski to move around. I don't like em, nobody I sold em to likes em, we just don't like the wide a$$ XT's and MTX's.
I have run a set of each in the normal "trail or sport" version,(C&A calls it their ADX version) I find with these less aggressive skis, trail characteristics are less harsh and more forgiving.
The Carl's Mod is the only way I would recommend either. The back of the ski bites super hard in firm snow when trying to counter-steer. To the point the bars will rip outta your hands. Condition is worse with the 7-8" Slydogs and C&A's.
The reason I grouped these two brands together is that they use the same handles, the same wearbars(carbides) and they were exact dimensions when compared together. ***Disclaimer - Only done with the Sport version of the skis, other versions may differ)***
With that being said, I run the C&A ADX skis on my sled. The outboard keels on the RZ, Outlaw, XT and MTX are way way too aggressive for me, so they get mega thumbs down from me.
The ADX's are positive on the trail without dicing and slicing the entire time, they float half decent(nothing like a Pilot or a Simmons) but my Rev is pretty nose light so floatation isn't my biggest issue.
They bite into the side of a hill great, hold the line for as long as I want, and take some wicked abuse I've put them through. But like mentioned, without the keel end of the ski being shortened via some mod(Carls is the most recognizable, NapaMatt on here ended up with a winning combo I believe, much more aggressive than Carls) the ski is a handful when counter-steering. So this mod is almost necessary.

Powder Pro's are a GREAT powder ski. Carl's Mod and they respond very well. However not my choice...
SLT's don't dart, float well, best ski for the majority of people barnone! THE ski to buy for the REV. Bolt on performance at it's finest. No mods, no bad attributes, nothing to concern yourself with, they just flat out work.

Last edited:
S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
Ran the Original C&A Pro on my Polaris Edge 800 and loved them.

Have Powder Pros on my Rev 800 and like them too. Other than not being a big fan of the Simmons (or any dual runner ski for that matter), haven't ever felt that the skis made too big of a difference....

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Simmons are also a great powder ski, float like no other and absorb bumps better than anything else out there. They are heavy, suck in sticky wet spring snow, and feel like arm extensions waving in the air when the front end is up.....Great choice for the majority of riders. Weight was too great of a disadvantage for me to keep them.

Pilot 6.9's are a great ski if you like them on a XP. They work just that much better on a ZX or Rev platform. Absorb impacts, cheap to replace, I did not have one complaint on them(Had them on all my demo's from '06 - '10)

Pilot DS - another good ski from BRP. Cheap too! Prob the change I liked most(as well as seat) going from the '09 to '11. Little quicker response in all conditions, easier for the girlie riders to lay over and cut into a hill. ;) Haven't tried on a Rev but considering the attributes of the ski change on the XP, I would expect similar results for the Rev.

Mods - Been a great ski since I had them on my '97 Summit. They were too wide for me then(teenager) and too old(styling is the same as it was 15 years ago), heavy(not really but heavy in comparison), no longer made in my backyard. So no love from me, but others rave about how much they love 'em.

Slydogs and C&A's. I didn't get the super aggressive Mtn ski from either, as they are simply too much ski to move around. I don't like em, nobody I sold em to likes em, we just don't like the wide a$$ XT's and MTX's.
I have run a set of each in the normal "trail or sport" version,(C&A calls it their ADX version) I find with these less aggressive skis, trail characteristics are less harsh and more forgiving.
The Carl's Mod is the only way I would recommend either. The back of the ski bites super hard in firm snow when trying to counter-steer. To the point the bars will rip outta your hands. Condition is worse with the 7-8" Slydogs and C&A's.
The reason I grouped these two brands together is that they use the same handles, the same wearbars(carbides) and they were exact dimensions when compared together. ***Disclaimer - Only done with the Sport version of the skis, other versions may differ)***
With that being said, I run the C&A ADX skis on my sled. The outboard keels on the RZ, Outlaw, XT and MTX are way way too aggressive for me, so they get mega thumbs down from me.
The ADX's are positive on the trail without dicing and slicing the entire time, they float half decent(nothing like a Pilot or a Simmons) but my Rev is pretty nose light so floatation isn't my biggest issue.
They bite into the side of a hill great, hold the line for as long as I want, and take some wicked abuse I've put them through. But like mentioned, without the keel end of the ski being shortened via some mod(Carls is the most recognizable, NapaMatt on here ended up with a winning combo I believe, much more aggressive than Carls) the ski is a handful when counter-steering. So this mod is almost necessary.

Powder Pro's are a GREAT powder ski. Carl's Mod and they respond very well. However not my choice...
SLT's don't dart, float well, best ski for the majority of people barnone! THE ski to buy for the REV. Bolt on performance at it's finest. No mods, no bad attributes, nothing to concern yourself with, they just flat out work.
Guys there is a disconnect about the Mods. There are mods skis I see in some catalogs.Complete different company from{ Modsski.com} which were designed a few years back [2004]when the Rev was introduced and built around a forward riding position ski doo has. These look awesome and state of the art ski.they were not even in the Oven in 1997

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Guys there is a disconnect about the Mods. There are mods skis I see in some catalogs.Complete different company from{ Modsski.com} which were designed a few years back [2004]when the Rev was introduced and built around a forward riding position ski doo has. These look awesome and state of the art ski.they were not even in the Oven in 1997

Please help me understand. Mods was a BC based company at one point. A US company bought rights and brought them back? I'm not claiming anything, only a question.

Metal tops with plastic bottoms. The one's I saw had identical plastic bottoms to the Ekholm II's of yesteryear. Can't tell you which version I saw but the guy had em on an XP.

I swear these are the skis I saw on his XP. And they look amazingly similar to the ones I had on my '97. Amazingly similar. So does the logo that they still use. The turndown looks to be more aggressive than before, and vs. the Ekholm II's. But who am I to say? Reading the "About Us" re-affirms that this is infact the same ski I've seen since the late 90's. Or at least the latest variation of it.

http://www.modsskis.com/images/picturepage.htm

http://www.modsskis.com/aboutmods.htm

Last edited:
Premium Features