• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo 4stroke or 2?

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
I currently have a impulse apex. It's an absolute beast for the steep and deep. Playing around with the idea of a race gas turbo 2 stroke. The apex has been so reliable but heavy for the western Sierra snow we ride. Who here has had both turbo 4 stroke and 2 stroke? Is the power difference huge? Reliability? Am I crazy for thinking of a switch? Just looking for opinions from those that have had both. Thanks

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I have been riding a BD Apex now getting converted to Impulse and a 174 M1000 turbo. I really like the M1000 a lot and honestly when I was running 11-13 lbs of boost it was the most reliable sled I have ever owned including an Impulse Nytro and the BD Apex. The only issue is if you have a really deep day you will always want the Apex but on 80% of the rest of the yr the M1000 will get it done and only loose to an Impulse Apex. With used M1000 turbos being so cheap now why not try both? My M1000 will hang with the nytros to 18lbs and with the Apexes to 15ish and at the end of the day I am about half as tired but if it is really deep or I go to a spot with the big hills the Apex M10 combo is totally unbeatable

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
Has your m1000 been touchy to keep spot on? I only touched the programmer once last year on the apex. I see you run a twisted set up. How often do you see the need to change reeds and pistons? Thanks for your input much appreciated.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I dont own both but have a fair bit of time on both. If all you want to do is climb the crazy chutes and blast the big hills then the 4 stroke is the bomb. If you want to turn once in a while and have a little energy left at the end of the day then lighter is better. You will have to sacrifice something to gain the other. With the fuel systems on the 2 strokers nowadays you can have a pull and go unit. A 2 stroke will require a little more maintenance for sure, but your body will need less. My opinion.... electronic reverse, light weight, similar power and cheaper parts, why is it so hard to choose?

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
Im a bigger guy so if I go this route sounds like the m1000 would be the best option. I have dont quite a bit of reasearcha nd it looks like guys are pretty happy with Twisted and the OVS Tial kit. I know with the apex a camo extreme and avids were a must. Same with the M1000? Also it seems like I would want to stay away from the 08-09 chassis due to diamond drive problems? Any more info would be appreciated. How are these babies on fuel mileage?

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
I have owned an impulse nytro(2 years ago).....i currently have an m1000 (cpc)2009,hm turbo(aerocharger 66) dragon 2009 and a t-iqr 700 cfi and i can tell you i will never look back at 4 strokes sled.....simply to heavy. i have put 1800 miles on the dragon aerocharged and it has been a reel pull and go sled for me, very nimble, responsive and LIGHT as hell !!! i'm boondocking 30%, lakes 30%, and climbing 40%. the m1000 has impressive power (14 lbs) but my dragon feel so light (at 12lbs) and the aerocharger is soooo responsive. of course a little more maintenance( reeds,boot) but for me way more sledding since i was stuck boondocking with the nytro half a day every week end!!!i'm a big guy too at 225lbs iand i feel 135 lbs on my dragon compare to 600 lbs on my nytro!

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Haven't played with the fuel box much. I changed the reeds and pistons after 2 seasons. Drivers are not a must. I liked the Powerclaw but I went 174 so the CE was the only choice. I like my M1000 a lot but I think if I were to only have one sled it would be an apex at this point

Premium Features