• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 summit 800r issues??

F
Mar 21, 2008
DES MOINES, IOWA
i have an 07 summit 800r 151" love the sled... low miles maybe 400. I have heard these engines are ticking time bombs... The clutching is right now from the factory pulls 8500rpm... The Y pipe bolts have come out of course... What do i need to do to make this sled run? I don't want to be stuck out in the backcountry with this sled!! Is there an update kit for the motor?? If so how much?ETC

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
I bought an o7 in febuary last year as a hold over. put over 600 miles on it and no probs yet. but a buddys went down at like 1900 miles and they put the 09 motor in it. mine is still on warranty so im just hopeing that its not in a hole some were when it does.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Crankcase/bearing clearance....can be corrected, talk with John at Sled Head Racing.
On the primary clutch replece the spring cap assy. with a newer ('09+) part...same part number just has upgraded bushing material. I would also replace the rollers and make sure everything else in the primary is in tolerance.
Secondary clutch has a small bushing prone to wear....TEAM clutch is a nice improvement for consistancy/durability.
Great sled when everything is right.....I miss my '07!

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
i have an 07 summit 800r 151" love the sled... low miles maybe 400. I have heard these engines are ticking time bombs... The clutching is right now from the factory pulls 8500rpm... The Y pipe bolts have come out of course... What do i need to do to make this sled run? I don't want to be stuck out in the backcountry with this sled!! Is there an update kit for the motor?? If so how much?ETC

The 151 came with the good track.. no need to swap it.. it works fine..

I have the same sled and it is a joy to ride..

I would NOT fix the primary clutch.. it will still have issues even after changing out parts.. Get a TRA III and throw the TRA 7 away.. Done TONS of comparisons between the 2 clutches.. there are more issues than mentioned with the TRA 7.. lose the head ache.. you will be much happier...

We also dedveloped an awesome TEAM tied set up for the 07 800R.. It was amazing the difference over the HPV27.. Very surprising.. but the HPV can be made to work well also.. But the primary can not. IMO..

Great sled.. Congratulations.. you will love it!!

Kelsey

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
More to clutching than just RPM....and 8500 is a bit high, load it to 83-8400max. Ditto on the wear/mileage relationship, you will likely have issues soon. It will be cheaper in the long run to do some preventive changes.
We have had no issues with the TRA7 once it has the "good" parts. Have had issues with broken splines on the III.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
More to clutching than just RPM....and 8500 is a bit high, load it to 83-8400max. Ditto on the wear/mileage relationship, you will likely have issues soon. It will be cheaper in the long run to do some preventive changes.
We have had no issues with the TRA7 once it has the "good" parts. Have had issues with broken splines on the III.

I agree the TRA7 can work decent once it has the good parts, but even then it seems like roller/bushing replacements 1000-1500 miles later but I think so much of that on the '07'/'08s is to blame on the out of round cranks that basically every one of them has. How can we expect decent clutch life when 90% of the cranks are out of spec. The '09s were such a better motor when it comes to tolerances and specs on the bottom end, you could probably put '07 or '08 clutch parts in the '09 clutch and get good life too.

I have seen good clutch component life on bottom ends that BJ or someone else line-bored and trued the crank. I think anyone with an '07 or '08 motor should consider doing it if the motor has over 2k miles and they are considering a rebuild.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
i

I would NOT fix the primary clutch.. it will still have issues even after changing out parts.. Get a TRA III and throw the TRA 7 away.. Done TONS of comparisons between the 2 clutches.. there are more issues than mentioned with the TRA 7.. lose the head ache.. you will be much happier...

Kelsey[/QUOTE]

your gona have to find someone who doesnt want their tra3. skidoo does not sell them anymore.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The 151 came with the good track.. no need to swap it.. it works fine..

I have the same sled and it is a joy to ride..

We also dedveloped an awesome TEAM tied set up for the 07 800R.. It was amazing the difference over the HPV27.. Very surprising.. but the HPV can be made to work well also.. But the primary can not. IMO..

Kelsey

We found that the 300-500 mile mark is where the primary starts to wear and fail.. So, I still think that you will have clutching issues very soon..

Damn.. I almost fell out of my seat. One of the reasons guys have to gear them down to try and ease this clutch into mediocre life expectancy.

The TRA 7 is garbage unless you don't mind replacing rollers and bushings every 300-400 miles. Good call...throw it in the scrap bin.

Like Winterbrew said, buy an 06 Wide bushing cover for the secondary or better yet, go with Kelseys Team Tied set-up. This is very intriguing.

I would disagree on the track if it's the XRS or X track. The Adreneline track is good.

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
Swap the track. The challenger extreme will make a world of difference on that sled. Do not be afraid of the 07's. When set-up right they are a great sled. Go through your clutches, get the Rooster Built clutch kit and the camo extreme and you will be in for a great ride. I would wait until the engine fails to do anything. If it does fail get a shortblock from Skidoo and be on your way.

Premium Features