• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

slp or rk tec?

S
Jul 28, 2008
Logan utah
what one to go with? i was talkin to a guy today and he said every rk tec head he put on he couldnt get to run and he said to go with the slp thats what he had on his 07 rev and im looking to do some stuff to mine and i hear that rk tec is the way to go so whats your guys input on them?

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
I have heard good things about rk tech, but I would go slp. I have there performance addition kit on my 07 800 and it rips. I am 250 run with or beat most of the good working xp sleds that I ride with that have riders that are 70 to a 120 pounds lighter than me. Just to note though I do run a 162 whereas most of the others run 154s so I know in the deep that comes into play as well, but when mine was a 151 I could usually run pretty good against the xps as well.

K
Dec 23, 2009
800r head slp or RK tek

I put a 13.6:1 Rk tek head on my 07 800r. i did notice a vast improvement in power. Kelse told me to rejet to 440, 450 to be safe. i think it is to lean for where i ride 5- 8000ft. i am having problems with the sled wanting to keep runing after i hit the kill switch and even pulling the taether, its the only mod i did to the motor i think its making a hot spot in the head... i cant get ahold of him to confirm. my spark plugs look way too lean as well. to kill the sled i hit the switch and then the gas to flood the motor... but as far as witch head i hear Slp dosent even make a lower alt head any more, do to lack of intrest... good luck

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I put a 13.6:1 Rk tek head on my 07 800r. i did notice a vast improvement in power. Kelse told me to rejet to 440, 450 to be safe. i think it is to lean for where i ride 5- 8000ft. i am having problems with the sled wanting to keep runing after i hit the kill switch and even pulling the taether, its the only mod i did to the motor i think its making a hot spot in the head... i cant get ahold of him to confirm. my spark plugs look way too lean as well. to kill the sled i hit the switch and then the gas to flood the motor... but as far as witch head i hear Slp dosent even make a lower alt head any more, do to lack of intrest... good luck
So in the mean-time JET UP,as far as his head goes I had no problems 0n my 04-800 with Dyno-Port pipe/can and V-forceIII reeds.It would thump any other stock REVs and then some. I now run R.K.T.s Drop in kit:D even better.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
RKT makes one of the best heads out there for a doo. Tell Kelesy your application and run what he tells you. These heads make it able to run leaner and won't run right unless you do so. BJ uses them on his big bores if that tells you anything.

go RKT, use the snow skinz can as recomended. At 1st I tried with my MBRP can & couldn't dial it in. I put on a AFR gauge to dial it in. I just did the drop in & it works great, well worth the $. I had a couple questions & had the answers in one phone call.

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
go RKT, use the snow skinz can as recomended. At 1st I tried with my MBRP can & couldn't dial it in. I put on a AFR gauge to dial it in. I just did the drop in & it works great, well worth the $. I had a couple questions & had the answers in one phone call.

couldn't dial it in? what exactly were your problems? i've got a dynoport can on mine and am a few hundred rpm short on clicker 6 with a 160/380 primary spring and 15g of weight. jetting is good. no loot for a new can so i'm just rollin it as is, but it does haul a-- though. 5000-8000ft

S
Jul 28, 2008
Logan utah
does a can make that big of a difference? and i was leaning towards the piston kit and the head for mine i ride in 6,000 to 10,000 elevation and im about 20 min away from R.K.T. so i think i could get it runnin good where he rides about the same places i do

Last edited:
Z
Oct 9, 2003
I would go RKTech for sure. Have run a few of his heads on different engines and have been impressed. Now have the 830 rips.

A
Jan 26, 2010
McCall ID
I would stay away from rk tech....Im not sure how they work out on 07's but both my friends have had numerous problems with them. SLP is always the safer bet and that proably what would do better on an 07 motor.

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
not sure if this link works, you may have to copy and put it in the address bar, but it is an interesting read. i have had both slp and rktek. both FEEL quite a bit better than stock, both have their issues. i'm happy with my rk set up but maybe money is better spent on other upgrades. new skiis? new rear susp? never had one, read good things though. i noticed a huge diff with a new track (over 1/2" longer paddles). who knows, i guess thats up for you to decide.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Ive used both the ALP and RKT stuff. RKT definitely more bang for your Buck. If you do go RKT, I have a used skinz can I'll sell. If you live 20 from RKT, it's really a no brainer

couldn't dial it in? what exactly were your problems? i've got a dynoport can on mine and am a few hundred rpm short on clicker 6 with a 160/380 primary spring and 15g of weight. jetting is good. no loot for a new can so i'm just rollin it as is, but it does haul a-- though. 5000-8000ft

I didn't mentioned I also put on dynamo joe's recomended clutch kit for the set up, can't remember the weights or springs off top of my head but I have them writtn down.

with MBRP can the egt's too high 1300. afr at 15. couldn't get rpm's past 8000. I played with jetting, no luck.

talked to kelsey, put on skinz can as recommended & all problems gone. 380 mains, clip in middle, 8300 rpm, 12.8 - 13 afr. this at 7-8000'. 14:1 domes.

my fuel economy increased from 80km/ tank to as high as 120km. I have never had to dump in my spare fuel jug since I put the RKT kit in.

Premium Features