• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent A-ARM, and a little more

i have straitened mine a few times as long as everything works properly and isn't weakened to much run it. sounds like your just going to bend it again anyway. at least thats what i do. until i totaled mine and just bought a new one.

Don't shoot the messenger BUT...once you tweak the nun it'll never be right unless you replace it, your a-arms & shock alignments will never be uniform like they're supposed to be & as posted above even if you can get it straight enough to ride expect it to go easier the next little mishap. If and when you doo go to fix it I'd look on ebay for a good used nun as they can be had fairly cheap.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Don't shoot the messenger BUT...once you tweak the nun it'll never be right unless you replace it, your a-arms & shock alignments will never be uniform like they're supposed to be & as posted above even if you can get it straight enough to ride expect it to go easier the next little mishap. If and when you doo go to fix it I'd look on ebay for a good used nun as they can be had fairly cheap.

I would replace the nun on mine if it wasn't welded on. I need to replace the entire cross member on a 07 which isn't something I want to do mid dec. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky get her "straight enough" ride out this season and do a after market tunnel in the summer. That would be ideal.

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
Don't let a little weld stand in yer way there, thin cut wheel on angle grinder works on welds. Your nun is bent as well but if you come along it to your jeep hey it's probably straight again so you should be good all season now lol. I wouldn't bolt new a-arms to a bent nun tho JMHO

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
it shouldnt be welded on, post some pics of the damage so we can tell more what yer talkin about

Evan

Don't let a little weld stand in yer way there, thin cut wheel on angle grinder works on welds. Your nun is bent as well but if you come along it to your jeep hey it's probably straight again so you should be good all season now lol. I wouldn't bolt new a-arms to a bent nun tho JMHO

Thanks for the responses, I do have some pics but I don't have my camera with me...but the nun it's self doesn't appear to be bent, the tabs that rivet onto the nuns though "were" bent but I straightened them out. The nun on the 07 unlike the 08+ models is tig welded on vs rivited, and then bolted on.

Unfortunately I didn't buy the aluminum gun attachment for my millermatic or I would have no issues grinding off it and re-welding. Even if I did they don't just sell the nun for this year. It seems my only option is to replace the entire crossmember. (see 1-6) on the diagram above. Which I could do but is it alot of work.

Everything "appears" pretty straight now. I've got it about halfway apart. I'm going to replace the bushing ect and try to pop in the new Holz arms and see how that goes. If anything I believe the Chrome Moly arms will bend the aluminum back in place if it is off not the other way around. There really was no way for me to safely use the stock a-arm it wasn't just bent it was really kinked and compromised it was pushed back at least 3", and after I heated it up to straighten it, it had collapsed and folded in multiple places, although it put the brackets back in place, there was no way for me to safetly use it. I'll post a picture of it later.

The one thing I am stuck on though is getting the kingpin out. I pulled the snap ring but it doesn't want to come out of the old a-arm.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Alright here we go w/some photos

Taking apart the front end, view of rebent a-arm
large.jpg

close up of "straightened" a-arm
120544611.jpg

nun view 1
120544612.jpg

One ski ..normal wear ha..
120544613.jpg

Other ski, after attempting to fix the carbide.. ski is trashed ripped out carbide mount ect..

120544615.jpg

Just a shot of the buick and the sled side by side.
120544614.jpg

A couple shots from underneath
120544616.jpg

120544617.jpg

Premium Features