• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can Pin weight alone cause this?

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Can pin weight alone cause the following problem?

we rode today in roughly 6-7' of baseless, heavy snow. I ride a light chassis, stock motor 04 Rev 162. I am running 15.4 grams pin weight.

I started the day on clicker 3 and the sled would not hit 8k under load. It was bouncing around between 7500-7700. I clicked up to 5 with NO CHANGE??

Question: Can to heavy pin weight alone cause this?
Question: If not, what are likely mechanical reasons for this?

Please help, heading to Sicamous on the 15th and can't be fighting this..

Thanks for any / all replys :beer;:beer;

D
Oct 13, 2008
Is this a new set up or have you been running it. Sounds like it is heavy for a stock 04. Take clutch apart and inspect it for wear and or broken parts. Don't forget to check the spring.

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
before todays ride I replaces roller w/washers, buttons w/o rings, cleaned and sanded the sheaves, blew out and cleaned inside of primary and installed a new bushing cup. Spring is brand new also.

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
yes, changed weight, seems like new weights heavier. No black marks on primary...?

Im geared pretty low, 19 45 with 8 tooth drivers. Just swapped a 43 for the 45 tooth also..... I know, should have done one thing at a time right.. :(

D
Oct 13, 2008
Yea, that was a lot of changes at once. Still sounds like it is too heavy, but the whole thing with not gaining rpm's with clicker adjustments doesn't sound right. I only run 14.8 grams in my wifes 07 with a slp head, y-pipe, can, v-force 3 reeds, 19/46 gearing, 7 tooth drivers and a 162 x 2.5.

revrider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2003
Randle
I tried running extra pin weight once and ended up taking them back out because I wouldnt hold rpms on clicker 3 where I like to run mine.I agree with Dootimes2 about rpms not changing with the clickers doesnt sound right. That make me think it could be your secondary.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
If the clicker has little effect (cant always see it on the stock tach)...then pin weight is too heavy...the spring you installed in stiffer than stock (hold rpm better/backshift)...so drop the 2 inserts out and retest...(assuming the DPM/jetting is working)-BJ

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
OK, I pulled the inserts so the pin weight is now 13.8 grams (down from 15.4) SAME FRIGGEN THING?? Wah Wahs with max rpm's hitting 7700-7800 under FULL THROTTLE..... on the TRAIL and OFF TRAIL UNDER LOAD?

Seems to pull closer to 8000 rpm WITHOUT the Wah Wahs when throttle is open less than full. Once throttle is WO ... back to the Wah Wahs / 7700-7800 rpm. Clicking from position 3 to position 4 and no change...?

Anybody?

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
couldn't plug check as snow conditions don't allow for a sustained pull.. to many stumps! Mains are at 390, not sure on pilots. thinking of cleaning carbs and going to 20 pilots (to richen mid range) as I am experiencing a hanging idle as well. Pulling my hair out, headed out for a trip Sat and the sled is a turd as it's running now.

How do I check for proper DPM function?

Last edited:
M

Macattack

Nov 27, 2007
Lake Tapps
ahh, same condition occurs with load (pow) and no load (trail)? Sounds weird. I'd have to guess that your primary is fighting with your secondary or the engine can't overcome the primary spring finish force.

theory: If you aren't reaching 8100, then it would seem your secondary is opening too soon. The lower gears may be tricking the secondary with a low ground force and the secondary opens too soon while your primary doesn't reach full shift. But at a longer run you'd eventually reach max rpm.

theory: Or, you are still too heavy with fly weigh mass. Engine can't spin the primary with the higher finish force spring. Like BJ said if the primary spring has a higher finish force, it may hold the rpms from bouncing around but if you don't have enough engine poop to spin it .... won't reach max rpm.

theory: Are the rave valves in good shape.

I'd empty the pins and click up until max rpm.

M

Macattack

Nov 27, 2007
Lake Tapps
What about clicker 5 or 6? Any change there?

Sticky rave exhaust valves could limit the amount of power the engine produces. If they don't expand or compress, the exhaust port is limited only allowing max power in one condition. Changing the exhaust port allows more exhaust to escape, hence opening up more horse power to the engine.

The pilot only affects the bottom end. Idle to like an 1/8-1/4 throttle. Shimming the needle or moving the needle clip will fatten or lean out the mid range. 1/4-3/4

D
Oct 13, 2008
It is a pain, but maybe go back to your original set up and see if it makes any difference. It will help rule in or out the clutch setup. If it does the same thing clutching is not the problem.

Premium Features