• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled bogs and then dies after a couple of miles

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
i have a 96 ultra tripple ,tripple jetted for 8000 ft, and we got some good snow in town(4500 ft) last week and i was riding it around and after a couple of miles it would bog and then lock the engine up for a couple of seconds, then if you wait a minute and it will restart and run for another mile or so and then do the same thing. plug color looks good. and the temp light wasnt coming on ( not sure if it works) oil level was on the low line when this was happening. any ideas?

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Make sure your coolant is flowing like its supposed to be. The bog and then lock up makes me think its leaning out. Spray carb cleaner around your carb boots, if it increases idle you have a leaky boot. Otherwise clean your carbs and check your jets.

T
Dec 6, 2007
i have a 96 ultra tripple ,tripple jetted for 8000 ft, and we got some good snow in town(4500 ft) last week and i was riding it around and after a couple of miles it would bog and then lock the engine up for a couple of seconds, then if you wait a minute and it will restart and run for another mile or so and then do the same thing. plug color looks good. and the temp light wasnt coming on ( not sure if it works) oil level was on the low line when this was happening. any ideas?

If you are jetted for 8000 feet you are way too lean to be running hard at 4500, you most likely have done damage and lets hope you can get away with a set of pistons and not have to get the cly's replated. If you are just taking it easy you can get away with it but no way can you run WOT with that jetting, all it takes is about 10 seconds and the damage is done. You need to be on top of your jetting. The reason the temp light does not come on is the pistons is getting tight before the coolant has a chance to get hot. I am not sure why your plug color looks good because at least one of them should be grey or have some nice little sparkles on it. If you are lucky it will just be one cly. I am just wondering but did you not know about the jetting or did you just take a chance?

Premium Features