• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick

T
Aug 8, 2011
How is everyone liking their Boondocker Sidekick kits on the 850? How do they seem to run? Are they seeming to be crisp and clean?

How about clutching? What are you getting them to produce for track speeds in deep snow on which track length?

Thanks for any info

Jake

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Tree Thrasher,

Check with your local dealer about a demo opportunity. These forums can go sideways in about 10 seconds. That is why very few active people visit or discuss anything on here. You ask a simple straight forward question to owners of the Sidekick, then get the reply you got......

I represent the manufacturer so cannot answer as a customer, but yesterday on a demo, long deep climb held 63 mph. The bottom end and instant throttle response is what is so fun. Blip the throttle and jump logs and pillows. Super quick bottom end. Top screams like a turbo.

Where are you located? P.M. me and I will try to hook you up with a demo. You have to spend time on it first hand. Everything else is subjective.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Tree Thrasher,

Check with your local dealer about a demo opportunity. These forums can go sideways in about 10 seconds. That is why very few active people visit or discuss anything on here. You ask a simple straight forward question to owners of the Sidekick, then get the reply you got......

I represent the manufacturer so cannot answer as a customer, but yesterday on a demo, long deep climb held 63 mph. The bottom end and instant throttle response is what is so fun. Blip the throttle and jump logs and pillows. Super quick bottom end. Top screams like a turbo.

Where are you located? P.M. me and I will try to hook you up with a demo. You have to spend time on it first hand. Everything else is subjective.

Just wanted to say, good post brosef. See, we can agree!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Who do you guys sell these kits to? This is for you as well JJ. Just got back from McCall and rode with Cody Monroe. These guys only know of one kit around town and apparently it runs like garbage... I won't say what brand it is. I have done more traveling this year than ever and have come across ZERO turbos on a 850. I swear I am the only guy dumb enough in the USA to turbo a 850 :face-icon-small-dis

Oh and the people that I was flying by doing wheelies that were stuck in the 3' of fresh Pow would just stare at me like they had just seen a unicorn when they would hear my BOV :eyebrows:

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Mine runs awesome and we have snow. Cleanest bottom end I ever had. Gotta get out of Washington. It's like guns. Liberals don't buy turboes.:)

You are one lucky guy. I think half my problem is I am really hard on stuff. You can ask Tony Jenkins, if it's bolts on a snowmobile, I'll figure out a way to bend, break, and eventually destroy it :face-icon-small-win

On a side note I think I'm going to head back out to McCall in a week or so if anyone wants to show me their big beautiful flawless bullet proof unicorn of a turbo 850 :flypig:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Jenkins is a hoot to ride with. If anyone can break stuff it's him.
Does yours have a little burble down low like my buddy's mpi? Only trouble I've had is doo venting sucks in epic snow. Nose vents and footwells plugged in epic snow. Was roasting some hoses and wires.

wileybird

Premium Member
Feb 20, 2011
You are one lucky guy. I think half my problem is I am really hard on stuff. You can ask Tony Jenkins, if it's bolts on a snowmobile, I'll figure out a way to bend, break, and eventually destroy it :face-icon-small-win

On a side note I think I'm going to head back out to McCall in a week or so if anyone wants to show me their big beautiful flawless bullet proof unicorn of a turbo 850 :flypig:

Come to big horns or cook city n I’ll ride with you! Got a nice red line turbo kit that’s fun flawless for me!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Who do you guys sell these kits to? This is for you as well JJ. Just got back from McCall and rode with Cody Monroe. These guys only know of one kit around town and apparently it runs like garbage... I won't say what brand it is. I have done more traveling this year than ever and have come across ZERO turbos on a 850. I swear I am the only guy dumb enough in the USA to turbo a 850 :face-icon-small-dis

Oh and the people that I was flying by doing wheelies that were stuck in the 3' of fresh Pow would just stare at me like they had just seen a unicorn when they would hear my BOV :eyebrows:

Well considering how many sleds are sold in North America, turbos are still pretty rare. I don't want to disclose information that is confidential but the number of 850 kits we've sold is in the hundreds. They are absolutely out there, but they aren't so common place everyone has them (hence why I have a job!)

Be awesome if you make it to JH Chadly! Lot of them floating around here. Be curious what you think...

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Well considering how many sleds are sold in North America, turbos are still pretty rare. I don't want to disclose information that is confidential but the number of 850 kits we've sold is in the hundreds. They are absolutely out there, but they aren't so common place everyone has them (hence why I have a job!)

Be awesome if you make it to JH Chadly! Lot of them floating around here. Be curious what you think...

Ditto.... exactly. There are a lot out there, but so many sleds it's hard to bump into one by chance. The turbo guys also usually hang together in groups. The best areas to ride, and you will see turbos, is not Cooke, or McCall. Those "destination locations" are not hardly ever ridden by local mountain guys. I was born and raised in Big Timber. We used to go up the bolder canyon over the top, then drop into Cooke when we were kids. Terry probably knows the route!!! Haaha

We'll hit Cooke and McCall for a demo on occasion, but thats it. There are endless untouched miles of nasty stuff from Seeley Lake north to the Canadian border, Sand point north to the border, and Look out pass south. If you ever rode these areas, you would never go to Cooke. Hook up with some locals is the best way. You usually have to ride in blind folded though. Haaha.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I went to Cooke because it was 40 degrees everywhere else! Cool town and very nice people but I don't think I'd ever ride there again. As for McCall I don't mind if it's a destination town because every time I have went finding fresh tracks were never a problem.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I went to Cooke because it was 40 degrees everywhere else! Cool town and very nice people but I don't think I'd ever ride there again. As for McCall I don't mind if it's a destination town because every time I have went finding fresh tracks were never a problem.

Yes, McCall is pretty cool country. Great food, people and lots of riding opportunities. South on the west side of cascade lake is great. North has everything. Good place. We need to all hook up for a weekend there, then up here in N.W. Montana. It would be great. Rob Alford comes down once in a while, we are planning another ride soon. We could have a great group and get to know everyone.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Well after about 800 miles on my sidekick 850 last year I can say that I am very pleased with how well it worked. I made several small personal alterations to the kit when I assembled the sled. Clutching was a challenge but we settled on a combo that is easy on belts, loads the motor just right early for the best throttle response I have ever ridden on a turbo, and wails track speed in a hill to the point you would swear it's gotta be on 10 lbs. This is a very impressive product. Clean, easy install, great sound while being quiet, and no issues in 800 miles. Word is the sidekick 850 doo kit will be improved for 2019, it's a great setup!!

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
We ran 3 boondocker 850's last year with great results. The install, as simple as they are relative to 5 years ago, is still important. We had issues with a boondocker kit on an axys and it ended up being mag side charge box came off the throttle body. The hose clamp was in at an angle from the install.

The clutching on the 850 is critical. The pdrive is so much more finicky than the tra.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Had Mile High Powersports install a SideKick on my 2017 Gen 4 Summit X 165, picking up this week. Hoping to have similar track speed to my old custom built 1000cc mod sled, 70-90 mph track speed is a wonderful thing in the steep and deep.

Now just need some snow:face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:
Premium Features