• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aro ski in spring conditions

E
Dec 19, 2007
So now that the power is gone how are you guys liking the aro ski. I switched back to the old ski about a month ago and like the old one better right now but we will soon be getting into the mushy phase of spring snow where the fat bastard might be better.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So now that the power is gone how are you guys liking the aro ski. I switched back to the old ski about a month ago and like the old one better right now but we will soon be getting into the mushy phase of spring snow where the fat bastard might be better.

Old ski better on concrete. (A lot better)

Fatty good in the slush and mashed potatoes. (Keeps the nose up and doesn’t wash)

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Trim 1/8 " of the outside runner's and you will like it.

A super aggressive trim front and back on the centre runner helps as well. Make sure to keep the centre hight the same , just a long smote running in and out allows for less steering effort in hardback and the outsides not toughing unless needed on the straights helps a bunch as well. ( It takes a bit to get used to the outside engaging later at a much steeper lean angle, but it has no washout issues at all) More like a bike feel.

I also shim the ski rubber for a solid flat running ski , it is an improvement in all conditions. No Need to switch back and forth if set up correct. I feel no noticeable drawback in powder or slush.

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan

A super aggressive trim front and back on the centre runner helps as well. Make sure to keep the centre hight the same , just a long smote running in and out allows for less steering effort in hardback and the outsides not toughing unless needed on the straights helps a bunch as well. ( It takes a bit to get used to the outside engaging later at a much steeper lean angle, but it has no washout issues at all) More like a bike feel.

I also shim the ski rubber for a solid flat running ski , it is an improvement in all conditions. No Need to switch back and forth if set up correct. I feel no noticeable drawback in powder or slush.

Please explain " trim 1/8 from the outside runners"

E
Dec 19, 2007

I'll try trimming the outside runners, and stick it back in service for the next 2 months. I always felt like they touch down a tad to early in the lean which was when it felt unpredictable.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Ok we had snow so crusty that the sleds barely could break the surface. Sometimes just spun out on top

We made it I think 8km of trails in before I shut er down with the yeti ski and turned around and went home, the sledder right behind me. Not fun is an understatement. They should make serial killers and terrorists ride a yeti ski in the crusty spring snow as punishment.

I think my seasons done. That was the worst ride I’ve ever had in that hard snow.

E
Dec 19, 2007
don't give up yet. The trick this time of year is don't go if its cold unless there was a fresh dump that didn't get a chance to re-freeze. Wait until afternoon on a sunny day and it softens right up (skiers call it corn). Even the yeti ski works good in spring corn snow.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
don't give up yet. The trick this time of year is don't go if its cold unless there was a fresh dump that didn't get a chance to re-freeze. Wait until afternoon on a sunny day and it softens right up (skiers call it corn). Even the yeti ski works good in spring corn snow.

Yep it’s spring riding 101

Premium Features