• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 KX500 137SX Timbersled Build

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Pleased to Report that the KX500 is now finally dialed. This thing is just a blast! Some fresh snow up at brooks lake made for some great riding above 10k! I about lost a handlebar bolt from a drop in the telephone wire pass but what a day! Really made the hole ride worth it! The new skag was great on the trail and off! Made it a blast to blow through snow berms!

picture.php

She will be for sale at the World Championship hill climb here in Jackson WY on 24 and 25 at my buddy from All Power Sports booth. Come check it out or just come talk some snow bikes!

I will also have the AKT Wheel setup on display. The guys at AKT have donated a tail light kit to be given away at the race! Stop by for the chance to win!

Check out their products here: http://www.akramertech.ca/designs.html

I Can't wait to see the snow bike market evolve more! Blasting through those trees this weekend was amazing!

Some more products to install before the hillclimb I plan on upgrading the impeller and water pump and get her all shined up!

Cool man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
That looks just like the first piston on my Cr500. I thought it was a 4 point cold seize. I rebuilt the top end rode one day hard all good. Next day up the trail same thing seizola. Turns out I had a small hairline crack in my bottom case half where the main crank bearing rides and the crank was walking. On the first rebuild it measured fine but under load it would move enough to pinch the rings. $300 for the first top end rebuild and $1000 for the second one including a new bottom end. I love the 500's but its getting tough to ignore the fact that these motors and parts are 25 years old. If someone built a modern 500 I would be all over that.

M5

My god you are 100% correct haha. I just made the same journey you did. Took me 2-Top ends to get there. Crank seal went blew the motor mid Jackson Hillclimb! Lesson learned. Anytime I rip an engine apart in the future I am going to tear that bad boy all the way down and build her back up!

M
Jan 14, 2004
That's the smart move, that said I just finished doing a new top end on my500. It had around 80 hours on it since the last total rebuild which is too much for a 2 stroke top end but all seemed good had a quick deglaze done by my cylinder guy, new piston, rings and reeds and go again. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my KTM 450, there are so many friggin parts in that motor its ridiculous. Love the 2 stroke for its simplicity.

M5

L
Nov 15, 2016
How are you finding the 137sx kit, any issues with it? I'm considering buying a secondhand one for my 300xcw. (Not the best bike for it, but it is all I got) Or is the new ARO kit just that much better and I should just bite the bullet and get a new one?

Premium Features