• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

brake snake style setup for rad shrouds?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
ok. im not sure how the previous owner sold me the bike in such nice shape because my god have I destroyed this thing in 35 engine hours.

both shrouds are destroyed, twice, on each bike. its a common KTM thing apparently. first the tab breaks, so I zip tie it. thats strike 1. then the plastic breaks off so I zip tie it again, strike 2. then the plastic breaks right off and im without shrouds. strike 3. both sides this has happened on 3 times each and on both bikes. I think ive repaired 12 shrouds now.

anyone got any tips other than dont run shrouds?

for those that dont know... this is a brake snake and it prevents branches and twigs from getting between your brake and frame, or even your shifter and frame.

I am wondering if you could make the same thing on the front shrouds so branches cant get BEHIND the plastic to pull it away from the rad and break it.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I would suggest to not hit stuff with them:face-icon-small-hap

Some inferior rad guards use the rubber straps to hold on the plastic, that is just useless in woods riding and the result is what you describe. I often was able to bolt the plastic on after a bit of massaging with a heat gun. The unabiker rad guards seem to fit under the plastic the best and allow for a solid bolt on to avoid the above scenario.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I just rip both of them off in the trees and run without them.

45ae76aa6f2151fbb8d7239c72307e8e.jpg

Both sides. :)

Last edited:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Factory KTM offroad bikes use the rubber strap from an XC kickstand to hold shroud to radiator. Damn you must be a savage, I have never ripped off a shroud.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
youve never had one break off?

my favorite is when I forget to zip tie them, or it breaks mid ride and I hit the road it acts like a kite at 70mph and folds out to a 90 degree angle from the tank and almost rips right off.

getting new shrouds tomorrow, the custom decals are $220 to replace!!! ouch. I cant have these breaking anymore. will let you know what I figure.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I used to break them off all the time on my CR 500 because of the way they were shaped I think. They would even get pulled back when i dumped it on steep hardpack facing downhill. On my yz they wrap around and curve inward and I don’t catch them on as many things. Replaced them once last year (40$). Haven’t broke them this year so far.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I've never broke radiator shrouds on my snow bike or dirtbike...I go through pipes like crazy though.

Yep, Knock on wood, They are expensive once you have custom graphics involved. I seem to break the plastic that makes the airbox complete. Mid-section if you will. Gets brittle in cold, and then gets highsided upon. Never notice till she thaws.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Wraps look great in the garage, if you ride the thing total waste of money IMO because they are just going to get destroyed. I'd rather spend my money of actual performance. You can buy some pretty nice hard parts for the total cost of a bike and kit wrap which is pushing $500 around here.

M5

R
Apr 18, 2016
No wraps here either, I put a "pack your trash" sticker on everything I own because I hate litter....other than that just plastic. I replace my plastics like every 5 years, I get a wild hair and think "I'm going to put new plastics on my bike" I put the kit on there and after riding it one time it looks like I drug it behind the truck again.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
My god there is nothing that pisses me off more than looking in my rear view every time I haul a Ktm and see their shroud plastic about to rip off. Especially on my one ride old shrouds. I just can’t keep them unbroken. All winter or summer long I deal with this.

Premium Features