• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP turbo build. Leak at carb throttle shaft.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Hello all. I'm wrapping up my turbo build and was doing a smoke check to look for leaks. I have a machine that injects pressurized smoke and you look for it to leak out. I've got a leak at the PTO side carb throttle shaft behind the return spring. Not a big one, but it's there. Worry? Run it?

Last edited:
C
Jun 7, 2016
Ionia Michigan
I would also like to know I built a 07 rev with a 2867 and also have a leak at the throttle shaft. That will not cause it to be lean under boost but I'm dealing with lag and wondering if the small leak is enough to cause slow boost build.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Boost leaks will cause you to run rich on turbos, not lean because you lose pressure but still have the same amount of gas expecting that pressure.

As far as a small leak at the carb shaft, depends how big the leak it, but I can't imagine it allows much air to get past it. Shouldn't cause run ability issues.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Run it.
In the carb turbo days I spent hours and hours and hours trying various different packages. As long as you are referencing boost pressure to the carb properly and with enough volume the small leaks around the linkage is never any issue.
However you want to be right on top of finding any leaks and eliminate the potential for small leaks to become larger as pressure and heat builds.

As far as a boost leaks creating a burn down scenario of any sort, I never experienced that.

Premium Features