• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 Powder Special Seat, What Years Fit , Anyone Got One

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
My 99 came with, an RX-1 seat, believe it or not, so I have the stock gas tank, so what seats will fit it as far as years, ZR/ZL M/C, PS etc. And by chance does anyone have one, even if it needs to be recovered.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
Buy a 1M tank and seat, will replace it just great and loose a few pounds and have a clear tank. Have one on my 99 PS 600 and looks great!

Sprocket

PS if u want to stay with the stock heavy seat and tank assy 98 to 00 will fit.

B
Sep 24, 2002
Utah
I just modified the stock tank and mounted a 1M seat. You just need to cut off the seat base from the tank and add the front mounting loops for the seat. Buy the pins for the back end and drill the 2 holes. It took me less than an hour to mount it. I used a nylon strap for the front loops, but some square u-bolts would probably be easier to get the seat back on if you remove it frequently.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
I just modified the stock tank and mounted a 1M seat. You just need to cut off the seat base from the tank and add the front mounting loops for the seat. Buy the pins for the back end and drill the 2 holes. It took me less than an hour to mount it. I used a nylon strap for the front loops, but some square u-bolts would probably be easier to get the seat back on if you remove it frequently.

Do you think a 02 Pantera seat would bolt up, I could get one tank and all for cheap. I'm wondering if the seat comes off a non mtn. sled it's gonna have a tailite no, and it would hit rack?

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
It will work, it is basically the 13 gal tank assy used on ZR sleds with one big difference, the seat is for a two up model and the 600 and 800 models r efi tanks. I'm not sure that is what you want on your sled. There seems to be plenty of 1M seats and tanks around here for cheap, and I told u in an earlier post I have one on my 99 PS.

Sprocket

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
What if I want to use my existing tank, and buy a used crappy seat to fit it so I can have high rise seat made, what seats am I limited to, I found a 2001 seat but it looks like it may not fit my tank, is the tank to seat combo critical.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
Your probably gonna be better off going with a tank/seat combo whichever way you go. I've gotten pretty good at this. Mounted a Polaris IQ seat and tank to my 900 King Cat, took that 1M setup and converted it over to my '96 ZRT.

the IQ setup on the King Cat:
100_0403.jpg

Mocking up the 1M setup on the ZRT:
100_0262.jpg

the 1M set up for sale:
900chassis.jpg

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
PowderCrew, the King looks great! Just need to get rid of that logo on the seat!. Do u have pics of the ZRT with the 1M seat tank combo finished or did u give up on that project?

Sprocket

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
Thanks Sprocket! No... the ZRT is still ongoing. Hard to work on it with all the riding going on! Need 2 a-arms for it and gonna use the same technique for the seat mount as I did for the King. (and yes... the seat will be recovered!)

100_0361.jpg

100_0358.jpg

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
NICE SLEDS. So I guess it's a tank seat combo or the seat has to fit the powder special tank, any of you guys know how I can cross reference the tank to what sleds Cat used it on, to narrow down seats.All I need is a crappy base and I got a local shop that will build me a hi rise seat for cheap.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
OK so I found out how to cross reference part numbers, I got a fellow Sno Wester offered me a seat/ tank or seat only from a 98 ZR 600 but the part numbers are different, anyone know the difference other than the part number the schematic is exact, it's cheaper to send the seat only but if I have to I guess I'll do the assembly.

B
Sep 24, 2002
Utah
only difference between the ZR seat and the PS seat is the cutout in the seat cover for the tail light. The tank may be different internally for the EFI or Carb sleds.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
The 98 ZR has the 11 gal tank, your 99 PS700 has a 13 gal tank.

Sprocket

Thanks Sprocket, now I see the difference in part numbers, I guess I can mount up the whole 11 gal. set up from the 98 I don't go on long trips, do you know if the 98 seat would fit my 99 tank.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
For anyone following this I thought I'd post my results for anyone needing the same. First of all the 11 gal ZR seat set-up will fit the PS chassis, but the seat will not fit the 13 gal. PS tank so , no they won't interchange, you're best bet is to use a seat sized to that tank, but I would assume any model will fit each other as long as tank is same size. My thanks to fellow Sno Wester "Boone" who hooked me up with a cheap seat/tank "core" to get started and then I had a local upholstery guy raise the seat 3" and reupholster for 100 bucks, way cheaper than a Boss, and I got a similar seat set-up though it holds a litlle less fuel but I'm riding.

Premium Features