• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for some opinions on a sled

P
ok guys, I know this is the cat section but I am looking at two sleds and cant decide whats better. First is a 2000 powder special 700 with a 144 and second is a 2000 RMK800 151. Both have fairly low miles (under 2000) and are stock under the hood. I know the RMKs have the crank issues but heard it wasnt till 2001. I dont know much about cats except that they are suppose to be lighter. I am coming off a 98 mach1 144 and am affraid the cat might be a disapointment. Oh yeah, there both the same price too. So give me your take as Im a rookie

S
Sep 16, 2010
Both will have less power than your Mach 1 (which is an 800 triple/triple). The RMK will make more power than the powder special 700, and has a larger track already.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Given the limited options you are offering...I would also say to go with the Poo. The cat 700 was a pretty big disappointment. But if I were you, I would look into getting an '01 or newer AC Mountain Cat 800 or even a 900. A very solid and reliable chassis and a near bullet proof motor. You will not be disappointed!! Plus you can usually find the older ones pretty cheap. Just my 2 cents.

Boone

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
ditto.

Keep looking, there are more sleds out there!

if the comparison was the exact opposite it'd be tougher, the poo 7 works very well & lasts forever, and the Cat 8 is a great motor... but you're looking at the worst from each category.

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
01 AC had a recall on the pistons and many other makes and models in 00-01 had bad pistons. Have you replaced yours.

How much do you want to spend.

Thanks Wyo, i have heard about the piston recall. I'm the third owner, the second guy picked it up at about 400 miles and i got it from him at 2150ish. I asked him and he didnt know anything about the piston problem. I also called the local Cat dealer and they were not real helpful either. So it was possibly fixed by the original owner or maybe it still has the original slugs, im not sure. I compression tested it last week and it has 135 on both holes. I had planned on replacing them but SPIs were on back order and im not into $500 dollar top end swaps through Cat. Wiseco is not an option for me.

Premium Features