• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for info '99-02 ZRT/TCat conversion to MCat

S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
Just acquired a very clean all stock '99 ZRT-800 and since I have no real use for a short tracker, plan on stretching it out. However, no experience with Cat sleds, so don't have any idea about what parts fit, interchange, etc.

Few starting questions for anyone that's done this conversion:

1) From what I've been told, the skids are the same except for rail length between the 121 and longer sleds- can anyone confirm this? Assuming this is true, seems that longer rails are all that's really needed.

2) Does the MC use smaller drive sprocket to gain track lug clearance vs. the trail sled? Is it safe to run just the 2 inner cogs?

3) Do the TCat and ZRT-800 share the same muffler?

4) What seats interchange with this chassis?

5) What skis interchange with this front end? What skis are recommended, either Cat or aftermarket?

6) Other mods that make sense on these sleds for deep snow use?

Thanks in advance.

mods

well i took a 96 t-cat dropped in a 96 800 zrt motor, still using the t-cat exhaust, found longer rails off of a 02 polaris egde 151 for the 162 track i put on an still had modify mounts back bout 3-4 inches further, dropped the gearing ratio to a 2.25, i have on 8 tooth drivers, you can run just 2 inner but for durability and longevity to help keep the track square I run all 4 drivers. for the big triple cats I putin on the ski take offs of my 02 skidoo summit, the rear heat exchanger that curves i took that off and put on one off of a zx skidoo chassis, and a total of 6 inches of bar riser on it

Last edited:
I swapped in the entire rear skid, and drilled new holes for the front arm and moved the rear mount accordingly for the rear mount, now for whatever skid/track you do make sure it is moved back far enough to take up track slack to prevent racheting.

just makes sure that you get the right length of rails for the track, like the rails I have are from a 151 edge chassis and we tried to put them on a 151 on a 98summit x and the rails were too long, and they were just about right for that 162 on that cat.

if these pics come in that is the final on my cat

S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
sgtx- sorry, not on facebook...

Well I'm committed now, for better or worse. Custom 159" tunnel coming (NIB from someone else's un-finished project, got it for not much more than a standard tunnel extension would have cost me) found a RMK 151 skid somewhat close, on the fence about using that skid plus extensions- think I'd rather just have a true 159" skid.

Next step will be sourcing a good U-cooler as well, don't want the stock strip coolers.

Need to see how much clearance is up in front of the drivers, hoping to clear a 2 1/8" track if I can.

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
I have a full length fabcraft u cooler from my old king cat mod if that will work for you,I had them build it for a 144 fabcraft tunnel but I ended running it in my stock tunnel it worked great they say it will cool 350hp

8 tooth drivers should not a a prob clearing that track, the skids from a polaris edge is longer than others of comparison, like mine is off of a 151 edge and we first tried to use it on my dads 670x we put a 151 on it and rails were too long, so I ended up using it for that. so that I would check what length of rails not just by what it came off of but actually measuring first.

H
Oct 23, 2010
I'm jumping into a similar project. I have a Powder Special with a 136" skid that I am trying to fit a 153" M7 skid under. I can't fit a 153" track under because the paddles are too long on it. Were you successful with fitting the 151" track on your sled? what was your mounting position for the skid? I would love to see some pictures of progress/ finished porject if ya got em.

thanks

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Did'nt read all the posts but,, if you are talking about adding a 2" track and the 8 tooth drivers one thing you can do is use an aluminum grinding disc and trim the ribs on the front cooler. I did this on 2 different sleds,, A 93 580 z and a 96 zrt 800. DON'T trim all of the rib out of the front cooler. You can leave just enough to be visable. This takes a little while to do but will give more clearance. Not much but a little. I think I used 8 tooth drivers but I might have used 7 tooth. These sleds are bad for track ratchet so if you can afford it buy extrovert drivers then you can run the track looser which will free up horse power. Run 15 wide chain and 19/43 0r 20/46 if that bottom gear will fit.

Premium Features