• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gotta start somewhere

Well, here goes the intro.
I just bought a new to me 03 Yamaha RX-1 (stock). I've never owned a sled before, but I've been out with friends a dozen times or so. My primary reason for buying a sled was for ice fishing access, but I've got enough friends and clients that ride regularly that I wanted enough power to go out and keep up and not be the effin new guy in the back digging out. I have a pretty good idea that once I get into it I will ride more and fish less.
I live in Utah (SLC area), but I travel for work up into eastern Idaho and western Wyoming a lot and wouldn't mind getting hooked up with someone to show me the ropes.
I decided on a 4 stroke sled for the durability and reliability. I can't imagine that a few pound really makes as big a difference as it does, but it must because of all the money people spend to shed a few pounds. I guess we'll find out.
If any one has any pointers on the RX 1 that would be great. I'm not a professional snowmobile mechanic, but I'm fairly mechanically inclined and can handle most mechanical problems myself.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Welcome to SnoWest! :) Might not hurt adding in your profile where you are from. That would make it easier for you to hook up with folks.

Glad to have you with us!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Welcome to SW! The 4 strokes aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be, you will have a good time. A bad day on the snow is better than a great day at work!

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Welcome New Guy!!!

RX-1... Well it will be dependant on the style of riding you do whether you find it heavy. I've ridden, mod'd, chopped and hacked and stashed great mounts of hp under the hoods of sleds. I just sold my greatest proj. 02 polaris rmk... 420 lbs, 200 + hp. Was a real cool sled and easy to ride and handle. I bought an Alpine turbo nytro last x-mas. It is heavy in spring conditions in the mountains. Here where I live, it rules the trails. It rides and holds the trail awesome!!! In the pow in the mountains... try to keep up!!! :):):)

Good luck and stay safe.

:beer;:beer;:beer;

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
Welcome New Guy, the snow is an addicting thing regardless of the sled you ride. May as well start selling your other winter fun stuff. You'll need the funds to fuel your new passion, and you won't want to do anything else.

Premium Features