• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

reducing size of exhaust hole to fit new can.

C
Nov 13, 2008
Hey guys, I'm putting a can on my 2002 summit. I see the factory hole in the pan is way to big and I need some way to take that extra room up for the smaller outlet on the MBRP can.

What have you all done? With all the can's it's sure to have been solved and in a clean way too.

thanks.

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
My skinz can came with a little rubber ring that made it all fit tight.... go buy a flat sheet of ABS plastic cut a hole big enough for your can and rivet the sheet over your old hole. That is what I did on my RMK.

My skinz can came with a little rubber ring that made it all fit tight.... go buy a flat sheet of ABS plastic cut a hole big enough for your can and rivet the sheet over your old hole. That is what I did on my RMK.

^^^^ What he said... or a piece of tin rivetted down works too... Leave a little room for the can port as you will ratch it if it is too tight

B

Bburrap

Dec 1, 2008
Squamish BC
The Thing Can

I'm dealing with the same problem with the Thing Can on my XP. I will say that if you use a ABS plastic will you have a problem with heat and the plastic melting?
I don't have the answer myself yet, just got a hold of the Sled Shed the distributer of the Thing, ask them if they had a gasket or answer to the issue.
Suggest ya do the same with MBRP, you'd think they heard the question before.

Let ya know.

Last edited:
B

Bburrap

Dec 1, 2008
Squamish BC
so the hole that you guys are talking about would be where the can sticks throught the underside and exits the sled right????

Correct!

Al from the Sled Shed got back to me regarding my issue. Yeah he basically gave me the run around and told me that its a non issue. I don't buy that, it was a issue with the 09 xp with the machine taking in fumes and bogging.

Thats what I figured the response would be not suprised really!

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Sorry to clarify I used a sheet of ABS and some heat tape. Go buy a small sheet of alum. and some high heat rubber from autozone/checker that way it wont vibrate on the metal and will not melt like ABS. :face-icon-small-ton

B

Bburrap

Dec 1, 2008
Squamish BC
Sounds good

Sorry to clarify I used a sheet of ABS and some heat tape. Go buy a small sheet of alum. and some high heat rubber from autozone/checker that way it wont vibrate on the metal and will not melt like ABS. :face-icon-small-ton

Sounds good, might try it, completely doable! You wouldn't have a picture of your work would ya?

Thanks

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
I used a piece of the plastic from the lower portion of snow flap that I cut off.

Started by cutting a moon shape out of heavy paper. . . cut till it fit good.

Once the paper form was done I cut the same shape from the plastic. Used black RTV to glue it in place.

T
Jun 17, 2008
bburapp sugesting the rubber ring from the 02 to o6 doo sled is a suggestion for the xp guys if ya really need to close the hole . you cut the rubber ring to fit to diameter size and slide it in . .
my suggesting that the exhaust fumes can't get to the xp 's intake shouldnt be taken as blowin you off ,
any bogging on the xp was from lack of available intake air as there air box is very tight inside the cab.
we eliminate the bog that can happen in heavy snow consistancey days with the adding of either tpi valves on the air box attached to the carbs or we simpley add two holes to the air box 1 inch diameter and cover them with door scren or other filter material .
this totally elimintaes any bog.
as for closeing off the 02 for the guys thread here you could use aluminium to do it on the 02 , much different scenario than the xp.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
A piece of .120 aluminum works good, make a panel and cut the hole out with a hole saw, I made on for my sled, it has had many exhaust set-ups from stock 97 670 to 740bb, crankshop twins to 98` ho exhaust, now 700 triple with dynoport can. so I had to cut out excess trimmed plastic and covered with aluminum riveted in.

Good Luck

triple pics mock up 2 005.jpg triple pics mock up 2 004.jpg

Premium Features