• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown up dragon

This will be the second time the mag side cylinder has blown up. I'm not getting any compression off that side. Is this the same problem as the other troubled dragons. This is a 08 D8 with 660 miles on it. The first time it happened with 333 miles on it. Good thing I bought the extended power train warranty. What should I ask the dealer to do since they are not familiar with these problems?

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
This will be the second time the mag side cylinder has blown up. I'm not getting any compression off that side. Is this the same problem as the other troubled dragons. This is a 08 D8 with 660 miles on it. The first time it happened with 333 miles on it. Good thing I bought the extended power train warranty. What should I ask the dealer to do since they are not familiar with these problems?
Have them run the vin number and check Team tips. They will have to order the "top End re-build kit" They are on back order. I have been waiting for 4 weeks. Good luck...

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Out of curiosity what octane fuel were you running when the top end went out. Reason I ask is that Polaris says that you can run lower octane, but i'm not sure if thats the best idea. Also are you in and out of the throttle constantly like a mod sled or do you hold the throttle at a constant position. Just trying to do some research. Thanks

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Thin Air should be VERY familiar with these issues.

There is the update kit for the 08s with new pistons, head etc and the work is covered... I think that the kits are on back order... make your apointment and start a claim number.

You could also take this to Adrenalin powersports in the Grass Valley area... might be faster and those guys know their stuff. PM me if you need more info.

Also Polaris is backing up all of these repairs.. even out of warranty .. for the piston siezure problems on the 800's from what I hear.

Last edited:
I'm running the standard California 97 octane for fuel and I do get in and out of the throttle for boondocking and hill climbing. I took the machine to quincy the first time and they tried to blame me for the seize so this time I am taking it to chico where I will get better customer service.

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
sleds

Dont let the dealer say its your fault. It is not. The 800s have a problem some do it and some have 3000 miles on them no problems. A fix is coming!!!!!!!!

M
Dec 10, 2007
Herriman, UT
How do they determine which Dragons need the update? I have taken in my VIN to the local dealer twice and they said my sled doesn't need the update. Not even a fuel map update is needed is what I'm hearing from my dealer. I have a 08 Dragon 800 163" and haven't had any issues yet. I'm nearing 800 miles on it and I'm afraid the sled will have piston problems so I would like to get the update done before the snow flies next year.

How do I get them to do the update? I want to make damn sure I don't have any problems with the engine when I'm in deep snow up in the mountains.

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
SLeds

Just drive it until it blows up or look in the exhaust valves and see if it is scored. If it is and it is a 2008 have them do the updated kit team tip and the latest fuel map. Polaris will cover it. But the real fix wont be out for 60 days or so!!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
could somone post pictures of a scored piston so i know what it looks like thank you.:beer;

How many do you want?
The black on the side of the piston is the factory coating that will wear off after a little while. These pistons were pretty much brand new.

feb29025.jpg

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs

Replacing the voltage reg. and ECU fixed one of the reasons that I was scorings pistons.

The second reason for mine scoring, is the fact that it leans out when climbing steep slopes sometimes but only when having less than a 1/2 tank of fuel. We'll see if the new fuel assy fixes the issue when the rest of the parts come off of back order.

M
Dec 10, 2007
Herriman, UT
Update...

I took my sled in and had TriCityPerformance in Centerville take a look at my engine to determine whether I had the issues everyone was talking about. They found absolutely nothing. Not even a scorch or a brown spot. They took the header off and took the pipes off and checked everything. Even the fuel mapping checked out perfect. 165/165 something... (If I remember the numbers corectly.) The manager in the service department said my sled was perfect, engine wise.

So I consider myself lucky. Very lucky.

(Now having said this, I will probably blow my engine up on the next ride. LOL!)

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
How do they determine which Dragons need the update? I have taken in my VIN to the local dealer twice and they said my sled doesn't need the update. Not even a fuel map update is needed is what I'm hearing from my dealer. I have a 08 Dragon 800 163" and haven't had any issues yet. I'm nearing 800 miles on it and I'm afraid the sled will have piston problems so I would like to get the update done before the snow flies next year.

How do I get them to do the update? I want to make damn sure I don't have any problems with the engine when I'm in deep snow up in the mountains.

Mine went down at 775 miles exactly! I now have all of the 09 updated stuff and have been on 2 rides now. I pulled the valves out yesterday and they look to be starting scoring and are brown just above the ring like maybe they are getting hot?? I hope it isn't what I think! Damnit!!

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Second time now for my 08 to go down (sieze, pto side). First at 1300 mi now at 2300 mi. I'm thinking of waiting till Polaris comes with the REAL fix, then getting the repairs done. I guess I'm lucky to get as many miles? My chain broke at 2200 mi too and I'm not a big jumper.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Skibreeze i see you said they were pretty much new? i see the coating was almost all gone how many miles did you have?

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
after fighting my mid range bog in revy know my pistons are brown below the ring on the exhaust side, both stil have some minor scoring, hope they get it fixed cause i rode an xp for a day this weekend and i like my dragon a lot better, easier to throw around and no annoying vibration

Premium Features