• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmet speakers

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
What helmet speakers are loud enough to hear while riding. I tried some cheapies off e-bay when I had the King Cat and it was not loud enough.
It always sounded like the sled was breaking or rattling or???

I use the Sony ear buds with my ipod. These are the ones that have three different ear peice sizes to choose from and are about $40-$50 at best buy, I think? They are sleek and when in your ear, it also doubles as an ear plug. For me they are small enough that you don't feel the helmet pressing in. They work great on the airplane also!

Chris

P
Nov 26, 2007
Eugene, Or.
I think the ear plug/pod option is worth a try, however I have had good success with speakers I got out of an old cell phone. I mounted them inside my helmet to use with my radar detector while riding my bike. It worked great!
It could be that your source was not giving you enough power to wake up the speaker??? Are you wanting to hear an Ipod.... ?

Last edited:
V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
If you can afford it, Autocomm, or else google headphone amplifiers/homemade helmet speakers and make some out of computer speakers.

Motocomm is a cheaper version of Autocomm, heard mixed reviews about it.

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
I believe helmet speakers let in too much noise and they are hard on your hearing because you have to play it real loud and then with the mix of the sled noise its just too much. You need a headphone that cancels outside noise. Earbuds cancel much of your sled noise and you can run them quieter and have a higher quality sound. After searching the ipod forums I noticed the Shure E2c came up quite a bit and the price range was where I wanted to be so I just ordered some of those. You can get them on ebay for $50-100. Be careful cause I think there are some fakes out there.
My last buds were sennheiser 300's and they worked real good up until I lost them.
and I dont buy the whole I can hear my sled thing, I can hear it just fine.

Last edited:
I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Recently purchased a pair of Iasus XSound2 speakers from HelmetAudio.com (<$50US with shipping). Sound a lot better than the $75 pair I have in my dirtbike helmet (don't remember the brand). The poor sounding ones are real thin and have no bass, the Iasus are thicker and have a nice clear sound.

Helmet doesn't vibrate like one of those tuner cars at a stop light, but that's OK with me.

Have noticed my IPod Shuffle has a louder volume than the other IPods I own.

Last edited:
S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
I don't like listening to music while riding, but I do like staying in contact with other riders.

f2cd63de.jpg

Aircraft noise canceling mic and awesome speakers. Currently run an Icom radio, looking to go with a Yeasu soon.

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
Ditto.....would love to find a high end set of speakers for my collet. Speakers don't have much base, decent volume...but can't ROCK!

tell me more about that Icom radio. Can you have aux source plugged into it? Range of radio?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Once I get a sled, there's a good chance of me putting a on it. That has an Aux-In port on the back, Bluetooth support (Wireless helmet setup = cool!). 5watts VHF off my handheld with a little 0dB-gain rubber ducky antenna will get me about 20-50mi depending on terrain. Put a good antenna on it and you'll go much farther than that. Gain is good.

73 de K7AIH :)

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
Just kiddin!

I believe helmet speakers let in too much noise and they are hard on your hearing because you have to play it real loud and then with the mix of the sled noise its just too much.

HUH?

I want some noise canceling and higher quality sound. I am going to look into skullcandy thanks

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
Cowkiller if your helmet speakers dont cancel out the outside noise then you will have to turn them up louder to hear them. I had some cheap snowboard hoody speakers in mine for a day before I chucked them in the garbage. If you cancel out most of the outside noise then you can play your music at a lower volume and it sounds better and is easier on your ears. I wouldnt touch helmet speakers that didnt cup my ears with some sort of foam to block ambient noise. Earbuds are the best thing Ive seen.

S
Nov 27, 2007
I HAVE TRIED ON THE NEW TOBE HELMET AND IT IS SICK. I CAN'T WAIT TIL THE SPRING WHEN THE AUDIO HELMET IS RELEASED. TOBE ALSO HAS A SNAZZY PATCH CORD CONTROLLER THAT ALLOWS YOU TO OPERATE YOUR IPOD FROM THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR JACKET VIA A WATERPROOF/MACHINE WASHABLE CONTROL PANEL. I HAVE SKULL CANDY HEADPHONES FOR SNOWBOARDING AND THEY ARE EXCELLENT, SO THE SPEAKERS IN THIS HELMET SHOULD ROCK. CHECK OUT www.tobetechnology.com.

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
Ive tried 5 different sets of headphones lately, most of them more expensive than the skullcandy's. The skullcandys beat them all. Sad thing is my wife got the skull cangys for $10 on a christmas doorbuster. The shures fit better in my ear though and feel like they will not pull out when riding so I will prob use them.

Premium Features