• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

has anyony tried the AER spring kit?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
lots of talk but does it work and how stiff will the fork get?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Not yet, but working with Factory Connection to get higher rate spring made, then I'm sending them my forks.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Not yet, but working with Factory Connection to get higher rate spring made, then I'm sending them my forks.

that will be interesting, I running super stiff .62 springs on open chamber forks and there are two springs,that wood have to be a huge single spring to do the job.let us know how stiff of spring will fit in the tubes

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Don't remember the spring size, but they think it should act about like .60 in an Open chamber.

With valveving, hopefully we'll get a working setup.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
.60 with slow compression may be ok, what was the cost?

Don't know for sure yet what they'll charge for the heavier spring?

It would be $850 for them to do the spring conversion and revalve the non air side if they used one of the currently available springs.

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
I did the ORSS kit, with 10.3NM spring. Sent off the valve fork for work, much to soft without revalve. Will have it back soon and report.
Cheers

S
Mar 8, 2008
What about just replacing the forks with take off older Yamaha forks and have them valved for snow and use stock air forks for dirt. Quite a few on eBay pretty cheap.

I just found the thread on the air issue, havnt seen it yet but I'm checking out ohlins carterage fix or compete forks. Like the bike enough I'll be keeping it few years

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I'm probably going to pick up a 17 Husky/KTM in the spring/summer (unless the Honda is a total ripper) and my plan is to go onto ThumperTalk or KTMtalk and find someone to trade some 4CS forks for AERs straight across. I bet it would be possible to find someone who hates the 4CS enough to do that. The 4CS might not be awesome in the dirt but they are easy to setup good for the snow for around $250 with new springs, seals, and oil. So far my .64's with 15w oil are kicking ***... love them.

R
Dec 27, 2015
The Dirt Lab

The Dirt Lab - DivisionMX Suspension in North Salt Lake City, 801-683-8334. Call Jesse and Darin. They are great with snowbike setups. My front forks are great in deep powder and handle rough trail awesome. They are in most cases much cheaper then $850 for springs and revalving.

Last edited:
C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
The Dirt Lab - DivisionMX Suspension in North Salt Lake City, 801-683-8334. Call Jesse and Darin. They are great with snowbike setups. My front forks are great in deep powder and handle rough trail awesome. They are in most cases much cheaper then $850 for springs and revalving.

You do realize we're talking converting an AER fork to springs?

The conversion kits alone are $520 to 750, depending on who, where, and what you get.

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
Installed my forks tonight, with ORSS with a 10.3NM spring and had the valve fork redone. Totally good. Probably the stiffest forks I have had, very good valve job. I have a softer 9.6NM spring and will likely run that one as the 10.3 is VERY stiff. Will give full review after a ride this weekend. Either way, there is no need for stiffer springs than what is available now.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Installed my forks tonight, with ORSS with a 10.3NM spring and had the valve fork redone. Totally good. Probably the stiffest forks I have had, very good valve job. I have a softer 9.6NM spring and will likely run that one as the 10.3 is VERY stiff. Will give full review after a ride this weekend. Either way, there is no need for stiffer springs than what is available now.

on a snow bike its all about holding the fork up and extending the stroke. did you try the 10.3 with softer valving? with the air fork and the stock compression cranked all the way up its too harsh, I need to back off 5 clicks, The springs purpose is simply to hold bikes weight up high in the stroke, Which means the valve change is not likely necessary , Shops love to sell valving.

Last edited:
T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
Yes. In stock format, ie. Just adding the ORSS and keeping the right side fork stock was way to soft on comp(for me), and slow and sloppy on rebound. I did try crank up the compression and pre-load. There was a very big difference between stock and revalve. Now it takes a lot more force to compress, more as it gets to the bottom, and rebound is very strong. Very big difference from stock form. Night and day. IMO.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes. In stock format, ie. Just adding the ORSS and keeping the right side fork stock was way to soft on comp(for me), and slow and sloppy on rebound. I did try crank up the compression and pre-load. There was a very big difference between stock and revalve. Now it takes a lot more force to compress, more as it gets to the bottom, and rebound is very strong. Very big difference from stock form. Night and day. IMO.

If you did the revalve at the same time the ORSS then you didn't get to try the fork with stock valving and spring kit?

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
Yes I did. It was brutal. The forks would almost bottom out just jumping on the bike in the shop. I didn't actual ride it like that, it was that bad just jumping on it, and I'm 165lbs, so I immeadiatly send the other fork away.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes I did. It was brutal. The forks would almost bottom out just jumping on the bike in the shop. I didn't actual ride it like that, it was that bad just jumping on it, and I'm 165lbs, so I immeadiatly send the other fork away.

K tech sells the spring conversion and the inners for the valving side replacement cartridge as a full kit as well.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
K tech sells the spring conversion and the inners for the valving side replacement cartridge as a full kit as well.

I just had a long conversation with K Tech and they are not suggesting their spring conversion as a great option, they are simply offering it as a possible solution. I does make perfect sense that without the air chamber and the rising air rate that you will blow right through the stroke quickly. will wait for your ride report.

Premium Features