• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse axys

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Auxiliary injectors with Impulse fueling. If people don't know our fueling is as good as it gets. No buttons to push, no adjusting at all by the rider. The ecu with all the necessary inputs we have feeding into it auto adjusts from sea level to 13k ft. Just pull the rope and ride. The way it should be.

We only use top of the line components. Just to name a few.
-tial turbine housings
-tial wastegates
-tial blow off valve
-Garrett Gtx turbo

We dont skimp on parts or design just to save a few bucks, or make the design easier.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Auxiliary injectors with Impulse fueling. If people don't know our fueling is as good as it gets. No buttons to push, no adjusting at all by the rider. The ecu with all the necessary inputs we have feeding into it auto adjusts from sea level to 13k ft. Just pull the rope and ride. The way it should be.

We only use top of the line components. Just to name a few.

-tial turbine housings

-tial wastegates

-tial blow off valve

-Garrett Gtx turbo

We skimp on parts or design just to save a few bucks, or make the design easier.

You skimp on parts!? That's not good!

Just a small grammatical error I'm sure.
Just givin you chit.

Can't wait to see these on the snow!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The mock ups look nice...

What is the reason for routing the Wastegate directly out the side of the sled?

Have you produced turbos for previous year Polaris sleds as production items?

The ecu with all the necessary inputs we have feeding into it auto adjusts from sea level to 13k ft. Just pull the rope and ride. The way it should be.

Factory ECU reflashed? If so...BD to flash? OR... Aftermarket ECU?

Boost levels with this? Adjustable by user?

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Couple more questions:
Seems all the rage in kits the last couple year have direct injection 2 stroke oil running through the turbo eliminating the need for a separate oil box... Saves on production costs, tubing, extra oil, and weight. Especially now where you can tap the ECU and control the electronic oil pump to put out more oil, it seems like a better way to go... Is there a reason you didn't go this route?

Any intercooler plans for those waiting peak performance?

Pauls stuff always runs amazing and is top quality. Cant wait to see how this thing runs!

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
The mock ups look nice...

What is the reason for routing the Wastegate directly out the side of the sled?

Have you produced turbos for previous year Polaris sleds as production items?

Factory ECU reflashed? If so...BD to flash? OR... Aftermarket ECU?

Boost levels with this? Adjustable by user?

Wastegate... clean and reduces bog in deep snow conditions
Impulse ECU
Depending on spring of course, 5 to 14 pounds of adjustable boost, could be increased with a different spring
No kits for earlier years, just Yamahas and Skidoo

Last edited by a moderator:

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Couple more questions:
Seems all the rage in kits the last couple year have direct injection 2 stroke oil running through the turbo eliminating the need for a separate oil box... Saves on production costs, tubing, extra oil, and weight. Especially now where you can tap the ECU and control the electronic oil pump to put out more oil, it seems like a better way to go... Is there a reason you didn't go this route?

Any intercooler plans for those waiting peak performance?

Pauls stuff always runs amazing and is top quality. Cant wait to see how this thing runs!

Paul always monitors charge tube temps and when necessary will add an intercooler. With the Yamis we ran intercoolers and with the Doos we did not up to 12 pounds of boost. He will test, monitor, and add if necessary.

As far as the oil pump goes, I think Paul is willing to sacrifice a little weight to ensure a clean reliable and quality source of lubrication to protect that gorgeous turbo in there.:face-icon-small-win

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i haven't heard much talk about turbo failures running injector pump lube
am i missing something ?

nice looking kit for sure

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some more questions.

Wastegate... clean and reduces bog in deep snow conditions
Impulse ECU
Depending on spring of course, 5 to 14 pounds of adjustable boost, could be increased with a different spring
No kits for earlier years, just Yamahas and Skidoo

Since Impulse is new to many of us here on the Polaris turbo forums... and we are not familiar with your offerings...

Can you tell us more about the Impulse ECU for this platform?

The spring?? In the waste-gate I'm guessing?

How will the ECU deal with an increase in boost... are there re-flashes to be done... or is there a variable map based on boost and other ECU inputs for automatic compensation?

Can you plumb the waste-gate outlet back into the muffler as an option for customers that want lower noise levels?

Will you offer quiet muffler options for your kit?

When do you hope to have the first production kits available for purchase by the public?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
The impulse fueling is a standalone ecu running parallel with the stock ecu. In other words we don't use or manipulate any of the stock electrical components or stock fuel. The only stock input we read is the tps. Impulse inputs to the impulse ecu are: map, baro, tps, coolant temp, air temp, wideband . 6 inputs to the ecu... More inputs to the ecu=more refined crisp tune. And it takes all these inputs to be able to auto correct itself . I can't remember the last time we had any of our sensors fail (with the exception of the wideband sensor so we always carry a spare). However if a senor does fail the impulse ecu has led lights that pinpoint what sensor is the culprit. And if a senor does fail the ecu goes into a safety map so you can ride the rest of the day safely without that sensor.

We dump the wastegate to the atmosphere because that's what is designed to do. By plumbing it back into the exhaust your defeating the whole purpose of a external wastegate which is -reduce back pressure. We run tial turbine housings and tial external wastegates for this reason. Plumbing the wastegate dump increases turbulence in the final exhaust which increases back pressure which is inefficient. Every thing we design is for optimal efficiency. Which leads me to oiling the turbo...

There are some using the injection pump for oiling the turbo. We aren't going that route because #1 our turbo oiling works and we've never lost a turbo because of oiling. #2 Garrett turbos were designed to be fed a small amount of oil fir optimal throttle response. If you feed the turbo oil from the injection pump you have to dead end the turbo oil return. By doing this you will eventually fill the entire center section with oil which again will increase drag on the turbo and decrease throttle response. There is a reason garrett puts on oil resrictors and only requires a small amount of oil. Again, we could save money and time doing it the other way but we won't sacrifice performance to save a few bucks.

Intercooler...As I mentioned before we have a air intake sensor with our ecu. When paul tunes he monitors this sensor. The highest we've seen the intake temps at 10 psi are 110 degrees. That's really good. Now, this was with the skidoo kit but we're expecting similar with the Polaris. If someone wants to run 15 psi or higher then yes you probably need a intercooler.

Good questions, hope this helps.

Also, please contact me via pm or phone below for pricing. We're now taking orders.

We thought a lot about

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
The impulse fueling is a standalone ecu running parallel with the stock ecu. In other words we don't use or manipulate any of the stock electrical components or stock fuel. The only stock input we read is the tps. Impulse inputs to the impulse ecu are: map, baro, tps, coolant temp, air temp, wideband . 6 inputs to the ecu... More inputs to the ecu=more refined crisp tune. And it takes all these inputs to be able to auto correct itself . I can't remember the last time we had any of our sensors fail (with the exception of the wideband sensor so we always carry a spare). However if a senor does fail the impulse ecu has led lights that pinpoint what sensor is the culprit. And if a senor does fail the ecu goes into a safety map so you can ride the rest of the day safely without that sensor.

What about ignition signal? Ignition control? Batch fire or sequential? PnP harness? How does this safety mode work? Goes to predefined value for that sensor or worst case scenario value?

The kit looks nice but I'd like some clarification as ive never seen a piggyback or parallel ecu work as well as a properly tuned ecu. They can certainly work well, but they are always a compromise when reflash/standalone isn't feasible. A reflash/standalone is less complicated, less band aids, and less to go wrong, not to mention more control and everything is done correctly.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
What about ignition signal? Ignition control? Batch fire or sequential? PnP harness? How does this safety mode work? Goes to predefined value for that sensor or worst case scenario value?

The kit looks nice but I'd like some clarification as ive never seen a piggyback or parallel ecu work as well as a properly tuned ecu. They can certainly work well, but they are always a compromise when reflash/standalone isn't feasible. A reflash/standalone is less complicated, less band aids, and less to go wrong, not to mention more control and everything is done correctly.

We do take signal from coils, forgot to mention that. We haven't messed with timing advance at all. We use sequential on injectors. Everything is plug and play, no hacking wires. The safety map is conservative, you can feel when it goes into this map along with the ecu lcds.

Complete standalone obviously is not a feasible cost for 99% of people for the marginal performance you may or may not gain by doing so. Paul has made standalone maps for the 4 stroke world. That's nothing new to us.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

We dump the wastegate to the atmosphere because that's what is designed to do. By plumbing it back into the exhaust your defeating the whole purpose of a external wastegate which is -reduce back pressure. We run tial turbine housings and tial external wastegates for this reason. Plumbing the wastegate dump increases turbulence in the final exhaust which increases back pressure which is inefficient. Every thing we design is for optimal efficiency. Which leads me to oiling the turbo...

There are some using the injection pump for oiling the turbo. We aren't going that route because #1 our turbo oiling works and we've never lost a turbo because of oiling. #2 Garrett turbos were designed to be fed a small amount of oil fir optimal throttle response. If you feed the turbo oil from the injection pump you have to dead end the turbo oil return. By doing this you will eventually fill the entire center section with oil which again will increase drag on the turbo and decrease throttle response. There is a reason garrett puts on oil resrictors and only requires a small amount of oil. Again, we could save money and time doing it the other way but we won't sacrifice performance to save a few bucks.

Intercooler...As I mentioned before we have a air intake sensor with our ecu. When paul tunes he monitors this sensor. The highest we've seen the intake temps at 10 psi are 110 degrees. That's really good. Now, this was with the skidoo kit but we're expecting similar with the Polaris. If someone wants to run 15 psi or higher then yes you probably need a intercooler.

Good questions, hope this helps.

Also, please contact me via pm or phone below for pricing. We're now taking orders.

We thought a lot about

Zeb What elevation and how long of WOT pull was 110 degrees? I have burned up a set of reeds with a couple 30+ second WOT pulls on my sled with the same turbo and air to air intercooler at 9.5psi of boost.
How are you able to keep charge temps that low and consistent when other kits can't? What are you doing different? Is it in the tuning or what? I am interested in your kit but from experience I have a hard time not going with a kit with a water to air interooler for more power, consistency, and reed life, for similar price kits.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
One other question about the atmospheric wastegate dump... If your side hilling on the right side and plug the exhaust in deep snow will the wastegate open up more and kinda act like a deep snow exhaust and let more exhaust out the wastegate, therefore not plugging the exhaust and loosing power in deep snow??

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Up until just a short time ago... the only way to go was a piggyback/auxillary ECU... or a stand-alone new ECU with the cost that went with it.

I, for one, look forward to what the Impulse crew brings our way...

absolutely, but that's not the case anymore, so I certainly think it's fair to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each. It seems like a good system that should work well, but it still has a few drawbacks inherent to the system, so Id have a hard time believing it's the best there is with the other options available now, but I appreciate them clarifying a few things for me.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Zeb What elevation and how long of WOT pull was 110 degrees? I have burned up a set of reeds with a couple 30+ second WOT pulls on my sled with the same turbo and air to air intercooler at 9.5psi of boost.
How are you able to keep charge temps that low and consistent when other kits can't? What are you doing different? Is it in the tuning or what? I am interested in your kit but from experience I have a hard time not going with a kit with a water to air interooler for more power, consistency, and reed life, for similar price kits.

Like I said, I'm just going off experience from the xm. The kits for the Polaris and the doo are very similar so we're hoping for similar results. The 110 deg log was 10 psi 10k ft. A lot of it is the tuning, but again its the complete kit (fueling, design, components etc). And like I said, if your running higher boost (say above 15 psi) a intercooler is appropriate. We're obviously not against intercoolers if they are necessary. We'll be working on getting turbo reeds.

If you price any kit with tial set up (turbine housing, external gate, blow off valve) and add in a water to air intercooler there isn't a kit that I'm aware of that is priced lower than ours. If you are truly interested pm me and I'll shoot you a price.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
One other question about the atmospheric wastegate dump... If your side hilling on the right side and plug the exhaust in deep snow will the wastegate open up more and kinda act like a deep snow exhaust and let more exhaust out the wastegate, therefore not plugging the exhaust and loosing power in deep snow??

Not if your just putting around. But if you go to wot this would help.

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
I'm not a Polaris guy but I'm sure this will be nasty just like my impulse doo and I wouldn't mind throwing a leg over a Polaris with this kit. Can't believe I. Just said that. Impulse rocks

Premium Features