• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rivets in tunnel

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
Are the rivets that connect the front section of the heat exchanger too the tunnel just standard rivets? If not what tool would I need to install the rivets?

thanks

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
They're not normal rivets, but I've also been curious to know how one would replace them if needed. Hopefully someone has an idea of how to do it without bringing the sled to the factory quick:face-icon-small-sho

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
yeh hoping someone can give me some info. I got a damaged tunnel that needs repaired and dont plan on taking it to the dealer thats for sure.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
sometimes ya just have to use stainless machine screws and locknuts...occasionally better then a rivit

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Not sure what the rivets look like, but cat sometimes uses a steel rivet with a steel shank that stays in the rivet(meant to break off at rivet head). You can get these through arctic cat. Look at a parts break down, will give you a part number and see what replacement calls for. If it is these style of rivets, take a punch and knock the center shank out from the head down and then drill out or remove head and punch out. They might have used a wedge style also. Same method to remove. That style if rivets are very strong and are hard in rivet gun jaws

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
Yeh I looked at the parts breakdown, they do look like a different rivet. Hopefully I can use a regular rivet gun on these. Air gun should do the trick if these rivets are very tough.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The way these were explained to me this spring was that they're a piercing rivet, that creates it's own hole. I've got NO idea as to the accuracy of that, which is why I didn't mention it earlier, but I hope there's an easy way to replace them, even if it's with a different type of rivet.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
If they are like polaris's self peircing rivits(I am sure they are), then they weld the aluminum togeather with the rivit as they peirce thru..that said..they are a bear to get out, what I have found to work decently is to grind the head off flat, then use a air hammer with a flat ground point that matches the rivit diameter with a 2"x6"x1/2" flat plate to use as a backer(drill a hole slightly bigger then the rivit body so it can be driven right thru the plate), the plate acts as a backer to keep the air hammer from bending the sheetmetal up..it takes 2 guys and alot of patience..but it works pretty good..to reassemble I would use solid aircraft rivits(they use a airhammer with a special mandrel to drive the rivit, and a steel backer for the rivit to swedge against), again, a 2 person job to do right..but stronger then any pop rivit...

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
awsome, reason I am asking is because I have a damaged tunnel. The rear section is fine minus a few scratches. I also have to replace the coolant system. So I am just trying to figure out what kind of a mess I am getting myself into :face-icon-small-ton probably have the engine out and most of the front end off by tomorrow. So its just about time to order the new tunnel and all the parts i am going to need.

Premium Features