• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Boost on the Pro?

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I find it crazy not many people have ran more boost than 12lbs. I wonder if it is because this chassis is new, and people just have not had time to try things....
I have not decided who's setup I am going to run yet. I had a nice conversation with Justin at Silber turbos and he is pretty confident in his setup. I think those of you who went with his kit have got someone that is more than willing to back them up if there is an issue! That is great to hear and see!
I also talked with Gar at OVS since I know them well and know they have ran 14 + pounds of boost in their sled. They have a really nice setup, and in OVS fashion, they use the best of the best parts. You just have to be willing to pay for them.
It will be interesting to see how this sled holds up this year. I think I am going to keep one of my other turbo sleds as backup for a year just in case though. Still unsure if will actually hold up to the beating it is about to endure......
Are you a rider for one of the popular video productions such as thunderstruck? Let us know which one so we can be sure to keep an eye out for you in the videos. Looking forward to watching the videos from someone that needs and demands that kind of performance. Keep us posted....

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Are you a rider for one of the popular video productions such as thunderstruck? Let us know which one so we can be sure to keep an eye out for you in the videos. Looking forward to watching the videos from someone that needs and demands that kind of performance. Keep us posted....

There are plenty of videos on the market if you just want to check me out....I am not that cute. Whatever floats your boat though.
The demands of 12lbs boost? The guy that posted above you rides with typically around 15lbs........There is some video of him around to. He's better looking also.:lips:

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
This is true to an extent. As you go up in elavation the atmospheric pressure becomes lower "PSIA". Sea level is around 14.2 PSIA where at 5000 ft it is about 12.4 PSIA (depending on weather patterns) so right off the bat you need 2 lbs of boost to get back to sea level just at 5000 ft. As you go up from there it continues to drop and get to about 10.2 PSIA at 10,000 ft (thinner air). So now you need 4 lbs of boost to get back to stock power at sea level. This now means that your turbo has to "cram" that much more air in the motor to make up the difference. So yes "boost is boost" but the pressure you start at is the deciding factor as to how much power you are making at any given elavation. This also explains why as you come down from riding you have to be careful to not over boost your sled as the atmospheric pressure is now increasing from where you had your boost controller set for 12 lbs @ 10,000 ft.

And I don't have an answer for this, but above 10k, approaching 13k it seems to be exponential. Really puts a strain on the turbo. Takes LOTS and LOTS of boost to maintain the HP.

Sam

R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
And I don't have an answer for this, but above 10k, approaching 13k it seems to be exponential. Really puts a strain on the turbo. Takes LOTS and LOTS of boost to maintain the HP.

Sam

This is totally true. The turbo has to work that much harder the higher you go to create the same boost level. The "thinner" the air gets the harder it is to build boost. 13K is pretty high for sure. I bet it is really fun digging out when you get stuck that high up. The old lungs would be burning for sure.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut

Sam

Absolutely!! It's hard to explain that. Most just have to learn it for themselves.
Until then we get smart azz people commenting on why we want more......:frusty:

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
jed... did you not own a 800 cat with a turbo? How much boost you run with that sled? you run 15 psi every day? Silbers kit has secondary injectors sufficant size turbo to run some higher boost o and the same box that ovs runs and others. So you think it can run 15 16 psi day in day out? Your guess is as good as mine. I would bet it would blow up same as a cat running that much boost every day. Will they do it once in a while sure. Im not really sure what your looking for here. Ya OVS did run 14 psi lol and they also lost a crank.

Last edited:
R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
jed... did you not own a 800 cat with a turbo? How much boost you run with that sled? you run 15 psi every day? Silbers kit has secondary injectors sufficant size turbo to run some higher boost o and the same box that ovs runs and others. So you think it can run 15 16 psi day in day out? Your guess is as good as mine. I would bet it would blow up same as a cat running that much boost every day. Will they do it once in a while sure. Im not really sure what your looking for here. Ya OVS did run 14 psi lol and they also lost a crank.

Jed has an M1000 on 10 lbs and it runs great. It did see somwhere in the 18 lb range the year before at fairview and it was a beast. I do however have a M7 that the gage saw 15 lbs quite often last year and it ran awesome all year. There are plenty of cats out there running 12-15 lbs of boost and doing it every day.

Last edited:
J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I think 12psi is perfect for a sled of that weight. It's already the most nimble sled, lightest, and doesn't need higher boost numbers.

If lots of boost is your thing you should be building a yamaha.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Jed has an M1000 on 10 lbs and it runs great. It did see somwhere in the 18 lb range the year before at fairview and it was a beast. I do however have a M7 that the gage saw 15 lbs quite often last year and it ran awesome all year. There are plenty of cats out there running 12-15 lbs of boost and doing it every day.

On average i have seen 9 to 12 psi used the most on two strokes. 14 psi was the most i have seen ridding in the mountains not a (shoot out) So if a guy plans on running more than that day in day out, IMO you looking at blown reeds at the very least if not a motor. You say there is plenty out there ill take your word ive just never seen any.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
On average i have seen 9 to 12 psi used the most on two strokes. 14 psi was the most i have seen ridding in the mountains not a (shoot out) So if a guy plans on running more than that day in day out, IMO you looking at blown reeds at the very least if not a motor. You say there is plenty out there ill take your word ive just never seen any.

You got that turbo installed yet.:face-icon-small-ton

My OVS TM8\Tial turbo-2871, ran 15-17lbs. All the time. No problems. It would make more boost though. That is at 10-13K. My TAPEX, when I had the 2860 on it, ran 19-20lbs. of boost at 13K. That was the maximum boost it would make at that elevation. 8-10K it would pull 22-24lbs. Ridiculous how elevation KILLS a turbo.:face-icon-small-fro Henceforth the BIG turbo on the TAPEX now.

Still waiting on the kits for the Pro Climb so we can take it and the Poo over for the installs. Oh well, that's why we have a few others in the stable.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton

Let me know how that Silber unit works.

Sam

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
No turbo yet buddy.. 10 to 13 k i dont know if i can breath let alone ride. That kind of boost would be making some big power at 4500 to 6 k where i ride! Hope this little sled is going to go good..

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Plenty of M8 turbos running 14-16 for a lot of miles with good life on the reeds and pistons that look new. I was going to do the pro thing this year with the nypex but I want to wait one more year to see how they do at higher boost and also to see how the new cat 800 handles. Should be fun though

R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
Plenty of M8 turbos running 14-16 for a lot of miles with good life on the reeds and pistons that look new. I was going to do the pro thing this year with the nypex but I want to wait one more year to see how they do at higher boost and also to see how the new cat 800 handles. Should be fun though

Yup, I just pulled my reads to put the OVS reed stops on and they looked like new (M1000 reeds) after a full season. I freshened up the top end also this year and the pistons were ok but needed to be replaced, that is after about 1300 or so boosted miles. I really think that people would be suprised how many big boost cats are out there. I figured 15 lbs was just average on an M7-M8.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado

My prediction is the Boosted Pro Climb will make more power, DUH, but the Boosted Poo will still be the boondockers choice. We will find out here soon.

Sam

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I think 12psi is perfect for a sled of that weight. It's already the most nimble sled, lightest, and doesn't need higher boost numbers.

If lots of boost is your thing you should be building a yamaha.

Already own two.:face-icon-small-win

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut

I think Matt already answered your question but I will make a couple notes.
I personally will not run 15lbs all the time. I love to run av gas and hope to run between 12-14lbs, wherever the sled finds it's sweet spot. I will run that bugger higher on select days. I was just looking to see if there was anyone out there running more boost than 12lbs. There really is not many. But it's something I am going to try.

It will be an interesting season this year. Many new sleds out there and LOTS of turbos. By the end of this season I will be able to tell everyone without a doubt if these Pros can handle the boost or not, as I am sure many others will be able to as well.
Here's to happy boosting!:beer;

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I think Matt already answered your question but I will make a couple notes.
I personally will not run 15lbs all the time. I love to run av gas and hope to run between 12-14lbs, wherever the sled finds it's sweet spot. I will run that bugger higher on select days. I was just looking to see if there was anyone out there running more boost than 12lbs. There really is not many. But it's something I am going to try.

It will be an interesting season this year. Many new sleds out there and LOTS of turbos. By the end of this season I will be able to tell everyone without a doubt if these Pros can handle the boost or not, as I am sure many others will be able to as well.
Here's to happy boosting!:beer;

Well you should have ran one last year to be my guinea pig lol.. I will start out a 8 psi and get the fueling perfect and learn the sled and then move up to 12 psi and then keep going from there. But like i said we ride at 4000 feet to 6000 feet at the very most. So i will be making a bit more hp at out elevation rather than the 10000 feet Sam was talking about and hp breaks parts not so much boost. Sled should be in and the kit will be here in about a week and the snow is deeep.

Premium Features