• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

marks in primary clutch ok?

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
We cleaned my buddies clutch the other night for the first time at 400 miles.
Inside we noticed a wear mark. please check the attached pic in the center.
is that normal? it was also worn on the side that slips into that hole...
also on the part of the clutch that has the rollers. there are 3 places where the buttons slide into right. one of the spots had like a washer looking thing at the very bottom but the washer had like a hexagon cut in it. I know my clutch didn't have that in it. is something up with that?

IMG_1062.jpg

S

Skidoo83

Feb 17, 2009
WA
No its not normal it looks like the spring cup is hitting/rubbing. are all the bolts tight on the spring cup to 18lbf/ft? that washer with the hexagon cut in it is for balancing correct me anyone if i am wrong!

D
Oct 13, 2008
It is possible that the cluth bolt was not torqued to proper torque or loosened up. Torque to 89 ft. lbs. rev up to 4000 plus rpm's and lock up brake. Do this 4 or 5 times and retorque. The washer thing is to balance the clutch DO NOT REMOVE IT. Some have them some do not. Doo 83 is also on to something with the spring cup. Check it all out and reinstall.

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Yes that is normal wear and acceptable.
That wear is caused by the primary spring cover bushing starting to wear towards the wear limit.
The wear is done at idle, the parts to not touch as soon as the engine rpm is brought up to engagement.
Also with clutch removed, using a dial indicator check the crank taper runout (deflection) Illustrations

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
What Joe said....and the round discs with the hex hole are pushed in for balancing, some clutches have none, some have 2...leave them in.

Premium Features