• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Other options to BCA link Radio? (Upgrading to HAM/VHF)

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Old tech -- rino 520/530hcx

GPS with FRS/GMRS radio integrated. I recently grabbed a couple more off of EBay. They transmit 0.5w, 2w or 5w per channel... i had some battery packs rebuilt with 18650's for the 5 I have & they work awesome. Way better range than the BCA's in my group at just 2w... last for 2+ days as long as you leave the screen backlight on low and they transmit GPS location to other rino's in the group. I keep it in my chest jacket pocket & leave the end of the lapel mic hanging out... works perfect.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Doesn't look fake to me. Here is the link where you can buy them. $61.54 ea (us $)

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Baof...aofeng-UV9R/32836966332.html?isOrigTitle=true

Some of the site is in a different language which leads me to believe this new radio from Baofeng may not have made it to the USA yet. When it does arrive, i will be getting a set of these. 15 watt would be great!

LOVE the baofeng radios! We use them for ATV riding with speakers in the helmets and push to talk button on the handlebars, and i use it with the shoulder mic for snowmobiling.

Here is the link for the mic.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z4X3MM6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y52OODOYVA3D&colid=3IESDM3G11RFS&psc=0

This mic also works with some Midland and Kenwood, and maybe others that use the 2 pin port.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Doesn't look fake to me. Here is the link where you can buy them. $61.54 ea (us $)

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Baof...aofeng-UV9R/32836966332.html?isOrigTitle=true

Some of the site is in a different language which leads me to believe this new radio from Baofeng may not have made it to the USA yet. When it does arrive, i will be getting a set of these. 15 watt would be great!

LOVE the baofeng radios! We use them for ATV riding with speakers in the helmets and push to talk button on the handlebars, and i use it with the shoulder mic for snowmobiling.

Here is the link for the mic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z4X3MM6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y52OODOYVA3D&colid=3IESDM3G11RFS&psc=0

This mic also works with some Midland and Kenwood, and maybe others that use the 2 pin port.

Yes the ad is fake, subtract 10 watts and you have a uv9-R, I already inquired about this so called 15w radio. My beofeng is 7w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Yes the ad is fake, subtract 10 watts and you have a uv9-R, I already inquired about this so called 15w radio. My beofeng is 7w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you able to order one of these and personally test this radio to confirm it is just 5 watts?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here is the first ad I have seen for one in the USA.

https://www.ebay.com/i/132455361698?chn=ps
Baofeng Waterproof Walkie Talkie Dual Band FM Transceiver 10KM VHF UHF Baofeng C

1 watching in the last 24 hours

$98.21

Free Shipping

• Get it by Wed, Jan 31 - Wed, Feb 21 from Hong Kong, China

• • New condition
  • • Returns accepted - 14 days money back

Walkie Talkie Type: Portable. Frequency Range: VHF

s-l1600.jpg

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Those are just ads, beotech or beofeng is the only info id believe. if there is a uv-9r plus wouldn't it show up on the website? Or the US distributor be aware of a 15w radio. Only a uv-9r which is 5 watts.
http://www.baofengradio.com/enProShowcn.asp?ID=253

I am still curious if your statement that these were only 5 watts was based on you personally purchasing one of these radios and testing the output wattage to confirm that the 15 watt advertised power was not correct? I dont have a way to do this so it would be helpful if you could do the testing and report back your findings on the actual wattage.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I am still curious if your statement that these were only 5 watts was based on you personally purchasing one of these radios and testing the output wattage to confirm that the 15 watt advertised power was not correct? I dont have a way to do this so it would be helpful if you could do the testing and report back your findings on the actual wattage.
Well there are two ways to look at this. 1, you can go with the actual company specs thats listed on their website or 2 you can buy one off the internet and take a chance you are getting what you paid for. The radio may of been boosted up by a radio tuner, who knows. Ill stick to what I was told when I wanted to buy one. If a 15 watt uv-9R plus does show up on the market, im sure my supplier will let me know. Until than I will enjoy my 7w radio with the high gain antenna. Its pretty cool that guys in Sicamous that rode with me the previous day could hear me no prob when I was in frisby Ridge in Revelstoke.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Do theses Beofeng radios use the privacy channels like the GMRS radios do?

The Baofeng uv5r can be used as an FRS/GMRS radio. You just go into frequency mode and put in the frequency for the channel you want. The privacy channel can also be selected by using the right frequency for submit and receive on the R-CTCS and T-CTCS settings in the menu.

I don't know why this new Baofeng wouldn't do the same thing.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Baofeng uv5r can be used as an FRS/GMRS radio. You just go into frequency mode and put in the frequency for the channel you want. The privacy channel can also be selected by using the right frequency for submit and receive on the R-CTCS and T-CTCS settings in the menu.

I don't know why this new Baofeng wouldn't do the same thing.

its entirely possible then.
I have never tried using one of mine for anything other than normal 2 meter comms

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
These are a dual watch radio, My supplier programmed in the factory BCA channels from A to F. The vhf/uhf side of the radio he programmed the BC forestry road channels and the channels the truck drivers use.
You can program in the privacy channels if your group has a favorite channel.
The BCA is only a .5w to 1w depending on the channel being used.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Power really means nothing if you dont have a good antenna, I have a very long antanna, and for foresty road use I recommend a roof mount antenna for extra security.

ABSOLUTELY!
For back country sled use I would absolutely REPLACE THE STOCK ANTENNA.

Would be cool if we could find a TUNED soft antenna that we could wrap around the Avy Bag in a semi-permanent configuration and place the radio inside the bag with only a nice little mic/speaker coming up and over the shoulder like the BCA does.

Having 15watts on a 1/4 wave antenna would be HUGE in the mountains!

perhaps something like this??

2m-slim-jim.jpg

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
ABSOLUTELY!
For back country sled use I would absolutely REPLACE THE STOCK ANTENNA.

Would be cool if we could find a TUNED soft antenna that we could wrap around the Avy Bag in a semi-permanent configuration and place the radio inside the bag with only a nice little mic/speaker coming up and over the shoulder like the BCA does.

Having 15watts on a 1/4 wave antenna would be HUGE in the mountains!

perhaps something like this??

2m-slim-jim.jpg
I wonder if that would work. My antenna sticks out about two inches out of my avy pack, and the radio is in the bottom of my pack. So its about 15 inches long, like the one in the background in your pic.

Premium Features