• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Koso temp gauge

Nov 13, 2008
Looking at buying the koso super slim model gauge but can't figure out if the sensor is pipe thread or something else. Anyone got one and remember what it was?

Last edited:
W
Looking at buying the koso super slim model gauge but can't figure out if the sensor is pipe thread or something else. Anyone got one and remember what it was?

It looks like 1/8 NPT (which is 1/8-27) but it's actually "British Standard Pipe Thread"... 1/8 BSPP-28. Same with the Trail tech sensor. All Thermo-Bobs have this thread rate tapped in a separate boss on the housing.

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
NPT and BSPT have a taper to thread pitch, 60 deg. and 55 deg. respectively.
BSPP British Standard Parallel Pipe has no taper and relies on a seal / crush washer.
I just got my TB3 and Watt-Mann suggested sealing temp sensor fitting with teflon tape or teflon pipe dope. While that probably would work I'd suggest trying to utilize copper crush washer. I would think that the temp sensors should come with the appropriate one.
The only problem is see is that theTrail Tech RTD Resistance Temperature Detector tip is longer than the koso and the well on the TB3 might not be deep enough to bottom the RTD and make a seal with the crush washer.
All that aside the TB3 is a really nice looking unit and I cant wait to get it installed.

W
I just got my TB3 and Watt-Man suggested sealing temp sensor fitting with teflon tape or teflon pipe dope. While that probably would work I'd suggest trying to utilize copper crush washer. I would think that the temp sensors should come with the appropriate one.

The land on the temp sensors is very small, the crush washer would have to be "just the right one" dimensionally. Since the temp sensors use two wires, there's no need for a separate ground so the teflon tape / sealant seems to work best.

The only problem is see is that theTrail Tech RTD Resistance Temperature Detector tip is longer than the koso and the well on the TB3 might not be deep enough to bottom the RTD and make a seal with the crush washer.

No problem at all. We evaluated both sensor lengths before designing the port location. We've placed it tangentially to the passage, so either length will be immersed in coolant, and will not bottom out and prevent installation. In the attached photo, the red sensor is the KOSO and the brass is the Trail Tech.

All that aside the TB3 is a really nice looking unit and I cant wait to get it installed.
Awesome!

Attachments

• Sensors Inside s.jpg
    Sensors Inside s.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Premium Features