• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What exhaust for yamaha

Nov 13, 2008
What is everyone running. I have a '13 wr450 running a '14 st and I'm looking for advise on exhaust. Reading mx mags looks like most pipes focus on producing mid range "out of the corner" power. For the snow bike I'm thinking you are more concerned with more top end and more over rev power. The stock head pipe on the wr is already a mega bomb type header and the pipe diameter is very large. Looking for advise on slip on or full system and what brand makes the most top end. Thanks

FYI exhaust systems from 07-09 and I think 06 as we'll fit this bike perfectly so their are tons of choices out there.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Lexx is good, very customizable with tips. Stock 06 or 07 yz450f pipe is best bang for buck though . the 07 is quieter but slightly less power, 06 pipe is most power stock pipe of any yz that era. 08-09 are constructed with metal cones inside that you can cut out and make good power with, people tend to give them away.. Bit on the loud side after cutting cones out though. I have a stock 07 pipe with a PMB spark arrestor end cap, so I don't catch the snow on fire. I'd leave your head pipe on and look for an a YZ450 06-07 can.

Have you advanced your cams to YZ timing???

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2008
I haven't done anything with the cams yet. To be honest I wasn't sure if the 12 and up wr's had different cam timing. I'll look into it. I hope it needs the cam timing set to yz spec cause when I had a yfz450 back in 04 I changed cam timing to yz spec and it made that machine an animal.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm running an FMF power core 4 hex on my 2012 with stock header and it made a noticeable power difference.
Also running the FMF map which seems to have given it more power up top, the stock exhaust with the race map fell on its face in the high RPM's.

Premium Features