• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo 09 D8

I
Dec 15, 2007
So I have tossed the idea around of Turbo for my sled for quite some time,

Is there anyone that could give me the basic Pro's and Con's example (like always fixing haha) Pump gas or Race gas? anyone that has got it done and there experience with it.. Really thinking about having this done..

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
second that! BD pump gas turbo on mine... turned it up and ran race gas most of the season last year. Ear to ear smile all winter long with zero issues. literally install and forget system. works better for boondocking, way better for tree riding and the extra power is a plus for the big climbs too! Justin at Code red is the best guy to deal with SNOWJW here on the forums. he will take care of you

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I second Drape and Kinzer's sentements and also got my kit from Justin @ Code Red, I highly reccomend him.

The only time I've noticed lag is when I start pushing the PSI up on it to the 12-14 lb range and have to add more race fuel to it. I ride mostly from 10K and up so more race fuel is somewhat of a bottom end killer at those types of elevation. So it's not necessarily "lag" it's a little of that and a performance loss on the bottom end due to the fuel. But if I stick to around 10 lbs and mix 50/50 There's nearly no lag whatsoever.

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
Any of you guys running the intercooler? I'm really on the fence with this, I don't really want to run one, but I don't wanna wish I got one down the road either.

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i dont run an intercooler... dont want the extra lag. there is lag yes, but after 10 minutes of riding the sled you are so used to it that you dont even realize that its there. boost levels below 10lbs you dont really notice it as much but once you get over the 12lb mark there is a little more, but when it comes on to boost it is more than worth it!

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I'm running the mini intercooler with the fan on it and have no regrets either. runs great and I don't notice any additional lag but the guys that run without it may, I know Jeremy has illuded to it before that he's ridden both so it's probably there and I just don't notice. I went with it because I was fully planning on running higher boost levels from time to time and I figured it would be a good upgrade for that purpose.

I am doing a few hood mods to mine this year via a BR Tech Thrasher hood to get more airflow to it as well as the intake to get the temps even lower and further avoid heat soak. I'll report what I find with it.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I run a Aerocharger 66 race gas kit on mine and LOVE it!! No issues at all. Don't have an intercooler either. Any turbo will have "lag"...there is no way around it (in my opinion) due to the mechanics of how a turbo produces boost.

My experience is this....I have ridden both the BD pump gas (running 7.5 lbs) and my Aero race gas ( running 12 lbs) on the same day and in the same conditions. This was at 8400 ft elevation. I would have to say the "lag" is identical on both sleds due to the Aero turbo spooling faster. There was a big difference in power though, with the race gas setup having alot more. I would estimate the lag at 1 second. Once you ride it a while you dont even notice it at all.

Now if you want to experience "no lag"....ride a Carls big bore 860 sled. I rode all 3 on the same day. Both turbo setups had huge lag compared to that, as throttle response was instant on the 860.

As far as people to deal with on here... I have heard good about Code Red and Boondockers as well. Due to my personal experience, I would recommend Silber Turbos for the Garret setup and Turbo Doc or FasTrax Motorsports for the Aero setup. My personal experience with all of them has been outstanding! The only one i personally stay away from is HM Turbos due to a bad experience.

Thats my 2 cents worth....hope it helps.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I see that "SPUDMAN" just gave me a bad rating for my post (above).
So....Spudman....the reason for that would be....????

Premium Features