• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha one vs 850 axys?

M
Nov 29, 2007
Goodrich, ND
Has anyone had a chance to have their Alpha out with a new Axys? I’m curious how they stack up against one another. I have a new axys in the garage, but my life oval sealer just picked up a few alpha’s and i’m thinking of pulling the trigger on one. I’d love to hear what you guys think! No bashing please.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Has anyone had a chance to have their Alpha out with a new Axys? I’m curious how they stack up against one another. I have a new axys in the garage, but my life oval sealer just picked up a few alpha’s and i’m thinking of pulling the trigger on one. I’d love to hear what you guys think! No bashing please.

What's a life oval sealer? (asking for a friend)

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I have no experience with either of them, but just going off the reviews on here it's looking promising for the alpha. The alpha reviews are all raving about it, while over in the poo section there seems to be a lot of disappointment with the 850.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I have no experience with either of them, but just going off the reviews on here it's looking promising for the alpha. The alpha reviews are all raving about it, while over in the poo section there seems to be a lot of disappointment with the 850.

You have to keep in mind that the poo folk are comparing the new 850 to the 800 axy, which really is an awesome sled to start with. The expectations of the extra 40cc might be a little high.
The bar in Cat camp was fairly low, they had no where to go but up and it sounds like the Alpha did in fact raise it!! IMHO

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The bar in Cat camp was fairly low, they had no where to go but up and it sounds like the Alpha did in fact raise it!! IMHO

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No really, hahahahahahahahaha.
The mtn cat pulled a few Poo heads over to cat...........

I wouldn't say cat camp bar was low.. lol

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
You have to keep in mind that the poo folk are comparing the new 850 to the 800 axy, which really is an awesome sled to start with. The expectations of the extra 40cc might be a little high.

seems like cat was able to jump the Polaris's over high set bar with ease.....:face-icon-small-sho:rose::face-icon-small-ton now if Polaris can jump cat's durability bar that would be a amazing.

Last edited:

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No really, hahahahahahahahaha.
The mtn cat pulled a few Poo heads over to cat...........

I wouldn't say cat camp bar was low.. lol

Figured you boys would find a little humour in that. Sure cat has a great engine, there trouble is getting the power to the track. There are very few cats in our group/area and we've had more cat rescue missions than doo or poo put together in the last 3-4 years. Mostly chain case and secondary pile ups, one cat motor only.
There are only two die hard cat riders left in our 3-4 groups we ride with, both on new 2018 cats last year and towed both of them out, one blown chain case the other was drive axle. But they sure ran great ?.
Also I know they are mountain sleds but there trail manners were atrocious up to the 2018. Dartin bastages.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
850 gen 4 is an awesome sled. Great power, easy steering, track works awesome. They don't trench or drag in snow like the xm. Way better balanced. No more skidoo stuff with the front end. Shot is awesome. Ride lighter than any of them and are quicker handling. Their only problem is you have to work the bars a lot more to keep them going where you want. Whether it's all t motion or some of it is in the front end I don't know.

850 axys, I'm guessing, is just a better or easier handling 800 with a little more power and hopefully better reliability. If that's the case they will be flat out awesome because the axys was already a great sled.

Alpha. If it is a cross between those two it will be awesome. I am hoping for quick handling and ease of riding like the gen 4 with the precision, in the trees, like the axys. I already know it will have more traction because cat had the best track out there and I already know what the 3.5 pitch did for the doo. If it accomplishes that it will be awesome. I am hearing they are quicker and easier handling than the gen 4 and also out climbing with less power. I already know they don't have the downfalls of t motion because I rode one last year. This is not a gimmick this is unreal.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Figured you boys would find a little humour in that. Sure cat has a great engine, there trouble is getting the power to the track. There are very few cats in our group/area and we've had more cat rescue missions than doo or poo put together in the last 3-4 years. Mostly chain case and secondary pile ups, one cat motor only.
There are only two die hard cat riders left in our 3-4 groups we ride with, both on new 2018 cats last year and towed both of them out, one blown chain case the other was drive axle. But they sure ran great .
Also I know they are mountain sleds but there trail manners were atrocious up to the 2018. Dartin bastages.
We both know the 2018 cat chain case broke from an impact, i wouldn't blame the manufacturer for that....
Drive shaft.... i would like more info on this. Could u please elaborate?

Power to the track!?
Since 2016, i believe cat(team) is the leader in clutches (we all know 2012-2015 were bad) since the dropped case with 8 tooth drivers, cat with the least powerful 800cc engines has been dominating power to the ground.

Darting..... put Polaris skis on the Cat and cured. That is definitely a manufacturer issue, although easily curable..

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I agree summ8. I feel like the 12 proclimb hurt cat but every year since they have been improving on that chassis to the point that cat is as good if not better then the other two manufacturers. And they are tough as nails which in the back country is very important to me.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
We both know the 2018 cat chain case broke from an impact, i wouldn't blame the manufacturer for that....
Drive shaft.... i would like more info on this. Could u please elaborate?

Power to the track!?
Since 2016, i believe cat(team) is the leader in clutches (we all know 2012-2015 were bad) since the dropped case with 8 tooth drivers, cat with the least powerful 800cc engines has been dominating power to the ground.

Darting..... put Polaris skis on the Cat and cured. That is definitely a manufacturer issue, although easily curable..

It was the drive axle and that was impact for sure. The chain case was on a landing, but same landing the doo's and belt drive poo's were doing..

Pretty much everything is curable... ;)

Pretty much everything is curable. ;)

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
If I had to choose, Alpha for sure. The hype surrounding the 850 has been hilarious, just as it was when Doo tried it. The power differences stock to stock especially above 10,000 feet are minimal. Polaris had to do something though, those Poo 800s are time bombs, hopefully the 840/850 cures that.

I also think the Axys chassis is awesome. The light weight is something they should all continue to strive for. I loved my Axys but the quality and reliability was horrible.

I can't stand the roly poly Doo handling and crap ergonomics for mtn riding. Until they ditch the gimmicks like flex edge and t-motion and update that skid, I am not interested in any amount of extra power they might offer.

I really like my Mtn Cat. Great power, great handling, best track in the biz, best shock package on a stock sled. I would definitely go Alpha, and probably will next season. I wish they were 20 lbs lighter and the upper bodywork was tighter like the Axys but otherwise I think Cat has made huge strides every year since the '16 update.

I actually have more confidence in my MC than I had boondocking my Axys. It is a little more effort due to weight but very very capable. My money remains with Cat for now.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Just sold my 850 doo simply because I had enough with doo trying to put bandaids on their sleds to make them work ! 3 years and they are still working on their clutches to make them work ! It’s gonna be a alpha one, mountain cat or sidewinder for me !

Premium Features