• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High idle after riding

M
Oct 26, 2018
I have a 2018 ER and have 7xx miles on it. After riding hard for 10-15 minutes i will come to a stop and wait for the engine to idle down to 18xx rpm before shutting it off. Lately its been staying at 23xx to 24xx and won't idle down. Stock other than hps can and 2 degree timing key. Any suggestions?

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
I have the same problem with my 2018 HC 8000 except it will never idle down to 1800+-. Does yours also bog if you are blipping the throttle? Mine is at the dealer right now for this issue. Feels like it is running really fat. Hopefully someone knows. I will let you know if my dealer figures it out. My throttle cable is not tight so it is not that.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
High idle is a lean condition my 19th doing the same thing hangs at 2400 for 30 to 45 seconds

M
Oct 26, 2018
I have the same problem with my 2018 HC 8000 except it will never idle down to 1800+-. Does yours also bog if you are blipping the throttle? Mine is at the dealer right now for this issue. Feels like it is running really fat. Hopefully someone knows. I will let you know if my dealer figures it out. My throttle cable is not tight so it is not that.

Mine doesn't have a bog at all. Just the idle won't calm down. Let me know what you find out. TIA

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
High idle is from lean condition.

Try spraying starting fluid around the intake, crank seal and cylinder bases to see if the idle increases. If it does, you have a leak in that area.

Also check the obvious...throttle cable and make sure the throttle linkage at the intake is allowing for a full return

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the zukes idles high after hard powder riding. never bothered me, figured its compensating for something. but if it did all the time that'd be another thing

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Ok so I think the high idle is part of the break in. I now have 60 miles on a 19 with silber and it doesn't do it any more. are all you guys under 40 miles?

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Did you ever get this figured out? Mine started doing the same stats at 22 to 25. Dealer is scratching their head. Hes trying to figure it out but so far unsuccessful

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
Did you ever get this figured out? Mine started doing the same stats at 22 to 25. Dealer is scratching their head. Hes trying to figure it out but so far unsuccessful

Supposedly arctic cat has just finished the reflash for the 2018 to address the flame throwing and they believe it will fix my idle problem. Was told they just started flashing this week and my ecu has been at AC for a little over a week. Might have it back today. We will see. I will update when I can try it.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
While high idle can be caused from a lean condition it can also be from a rich condition. If the crankcase has excesses fuel it takes a few minutes to burn it off, not uncommon with A/C engines of old. The C-Tec is no different mechanically and with the re-flash I am betting your problems go away. That is why I always let my idle normalize before shutting down. Saves a lot of pulling on a flooded engine.

fharrison

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2009
While high idle can be caused from a lean condition it can also be from a rich condition. If the crankcase has excesses fuel it takes a few minutes to burn it off, not uncommon with A/C engines of old. The C-Tec is no different mechanically and with the re-flash I am betting your problems go away. That is why I always let my idle normalize before shutting down. Saves a lot of pulling on a flooded engine.

That is what I think it is. My idle will just never go down from 2200. It could just be dumping fuel and never allowing the idle to go down.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
That is what I think it is. My idle will just never go down from 2200. It could just be dumping fuel and never allowing the idle to go down.

If will be interesting to see if the reflash cures the issue. If not you may have a stuck injector or leaking reed valve etc,something out of the ordinary.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
over 8 hours on the new ctec2 800, after the break in limted out, when I come off of a full throttle run, and let it idle down for 60-120 seconds, it flames out, popping, like you poured gas on a fire (whoof, wump wump). sled runs great, very happy other than that. not sure if I will let cat re-flash it, or send it for the precision tune flash through racin station. Ski

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Not to be argumentative, but I have never witnessed a motor idle higher when I go richer on the pilot circuit. I have turned a lot of pilot and air screws and have always seen Rs come down with a rich condition.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Not to be argumentative, but I have never witnessed a motor idle higher when I go richer on the pilot circuit. I have turned a lot of pilot and air screws and have always seen Rs come down with a rich condition.

That may be the case but I have seen them runaway with excess fuel in the crankcase. After a wide open pull my sled takes 15 or so seconds for the idle to normalize. I don't believe that is from a lean condition.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
On the Zuke, if u shut it down right after some hard pulls while it is still idling high. It will likely backfire when u start it. I'm no genius but pretty sure a lean engine won't do that......

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
2019 Alpha

The first 100 miles in Colorado 11000-12000 feet no issues normal idle or return to idle (1800 rpm) fairly quickly
This past week Northern Ontario 0-3000 feet, snow covered trail sled started showing signs of a higher idle after coming down from working it harder. hangs at 2200-2400 rpm for 30 sec- 1 min then idles down to 1800-1900 rpm
I now have 300 miles on it. I attribute it to break in.
more to come

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
have close to 400 miles, over 15 hours, sled still flaming, dealer says cat doesn't have anything, other than blipping the throttle when stopped to burn extra fuel. with the staining on the snow I am noticing at idle, even for a short period, I am wondering if the oiler is over oiling, and that is causing the flames to last longer and melting some peoples plastics. just an annoyance really. they (Textron/cat) should fix it, and soon. this motor has been on the snow for several years, and full production for 2, it should have been already addressed. Ski

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I have silbers turbo on my 18. Idles at 22 to 24, when riding 27 to 28. Took the turbo off idle went down. Put the turbo back on idle went up. It's a silber issue for sure. No doubts in my mind anymore.

Premium Features