• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I really want to buy a snowmobile but...

P
Dec 15, 2018
I am going nutty to buy a sled but i have some real concerns. Here is what i want to do- i want to cruise around and camp and ski. I am not young enough to do back flips. I want to cruise but i live in Montana and where we hunt and hike i doubt there are " groomed "trails but forest service roads go on forevet. So i need to haul up over night gear AND i need to shuttle my family! I know from reading that there is no such thing as a cross over and 2 up sleds are to heavy for powder so...whats a guy do? I cant buy 2 or 3 sleds or i will be living in my truck . I think i can find enough cruisy roads to access fun camping and hike skiing to last a life time but i dont know if a road with lots of snow is any differeny than powder off trail? My wife WILL NOT LIKE going raped ape and sideways! Ive read that a m8 will go slow with out over heating? Iam in bozeman and there are dozens for sale from 1977 to 2019 from free to 14k. I am going to rent one to go to a cabin in a month and thatl probably help but now that iam looking id like to understand some things. Ok- is the track length about riders size or intended use? Most used machines have between 2k and 4k miles. How many is alot and how many miles do they live? Iam old enough to know how to decied a good sellet and a bad but when i see videos of these guys riding i wouldnt think they would last more than a season lol. There are so many rmk s around here they must work good for our area but bad to cruise roads? Any one doing tbis kinda riding? Any ideas ? Any advice? Some say snowmobiles are just like chevy vs ford? Well i want a chevy lol. Thanks charlie from bozeman

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
If you are buying new any of the current crop of mountain sleds are fine right out of the box. If you’re buying used in the $3-5k range I’d be looking for an M8.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Crossover sleds.
Polaris SKS
Arctic Cat crossfire
Skidoo renegade
These are all longer track trail sleds.
They should be fine for what u want to do.
I would look at Yamaha if u want to ride mostly trails and tow stuff.
Maybe a phazer(this century not 90's)

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok thanks! Well no new but i may buy used from a dealet. I searched all those cross over models with not much luck here? I think this area is marketed towards mountain sleds cause rarley do i see a 2up or work sled and i only got 3 results from the list ? But i can keep looking. I will spen 4500 5500 if its best but of course why not save. I bet well go 5 or 6 times and maybe 7 or 8 times with friends. I found a few tamahas for good prices used xtr and nytro i think. They always have 3500-4k ÷ miles thkugh? Srveral m8s and m8000 s but they are either newish or late 2000's. Hmm...wish you guys where here to help lol. Thanks!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If you are driving slow ....dragging gear, cargo, possibly towing or riding 2up....skip the mountain sleds. They don't have 2-up friendly seat, they don't like to go slow....you and the sled will hate life trying to use a liquid cooled 800 for that application.

Look for something like a Polaris Voyageur 550 155" ... or a Ski Doo Tundra/Skandic...Arctic Cat Bearcat. Yes they are heavy, no they're not awesome in deep powder off-trail riding....no there is not a machine that does it all, particularly on a budget. Don't get hung up on brand....buy the newest one, with the least miles, in the best condition you can find. Condition almost always trumps the other 2 IMO. Something well taken care of is always preferable to something beat with less miles.

An ATV with tracks might be another option to explore if winter camping and passengers are high on the list. If you have summer use for that unit as well, maybe that helps with the budget? Just a thought.

P
Dec 15, 2018
If you are driving slow ....dragging gear, cargo, possibly towing or riding 2up....skip the mountain sleds. They don't have 2-up friendly seat, they don't like to go slow....you and the sled will hate life trying to use a liquid cooled 800 for that application.

Look for something like a Polaris Voyageur 550 155" ... or a Ski Doo Tundra/Skandic...Arctic Cat Bearcat. Yes they are heavy, no they're not awesome in deep powder off-trail riding....no there is not a machine that does it all, particularly on a budget. Don't get hung up on brand....buy the newest one, with the least miles, in the best condition you can find. Condition almost always trumps the other 2 IMO. Something well taken care of is always preferable to something beat with less miles.

An ATV with tracks might be another option to explore if winter camping and passengers are high on the list. If you have summer use for that unit as well, maybe that helps with the budget? Just a thought.

Ok but let ne ask you a couple of dumb questions. What happens with the utility sleds when if even on a road/trail the snows deep? And can they go off trail a little to lets say get off a road in a meadow or clearing to set up camp? I like the idea of a 2 up but so many opinions about how they are un auited to our local environment. We are down the road from yellowstone and those are for sale from rental fleets in the 3500 to 5500 range. Thanks charlie and i have a 4 wheeler but i dunno about putting tracks on it? Would be cool to have a side by side all tricked out but cant inagine it would work out well? So maybe for now ill say no to that. If i buy sonething cheapish i can even if i sell for loss it wont be that bad.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
If you want to tow (people and gear) find a used non turbo Yamaha Apex. Comes with a 162" x 16" track, room for 2 up and the sled/motor will outlast you. Yes they are heavy but not as heavy(or any heavier) than a Tundra or whatever. And they will handle powder better than any utility/cross over sled. And it will go places a s x s can't . And for a lot less money.

P
Dec 15, 2018
If you want to tow (people and gear) find a used non turbo Yamaha Apex. Comes with a 162" x 16" track, room for 2 up and the sled/motor will outlast you. Yes they are heavy but not as heavy(or any heavier) than a Tundra or whatever. And they will handle powder better than any utility/cross over sled. And it will go places a s x s can't . And for a lot less money.

Any year models youd recomend? Found a 2005 for cheap with 2k miles? For some reason around here yamahas are allways 2 or 3 k less or nore. There are nytros and rx1s also under 3k with 3 to 4 k miles? Ive bought exspensive stuff that didnt pan out and ive drug hone junk yhat worked out great so maybe ill buy the apex cause for 2500 it wouldnt be a bad loss or maybe a easy to fix project? Ive restored antique harleys for a living and i have a 49 ford project and 65 c10 project going so i know a little about some of the pitfalls and expense. I can weld and fabricate but i dont want a motor project really.
https://helena.craigslist.org/snw/d/2005-yamaha-apex/6748562145.html

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ok but let ne ask you a couple of dumb questions. What happens with the utility sleds when if even on a road/trail the snows deep? And can they go off trail a little to lets say get off a road in a meadow or clearing to set up camp?

Sure, you just have to spend some time and figure out what it can/can't do. The Apex is a good idea as well.

Nytro....the motor will last forever, but we haven't had the best luck with used Nytros from a general dependability standpoint. They are a a strange beast.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Any year models youd recomend? Found a 2005 for cheap with 2k miles? For some reason around here yamahas are allways 2 or 3 k less or nore. There are nytros and rx1s also under 3k with 3 to 4 k miles? Ive bought exspensive stuff that didnt pan out and ive drug hone junk yhat worked out great so maybe ill buy the apex cause for 2500 it wouldnt be a bad loss or maybe a easy to fix project? Ive restored antique harleys for a living and i have a 49 ford project and 65 c10 project going so i know a little about some of the pitfalls and expense. I can weld and fabricate but i dont want a motor project really.
https://helena.craigslist.org/snw/d/2005-yamaha-apex/6748562145.html
I'd go 07 or newer if you can find one. They are fuel injected. And don't worry about motor work. The motors last for thousands of miles boosted so that's not an issue. The only thing is change oil once a year and check the chain tension every couple of rides. They don't even burn belts so that's not a consideration.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
2006 was the first year of the Apex mountain sled, its fuel injected. The Apex would be a great sled for what you want to do. You should be able to find one cheap, just dont buy one that has a turbo or super charger added to it, you dont need the extra hp or headaches.
They start easy, will do good going slow, are easy to drive ( even your wife) and will still do pretty good off trail, or in deep snow on a road.
Some came with reverse, that would be a good option for you.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok thanks for all thr replies everyone , very kind of you! I put an email out to him and we shall see. Craigslist is a mixed blessing for sure. Ive messed with cars and harleys but never a snowmobile and after researching i have a small understanding but any advice on specific things to look for when checking a used sled? Ive never been a tire kicker and when i sell stuff its allways a bit annoying when a guy does a leak diwn test on a old engine then complains. I get it and exspect to be replacing "soft" partd or hard wear patts but i dunno if i could tell if a frame was tweeked or a rear suspension was wrong ect? Ill keep googling but if you know some typical things as to this model that would great. Thanks again charlie

P
Dec 15, 2018
I talked to owner and only red flag besides it's sat for awhile is that the reverse was a kit he installed. Now ive built a few transmissions and i now hire them out. How much should i worry about this? Only other thing is the track needs replaced but i assume that means while its off i should do hyfax and little wheel things and bushings bearings who knows lol? Thanks charlie

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Installing the reverse himself shouldn't be an issue. It's cable actuated so it works or it doesn't. Just make sure it's fully engaged/dis engaged before giving it some throttle. You should hear it click. And again, check the drive chain tension regularly.
If it sat for an extended period then an oil/filter change is a must. Also chain case lube. If it starts and the clutches engage you should be good to go.
Like you said, check the hyfax and bearings when you change the track. Is it torn or just missing a lug or two. If it's a lug or two don't worry about it.
Also ask if it's ever been turboed/supercharged.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The old(er) Yamaha 4 strokes are a good bang for the buck especially for your intended use.
The reason they are cheap compared to others is not because they are unreliable. They are just a fair amount heavier than their counterparts and thus not very popular with powder/Mountian riding folks.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok...well...not to beat a dead horse but a apex is sort of a crossover right? I mean its original marketing has different models for trail, rough trail and mountains? Or am i off here? I talked to a friend today who bought a touring style sled last year and he said he was really disappointed in it and its just stuck all the time no matter where they go if its not groomed. An apex is not a touring sled though right? I keep finding nice m8s for good prices too. But the deal with a 2 stroke is they hate going slow and dont carry stuff well right? I emailed the owner of the apex to see if hed take it to the dealer and i would pay for a thorough look through but havent heard back. When i was younger i worked on a cabin in the winter up near west yellowstone and i had to take a snowmobile with a big sled to haul stuff up a 10 mile or so road to the cabin and it sucked being stuck the whole time or just being wide open to keep going. But that was in the 80s lol! Hmmm...i dunno whats best honestly! Maybe i should buy two different kinds!!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Dude, rent, rent, rent. Rent some 2-up 4 stroke ski-doos, or whatever the local shops in Bozeman have. Ride them for a weekend and then decide what you want to buy.

You'll learn soooo much, just by renting sleds for a weekend. You may find that it's not at all how you dreamed it would be or you may realize you want more of a performance sled. Renting first will be your cheapest option, by far.

P
Dec 15, 2018
My experience tells me that your story ends better with 2 sleds and not just one.

Pack snow shoes and overnight gear otherwise.

Ha! Well my wife is a 6x former national boxing champion and is the biggest wuss puss you ever meet when it comes to stuff! She said she was scared to ride one by herself and She said and i quote, " i just really dont want to be a skidoo couple with ugly jackets and a trailor" ha ha so funny! I used to drag race, she hated it. Then i had a dirt track car, she hated it. Maybe i should hire a snowcoach and just sight see yellowstone lol! But basically your saying its not safe to have one sled due to unforeseen break downs? Are snowmobiles just really fussy ?

Premium Features