• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha1 - No Fuel Not Starting

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Did it cut out while riding or, after shutting sled off it wouldn't come back on?

Have u tried hooking a battery to the pump and ride it out that way?

It started hesitating while riding which is a first. Then at the end of the day my buddy who was riding it got stuck during a climb and just wouldn't start. Couldn't get fuel to tho motor. I could get it to sputter but it wouldn't stay running.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I'm sure fuel pumps do go but iv'e had good luck m7 13000kms 09 m8 10000kms
14 m8000 6000kms 18 Ascender 2400kms never had any fuel pump problems or any other major problems.
From what i have seen and read, the pumps are fairly new when they fail, not a 'worn' failure but poor QC at manufacturing. I have over 8k mi. On 5 Cats, without a fuel pump issue but i have seen it first hand.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It started hesitating while riding which is a first. Then at the end of the day my buddy who was riding it got stuck during a climb and just wouldn't start. Couldn't get fuel to tho motor. I could get it to sputter but it wouldn't stay running.
How many hrs/miles on the sled?
I wonder if the oil pump is getting power?
I have Seen one Ctec 800 failure due to electrical issues and oil pump not working.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I know the trick- And it does happen every year but its not 1 of every 5 like the yahoo stated.

Yahoo? More like I know how how to read.

consider how many people in this thread have said fuel pump. You know may not know everything. it's an issue.

Good for you that it's not for the ones you own. Do yourself a favor and search 'won't start' in the broad Arctic cat forum.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
How many hrs/miles on the sled?
I wonder if the oil pump is getting power?
I have Seen one Ctec 800 failure due to electrical issues and oil pump not working.

1600ish now but it's done it ever since new just with way more frequency the last few times I've had it out. Pull the tether while reved and it won't start. Sputter after starting and heat soaking and then cutting off, won't start. Let it sit out in cold overnight, won't start.

It's never done this though, when adding gas to the cylinder gets it running it usually stays running. Now it won't. Plugs are chalky so it looks like it wasn't getting fuel.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
1600ish now but it's done it ever since new just with way more frequency the last few times I've had it out. Pull the tether while reved and it won't start. Sputter after starting and heat soaking and then cutting off, won't start. Let it sit out in cold overnight, won't start.

It's never done this though, when adding gas to the cylinder gets it running it usually stays running. Now it won't. Plugs are chalky so it looks like it wasn't getting fuel.
This is an '18, correct?
Have u received the wire harness update?could be wires shorting?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
This is an '18, correct?
Have u received the wire harness update?could be wires shorting?

No this is a 16. Do you know if they changed the pumps with the ascenders? Bummed to see any of the c-techs with the same issue. I was hoping those days were done for AC.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Not sure about the pump manufacturer but '18/'19 still have pump issues.

I might crack this thing open and see what they're using if no one else knows. There's gotta be a better electric fuel pump out there.

Curious if you could retrofit something in there. These are 12v right?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I might crack this thing open and see what they're using if no one else knows. There's gotta be a better electric fuel pump out there.

Curious if you could retrofit something in there. These are 12v right?

While the 16 and 18 fuel pump look the same they do have different part numbers. There are a few things to consider when looking for a replacement pump. Pressure, relief location, flow and voltage. When I say voltage I mean what will the pump put out with low voltage input ie while starting. If you have e start less of an issue but if your manual starting it may be a concern. Have you checked the fuel pickups, make sure they are clean and working.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
While the 16 and 18 fuel pump look the same they do have different part numbers. There are a few things to consider when looking for a replacement pump. Pressure, relief location, flow and voltage. When I say voltage I mean what will the pump put out with low voltage input ie while starting. If you have e start less of an issue but if your manual starting it may be a concern. Have you checked the fuel pickups, make sure they are clean and working.

Not this round but I've checked them in the past and they were fine. I'll have them out again soon.

I did notice after I posted that the different part numbers with the acenders. They may still be using the same pump inside the housing. Hundred bucks cheaper on the new ones though......hope they didn't go even lower quality.

Premium Features